Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
A lot of people have responded but I have a related question. How many of you actually live in a Class C full time? We live in our TT full time and enjoy the space. I haven't seen a C that I think we would be happy in.
I think if/when we go full-time in retirement, I'm going to seriously consider a 5th wheel. Not that it's going to be a definite, but I'd definitely like to explore it as an option.

We had GREAT times in our TT. The space was nice, and I REALLY enjoyed having a truck.

So I think we're going to have to examine how we'll travel in retirement. If we're going to spend weeks at a time in one place, I can see how a fiver or TT would be nicer. If we're constantly on the move, I'd rather stick with a MH. For longer journeys, I don't like to stop, so DW likes not being constrained to the cab of a truck. Now, that may change in retirement as well. When we're under less of a time constraint, we can afford to "stop and smell the roses" and focus more on the journey and less on booking it to a particular destination so we don't burn all our vacation time driving.

The choices I think will be between a Super C and a 5er/1T truck combo. I'm not really interested in a class A unless I can get into a diesel pusher. And while our C is just about perfect for how we use our rig now, I'd really like to be in something bigger.

Added: If we go with a MH, we can use a smaller satellite vehicle (the toad). We like to stay in suburban areas and explore cities; that will be easier with a smaller vehicle. If we're towing a 5er, we'll need a big truck, and those can lose their luster quickly in the tight quarters of a city... I know from experience with my Ram 2500; while I LOVED that truck, it was not fun trying to navigate downtown areas and parking garages...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #82
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So I think we're going to have to examine how we'll travel in retirement. If we're going to spend weeks at a time in one place, I can see how a fiver or TT would be nicer. If we're constantly on the move, I'd rather stick with a MH. For longer journeys, I don't like to stop, so DW likes not being constrained to the cab of a truck. Now, that may change in retirement as well.
Those were all the items we tried to decide on when picking a rig. We went to multiple RV shows and stopped at a few dealers, and looked at everything from TT up to Class A buses. After weighing all the pros and cons of each, we decided on the short Class C (since it's just the two of us and poochie). Then, we rented one for a long weekend, and played tourist, just to see if it was really feasible.

Even in retirement, we like to keep moving, and visit all types of places and tourist attractions. Parking the rig for extended days in one place wasn't on the itinerary. Plus, wifey gets antsey too, sitting for an extended period, so the MH allows her to get up and move around.

What works in my rig is the small size, so I can get in and park in almost every parking lot. This eliminates the need for a toad.

Also what works, once we pull into the campground at the end of the tourist day, I have a full wall slide that really opens up the inside of the rig, so it doesn't feel that small during the overnight.

Next morning, pack up and head out to more new adventures.....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #83

This thread really points out why there are so many options out there. There is no clear best for everyone. What works for one won't necessarily be good for others. The same reasons you chose your rig are the exact reasons we would be miserable in the same thing. It's really a personal choice.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
This thread really points out why there are so many options out there. There is no clear best for everyone. What works for one won't necessarily be good for others. The same reasons you chose your rig are the exact reasons we would be miserable in the same thing. It's really a personal choice.
Absolutely.

But I still think there's value in analyzing how and why people made their decisions. There's lots of things people have mentioned that I either didn't think about or didn't think about the same way. I find myself all the time saying things like "hmm, that's a good point..."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #85

We've had many RVs, all pretty small. Even our Shasta was only 21 feet, but the room was amazing. It had a back bumk area that slept four, front area above table that slept two, and the table area slept two. It had a large bathroom with tub, and the kitchen was very adequate. Storage areas were huge. We had four children; and because we mainly went to the mountains and spent a lot of time outside except on rainy days, it worked very well for us. Now we have a small Class C and love it. Like I said, we've always been used to small. When you have small, you have to know how to think small. We travel four months in the summer and never feel like we're on top of each other (just the two of us now). We've owned our motorhome for close to 4 years now - for us personally, we'd never go back for many of the reasons others have stated. We travel the country, and the ease of maneuverability and being able to decide on the fly what we're going to do and where we're going to stay are two of the biggest assets for us.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote