Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Trying to understand class C choice

Why did you choose to tow a toad, instead of hauling a trailer behind a pickup ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #2

Once you get into a motorhome and turn the key, the vacation starts. A trailer vacation doesn't start till you get to your destination.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

When you drive a motorhome the DW becomes the “ flight attendant “ ( with an attitude ) fetching Dr Pepper & snacks - if we stop in the rain I only have to go outside to plug shore power ( or not at all if at Wallyworld ) the rest can be done after the rain stops Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

I’ve been a motorhome guy for awhile but today I traded down from my C to a Travel trailer.

For me we wanted less complexity, less expense, and more useable space for the size of the box.

Plus the Rockwood I chose was perfect for my family.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Why did you choose to tow a toad, instead of hauling a trailer behind a pickup ?
I did neither. I bought a shorter Class C, which I can take and drive into anywhere, so no need for a toad.

And like two other posters stated above, the vacation starts when we pull out of the driveway and wifey can wander around all she wants (and fetch me snacks) at any time.

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

Iíll be honest, I am sure I would have a difficult time backing a trailer into tight camp spaces. Backing my class c is like backing a car only a little bigger. I have always been a motorhome guy and I am to old to change now. I also agree with reasons the other guys noted before me.
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Ok i get it .... its all about lunch LOL

on a more serious note i was curious to learn a bit more about it and why peoples are choosing a smaller cab a bit less comfy than a pick up , a smaller floor plan than a trailer for lots of money on one rig only .

Peoples are not stupid, they makes choice for some reason important to them. Im not sure that would be for me but I am always willing to learn :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post

on a more serious note i was curious to learn a bit more about it and why peoples are choosing a smaller cab a bit less comfy than a pick up , a smaller floor plan than a trailer for lots of money on one rig only .
OK, I'll bite on that one too..

We looked at everything from trailers up to Class A buses, and weighed pros and cons on each. Originally thinking of a trailer, but that got nixed due to the fact that wifey would be trapped in the front seat of the truck, and could only get up when we stopped.... I don't like to stop...

Second, buying a trailer that we liked meant I'd have to buy a new truck, as my current truck couldn't pull that size trailer.

Also, the cost of a new truck and the cost of the new trailer put me in the same range as the Class C and I love my current truck, so now I have both. Win, win.

Third, we would need a bigger space to park both the trailer and TV, and anyone who came along with us, including the dog, would be trapped in the truck until the next stop...

Did I mention I don't like to stop?

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #9

I have a couple of comments...may or may not be relevant.

1) My kids just bought a new trailer and truck to pull it. After traveling 3K miles with us, they are regretting the trailer/truck decision as they much preferred how quickly we were set up when we reached our destination, our power leveling jacks, and that they did not have access to their Jeep.

2) I want my "adventure" after I arrive and that is hiking, jeeping and such. Having a pickup may or may not meet that requirement. But I love unhooking my jeep and going to explore. My Cherokee will tow a small trailer, but then it gets the same gas mileage as towing it behind the motorhome.

Room is really a discussion between an A or a C, but I have never really felt any less room in the C versus a travel trailer. It is likely a real fact (no dispute) but I just doin't feel it.

Manuevering a C with a toad is a big negative at some gas stations since you can't back up much....points to to trailer/truck on that one.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Started out in a Class C (very 1st RV), used it for about 2 yrs. Spent 30 days in FL during the winter time, and the seating arrangement in our C did not fit our desires/needs for comfy seating on rainy days or at night for watching TV. Traded in our C for a new rear living model TT, traded in a good PU not capable of pulling the TT for a new one that can with ease, and are satisfied/happy with the situation. I would not consider going from a MH/Class C to a TT as a move "down" but it really depends on what you end up with.

Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote