Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Tying down the RV Awning

I have asked many RV owners and get so many mixed answers. SO I feel that I should give you a chance at this issue.

I know and accept the danger of damage in having the awning out should a dangerous wind come up suddenly and unexpectedly, so the only time the awning is out is in our presents. For this reason, the awning is very seldom used.

I have noticed (while camping) many awnings out and strapped down over the course of a full weekend ... many times no one around.

Many say strapping the awning to the ground is a final solution to potential damage to high winds, others say "NO WAY"...

What is your opinion to strapping the awning to the ground in case of a un-foreseen gust of wind? We are not talking hurricanes here just an un-expected wind.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #2

The awning can fail at many points. It's just a matter of which points fail depending on how the awning has been deployed in a high wind event. The folks in the strap the awning to the ground crowd risk having the awning ripped from the awning rail on the RV.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

Its not worth the risk, I vote NO
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

I have tied down my awning many times to prevent damage from a gust of wind without any problems. If a storm comes up I bring it in. If I leave for the day I bring it in.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

I am NOT a fan of these power awnings. This is one of the reasons I wish a had a manual awning.

On my previous TT with the manual awning, I used to stake down the extension arms directly to the ground and never had any issues. Also was also alot easier to slope it for rain runoff. The rafter arms were alot sturdier also as you applied tension to them to prevent buffeting and shaking during windy conditions.

Since these power awnings are so flimsy, I never leave it extended during windy conditions.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

Depending on the awning, I'm with the NO group. I think the older awnings with the posts that would stake to the ground are okay. But the electric awning with the scissor arms and shock just seem too vulnerable. If we had a solid connection to the ground that would be different.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I am NOT a fan of these power awnings. This is one of the reasons I wish a had a manual awning.

Since these power awnings are so flimsy, I never leave it extended during windy conditions.
X2
Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #8

Last campground we were at, one owner had eye hooks in the concrete pad that he secured the awning to. Big wind came, eye hooks held, bolts holding awning to trailer didn't. Last year another camping neighbor left the awning out. Big wind came, awning wrapped up and over the roof. Awning arms pretzeled.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
Last campground we were at, one owner had eye hooks in the concrete pad that he secured the awning to. Big wind came, eye hooks held, bolts holding awning to trailer didn't. Last year another camping neighbor left the awning out. Big wind came, awning wrapped up and over the roof. Awning arms pretzeled.
LOL, Cant fix stupid.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Awning out only if we are sitting under it.
Obviously not in wind.
Bear in mind we live in a land of no hot sun.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #11

If we are with the MH, the awning can be out. The minute we leave the camp ground or go to bed, it gets rolled in. No stakes or straps for us.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

My awning is out 24/7 and it's a Carefree electric. I pay close attention to the weather and if no severe weather/high wind event is predicted it stays deployed. I love sitting under the awning during a rain event, it's relaxing.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #13

First time I actually had the opportunity to have the awning out was last weekend. Wind, room, etc. prevented me from using it earlier. Two things:

Thanks to the fellow RV'er who flagged me down as I was pulling out. Was proud of myself that I was ready to roll in short order, just forgot to retract the awning!!!

When I finally extended it, there as a line of mold, dirt on the underside that I didn't catch when washing the RV. Good to watch for if you'r not extending it over time.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

Since we spend lots of time on the beaches of the US in our Motor Home, we like to have our awning extended. This is just about impossible on the beach since the wind blows all the time.
I filled two one gallon water bottles with sand, I bungee them from each out side corner of the awning. The wind still lift and causes the awning to bounce a bit , but the bungees bounce with it. So it is a give and take on both the outside edge and the edge against the motor home.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #15

I’ve lost three sets of awning arms on these Carefree awnings on my 5th wheel. Once was a freak storm that came from nowhere and a gust wrapped it over my roof before I could get both awnings in. Second time was gust of wind on a sunny day with puffy white clouds in the sky. One gust, one bounce, and pretzel arms. Third time was at a campground back in the trees, another gust on a nice day, bounced and arms buckled. These awnings are the bottom of the barrel, shame I have something I’m almost afraid to use. I told the dealer to keep arms in stock just for me since I’m under warranty for another 3 years.
Once my warranty is up I’m looking into something different
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #16

Mine has been staked out every summer since new 2004. I pin the feet to the ground with spikes, and anchor the rollup bar with tie downs to screw in ground anchors, Fabric flopper stoppers also help keep things tight. If wind picks up, we roll it in and ride out the storm. It has been deployed at times for a full week or more no issues.
G.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post

On my previous TT with the manual awning, I used to stake down the extension arms directly to the ground and never had any issues. Also was also alot easier to slope it for rain runoff. The rafter arms were alot sturdier also as you applied tension to them to prevent buffeting and shaking during windy conditions.

X3. Ours is a manual, and I stake it to the ground with a pair of HF ratchet straps and those nail style stakes. The flapper stops get used, too. I like to sit under it during a rain, also. If there's going to be a serious wind, it does get rolled up. It's just common sense to us.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #18

I have ratchet straps and ground anchors, it stabilizes the small gusts and light winds, anything more than a light wind or sustained gusts, I unhook and roll it up. Never had a problem, trailer is 7 years old.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
My awning is out 24/7 and it's a Carefree electric. I pay close attention to the weather and if no severe weather/high wind event is predicted it stays deployed. I love sitting under the awning during a rain event, it's relaxing.
I agree,
Same here.

Got to pay attention to the weather. If it is a bad weather day, before we leave, I look at the radar and wind charts and pressure charts. Those pressure charts are great at telling you where the wind will be coming from and about how fast.
If I don't like what I see, the awning comes in.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #20
jrl

I agree with the majority. Take it in when your not there.
The safest place for your awning is rolled in. Don't take a chance.
jrl is offline   Reply With Quote