Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #41

If your awning needs to be tied down, might get ready to buy a new one!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #42

Awning Stabilizer fo Carefree of Colorado

I lost my awning to whats called heavy air in New Mexico (insurance covered all but 100 dollars) since then I found that each awning has different stabilizing kits and now can leave my awning out unless I know winds will be over 25+ mph hope this is helpful

https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-R019...0016780&sr=8-1
Mojodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #43

We have a Carefree awning. We never tie it down. It's made to not have to be tied down. We've seen awnings ripped to pieces in sudden wind storms when the awning was out and tied down. With the wind, tying is not an insurance policy. As soon as the winds come, the awning comes in; and we never leave it out when we're not around. We usually bring it in at bedtime, too. We've had sudden wind storms come up in the middle of the night, and that's not fun.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #44

Should have been more precise my carefree of Colorado longitude awning was destroyed by wind in New Mexico so I got carefree of Colorado awning stabilizers and now have been able to easily sustain 25 mph winds with no worries
Mojodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
Depending on the awning, I'm with the NO group. I think the older awnings with the posts that would stake to the ground are okay. But the electric awning with the scissor arms and shock just seem too vulnerable. If we had a solid connection to the ground that would be different.
I made a couple of arms from heavy duty paint roller extension handles. Put a screw in U hook on one end of each one. This allows me to have legs on the awning and with tie down ropes. Has worked for 5 years if we are set up for an extended period of time.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Viking View Post
It seems as though the newer electrical awnings are easily damaged in wind gusts!
I’m providing a link to a product you might want to consider if your electrical awning will be extended over grass. https://theclaw.com/product/c-200-aw...horing-system/
I can say from experience that the claw works great on older rv’s with the awning posts removed off the rv & anchored to the claws, however using them on electric awnings is something that presents challenges, mainly carrying a tall enough step ladder to reach the awning corners & figuring an attachment method on the electric awning corners. BTW, the claw works great for anchoring your dog to a grassy area! No more tangles!!
$80.00 I use these from a dollar store. I think they we’re a couple of dollars each
Attached Thumbnails
29FDC284-BBC8-47AC-9B79-7573A3A1C816.jpeg  
NockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #47

I'm very protective of my awning. if the suns not out or I'm sleeping or not around its pulled in. I see the slightest breeze and its in. I see lots wrap lights and decorative stuff all over their awnings and think to myself by the time that gust of wind rolls in and you take all the debris off that awnings its already over.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:05 AM   #48

hi Boudreaux, as we ha buy recently our 30.5 mlok, with the dometic electric awning , I'm a little scary, to strap it to the ground. I know that there is some strap with coil, that allow the awning to gingle,with the wind, but in case of strong wind, I'm not sure that those electric awning, are build strong enough . and each time we leave the fifth wheel, I took time to retract the awning . we have owned before another trailer with the manual, awning, and I notice that the arms of it were stronger and have no gas cylinders . maybe in the future when I get more confident, I will try sometime to strap it to the ground, but not yet.

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
I'm very protective of my awning. if the suns not out or I'm sleeping or not around its pulled in. I see the slightest breeze and its in. I see lots wrap lights and decorative stuff all over their awnings and think to myself by the time that gust of wind rolls in and you take all the debris off that awnings its already over.
We camp on the beach in our 30 foot Jayco Greyhawk quite often.. It has a manual awning on it. Since the beach always seems to have a wind blowing either in or out to sea, I carry 2 empty one gallon water bottles. I fill them full of sand and hang them from the out side corners of my awning with bungee straps.. This way they can give and take with the wind but still hold the awning down very well.
The bottles can be filled with sand or water then emptied when not in use so you are not carrying the extra weight.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #50

I don't tie mine down, ever

Seen wayyyyyyyy to many awnings fold up from wind
I close mine and bust out a canopy if I gotta have shade
$75 vs $2000
I'll chance the $75 every day
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote