Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
So we have a 2016 31FK with one 15K AC unit.

I too have been following the conversations on the new, two unit, coaches. What I've read is: get the two AC units if you're going to be in hot climes.

I can tell you the single unit does NOT cut it in full sun.
DITTO! - Arizona

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #22

Hmmm may have to look into seeing what the cost may be to retrofit my rig.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #23

2 ac's and black painted RV's

Would never buy an RV with a single AC. If one quits you have a back-up.

I don't get it. Paying nearly $10gs for dark paint? Black always looks dirty, hot to the touch and makes your AC's and fridge work harder.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #24
Site Team

Exactly my logic. I am having a problem with one now and the other handles it nicely.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #25

Thank you for your post, CCRADEUR. We are SOLD on the 29MV too, and have now decided to go with the standard graphics exterior with two A/C's, without a doubt. As posted later on in this thread, you should be able to retrofit it with two A/C's. Sorry you had to make a purchase that isn't performing as you had wished.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
Black always looks dirty, hot to the touch and makes your AC's and fridge work harder.

When it's 20*F outside up here, black is quite nice.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccradeur View Post
I purchased a new 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV a couple of months ago. It has one 15,000 btu air conditioner. I have the custom paint job in a dark color. The one air conditioner is totally inadequate for the hot summer days in south Louisiana. The Jayco Service manager said it was "not designed" for the south! I would suggest getting the option of 2 - 11,000 btu air conditioners if you plan on using it in 85 degree plus temperatures. I will have to address the problem before spring.
Other than the air conditioner problem we absolutely love our MH. Good quality and workmanship and the 29 MV has plenty of cabinets and counter space.
I have the 29 MV as well and we love it. I have the one A/C and live in South Florida. The single unit will cool the coach well but i have the white paint job. I would stay away from the full body paint, expensive and adds heat load. I have a small oscillating fan running most of the time the A/C is on and have no problems staying at 76 degrees even in the Fla heat. The back bedroom can get a little warm at night so leave the separating door open and no problem. The potential electric load on this coach can get get critical very fast since you're limited to 30 amps. 2 A/Cs running will put you close to max load so you wont be able to fire up much in the way of additional appliances. Believe me I know first hand.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I have the 29 MV as well and we love it. I have the one A/C and live in South Florida. The single unit will cool the coach well but i have the white paint job. I would stay away from the full body paint, expensive and adds heat load. I have a small oscillating fan running most of the time the A/C is on and have no problems staying at 76 degrees even in the Fla heat. The back bedroom can get a little warm at night so leave the separating door open and no problem. The potential electric load on this coach can get get critical very fast since you're limited to 30 amps. 2 A/Cs running will put you close to max load so you wont be able to fire up much in the way of additional appliances. Believe me I know first hand.

I live in Arizona, have posted on this before, and have a Grey Hawk 29W (2017). I had to convert my coach to two 11000 BTU A/C units because the single 15000 was absolutely worthless in anything over 85 degrees. I do not have the custom paint. I can run both A/C units, all of my lights, refrigerator and microwave all at once on 30 amps, either on plug in or on generator. Agreed, it is near max, but nonetheless it works absolutely awesome. It cools the coach down to whatever temp we desire. Believe me,and in my opinion, the factory should not just make this an option, but should include it with any coach over 26 feet in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #29

Two A/C Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post

Rodpod, I have the same situation in my fifth-wheel on 50 AMP. I just turn one unit off or raise the thermostat while using my convection oven. No big deal, so I'm well-trained and am prepared to do the same with the 29MV with two A/C's. I just want two units in case one fails. That has been how we have felt since we have owned RV's, and we look for shady sites in the summer time.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just wonder? Are you people down south stay in the coach day and night while the A/C's are running? I love the outdoors in the shade. When it is around 35C/97F I just run the A/C for a couple of hours in the evening before bedtime. Even in a vehicle running the A/C and when you go outside it feels twice as hot.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #31

We run them all day here in the South. I can't imagine not having two A/C units in a 33 foot motorhome during the heat of the summertime in Louisiana or any of the Gulf states.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Are you people down south stay in the coach day and night while the A/C's are running?
I love the outdoors in the shade. When it is around 35C/97F I just run the A/C for a couple of hours in the evening before bedtime. Even in a vehicle running the A/C and when you go outside it feels twice as hot.

I've lived in Texas heat and in Colorado cold. One thing about the heat in Texas was that shade made little difference.

Up here, at 6000' and with little humidity, shade can mean a 10* F drop. Ducking under the shade of a tree is worth it.

In Texas, it sure seemed like shade only took it from 180*F down to 179.999*F.

Here in Colorado, as soon as the sun sets, the temperatures cool off. Down in Texas, there were days it was 11pm before we'd even consider stepping outside.