Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #21

We have a 120vac only TV. When we dry camp, I just watch shows or videos on my laptop.

I have yet to see a modern LCD or LED TV that is 12vdc. I'm sure there are some but most RVs probably have 120vac only due to cost.

I refuse to run my battery down heating an inverter so it can make 120vac for TV. Too much wasted heat made by an inverter for 120vac.

If I need something like the microwave the the generator gets called into action.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #22

I see you have a 2012 Greyhawk. Per Jayco's specification sheet (see link below), you have a generator on board. So you can always run the Genny while you are driving, (nice to have AC when it is really hot), or to recharge the batteries.

Does your MH have the TV located over the cab? You may have a safety feature that keeps the TV from from being powered up while the coach engine is running. If so, remove the outlet for the wall (disconnect all power sources), you will see an extra purple wire, cut it and cap the ends. This wire is 12 volt, to power a relay, that disables the outlet while the engine is running. The ideal is to ensure the driver does not get distracted and start watching the TV.

If you have a good battery bank, you can run an inverter off of it. I bet you already have one, that can powers a few outlets (not all, just a few). Just need to find the switch and then determine what it powers.

You could contact Jayco with your VIN number, and ask for the 12 V DC and 120 V AC wiring diagram. These two documents will show the electrical diagram. It will confirm if you have the purple relay wire, if you have an inverter, and what is connected to it. It might indicate where the inverter on/off switch is located. Others with a MH, should be able to tell you what to look for, in a switch.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2012-greyhawk-m/

Edit: I see listed in the options a 400 watt inverter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #23

Why not just run the generator?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #24

tv watching on battery power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Depends on the coach, some have inverters, some do not. If you have an inverter you may be able to watch TV without the generator but don't get too excited as you only have so much battery and that could be an issue quickly especially if you're in a place where you are limited when you can run your generator.

What coach do you have?

Thanks,
Jeff
As several have said - some TV's may be set up for DC power (straight from battery), but most modern campers have inverters and use regular TV's. If that is the case, your inverter will use a lot more power, it consumes a lot more wattage even if you're TV is only 100-200 watts, and it will consume power even when TV is off. If you are boondocking, you'll want to keep an eye on that, or you'll have a dead battery within 24 hours, and if you have it still hooked to vehicle.... that battery could be drained too.
Joshuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #25

Cool Television viewing dry camping

We have a fiver with an inverter. Switched the electrical outlet running the tele over to the inverter receptacle for the residential fridge and good to go on the dry runs. Easy peezy.

2017 37 rsts
2017 denali cc, lb,drw, duramax.
haweinberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #26

We ran our bedroom TV once while on a overnight dry camp situatuon off a portable inverter. We have a 12 cig lighter adapter next the TV AC outlet so it made the task pretty easy. Got through a 2 hour dvd move easly with lots of DC voltage to spare. If you are traveling while watching you won't have any issues as your motor coach will keep the batteries charge while you drive.. I would be a little cautious when not hooked up to a recharging system.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:25 PM   #27

They do sell 12volt TVs. Just watch your battery levels.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlos View Post
They do sell 12volt TVs. Just watch your battery levels.

Yeah - the 32" Furrion in ours pulls 45-50 watts.
That'll put a little bit of extra drain on your single coach battery.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
We have a small DVD player with it's own screen, which can operate from 12v
Or better yet, bring along a laptop with a DVD player. My current one from LG last for close to 7 hours if it is fully charged.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Yeah - the 32" Furrion in ours pulls 45-50 watts.
That'll put a little bit of extra drain on your single coach battery.
We swapped ours out for a 'smart' Roku based TV from Costco. Very happy with the new one.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote