Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Turn signals in side view mirrors

Has anyone installed turn signals in their Greyhawk (Ford E450) side mirrors? Or how about along the side of the MH? If yes, what lights did you use and where did you get them? Also how did you run the wires to the side mirrors? I just read about installing these lights in another forum in cars, pickups and motorhomes, but the details were not included. I think this is a good idea to prevent cars from trying to pass you on the right when you are making a right turn. This will make your intentions more clear to bicyclists and pedestrians.
I saw some nice LED marker lights used that require a 3/4” hole to be drilled but I don’t know where to run the wires or how to hook them up so they work as turn signals. Someone on the other forum said Jayco ran an ad showing these on new TT’s. Any thoughts? Thanks

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Son in Law upgraded his F-150 with after market towing mirrors because the unit he bought did not come equipped with the telescoping trailer mirrors with turn signals, remote adjustment and defrost capability. He said it went pretty easy and all the instructions were on YouTube. Have never looked into it personally, but it might be a place to do some searching for ideas.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but the mirrors I have are heated, have cameras in them and otherwise work very well. I have no need to extend them as they are very wide to begin with. What I would like is to add turn signal lights to the existing mirrors and maybe to the sides of the Greyhawk.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 AM   #4

If you are talking about the turn signal actually being part of the mirror surface give it some thought. When you are looking in the mirror to see what is behind you at night and the turn signal is on and flashing you can not see past the flashing signal. Now if the turn signal is at the end of the mirror assembly where the driver can't see it then that is a great feature. I replaced my factory mirrors that had the flashing signal in the mirror surface years ago with mirrors without that feature.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Cha-Ching.....Pricey but doable. Google the mirrors you want. You'll find all kinds of options. power folding, telescoping, heated, etc. you already have the wiring harness in your vehicle.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

I guess I wasn’t clear about my intentions. What I want is a turn signal light that is attached to the side view mirror arm but not on the mirror surface itself. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe it would be just outside the mirror so that if a turn signal was inadvertently left turned on, I could see it and then turn it off. I don’t like it when people leave their blinkers on for a long time with no intention of turning and I don’t want to be that person. Many cars have this feature of turn signals built into the side view mirrors and I would like to modify, not replace, my mirrors to have this feature. I think this is a good safety feature to have on a motorhome.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 05-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

i installed small strip LEDs for signal lights on my mirrors. They work good now anyone in my blind spot knows my intentions.
Mike1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Mike1313,
Could you show a photo? Also, how did you run the wires and attach to turn signal lights? Thanks for your response!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #9

There are wires under the dash for the signal lights. I ran a wire into the doors and down mirror arms. I had run a marker light wire as well and put it in the underside of the arm. There's a spot built into it for a light. I'll go out to the shop and get a picture of the lights.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #10

Thanks for your help. I’ll look closely at my mirror arms. The pics will help.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Old 05-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

Here are a couple pics of what I did. Cheap and easy. 👍👍
Attached Thumbnails
20190526_113455.jpg   20190526_113545.jpg  
Old 09-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #12

Hello,
Can you post a link to the orange light that is under the arm?
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

I just received the orange marker lights and they have some weird connectors. Could you share how you connected the wires to the lights?
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote