Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

UltraGauge ------ Codes

Last season I installed an UltraGauge to help monitor engine performance on our 2017 Melbourne 24K (3L Diesel). In particular, I was interested in Coolant and Transmission Temps, boost, load,etc.

Longer story short ------ Bringing the unit out of winter storage recently, I started the engine and noticed UltraGauge displaying/sounding a P20EA Alarm Code. Googling this code, it's described as:

Fault Code Definition

Reductant Control Module Power Relay De-Energized Performance

"What does this mean? Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is used to assist in converting leftover exhaust particles to harmless gases. In order to burn off those particles, the temperature of the exhaust system needs to increase. the injection of DEF Fluid into the exhaust stream brings Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) up to temperature. The system is then able to convert harmful NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and water. The Reductant Catalyst (SRC) was added to further reduce any NOx was still in the exhaust stream. The DPF system is controlled by the Reductant Control Module on many vehicles. This module receives power from a relay when the vehicle is turned on and is De-energized by the relay when the key is turned off. If the module does not power down within a set time frame, code P20E9 will be stored.

UltraGauge permits me to "cancel" this notification/alarm, but --------
If anyone else has experienced this, what did you/should one do to more permanently rectify this? Or -------- just ignore it?

Rudy & Claire Peters
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #2

I searched on the Sprinter-forum and didn't come up with much. Unfortunately the UG just gives generic codes and not really much help with Sprinters. Here are a couple threads that may or not help you.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ighlight=P20ea
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ighlight=P20ea

I would not clear the code.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks PF
I'm taking it in for "annual" oil/filter change tomorrow ------
I'll ask Tech his opinion.
Rudy

Rudy & Claire Peters
Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #4

Pfflyer --------- I just returned from oil/filter service, and I'm not a lot smarter. I asked about P20EA code on Ultragauge. They don't recognize it directly; use different scanners; would have to "Analyse" for another $85.00.
I read the links you offered ---- again, not a direct answer. However, I did not have a check engine light appear, or suffer any lack of power. In as much as some onine info suggests association with DEF, I'm wondering whether the Ultragauge is smart enough to recognize the difference between "Authentic MB Adblue" versus generic DEF available at Service Stations, etc. I topped up DEF with non ADBLU brand?????????
Since nothing (alarm, or lights) is showing up on the Sprinter Dash, someone without an UltraGauge, or Equiv. wouldn't even be aware of a potential issue. For now, the informational search continues.

Rudy & Claire Peters
Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

All the DEF I have seen in the US meets the MB specs but it wouldn't hurt to check to make sure. The specs are in the manual and I think are stamped on the filler cap. Did you get an "A " service? A scan should be part of the service if you went to a MB dealer. I am going tomorrow and I will verify that is true. It could be just a false read but who knows. There are dedicated scanners that do a better job but they still don't do all the MB scanner will do.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

No, PF ------- There's not an MB Dealer in our immediate area, but there is a Eurotech Center which services a variety of European/British vehicles in keeping with OEM specs.
As such, I did not get the Dealer's "A" service. Just an oil/filter change this time around.
Thanks
Rudy

Rudy & Claire Peters
Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

HI again PF
Went to Mercedes-Benz DTC Fault Code List
Found their P20EA code which reads P20EA cylinder 4 ion current signal lose or error.(P0304)
Don't know how significant that may be ------- if you're still checking in with MB tomorrow, might they shed some light on that?
Thanks

Rudy & Claire Peters
Old 05-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrc2 View Post
No, PF ------- There's not an MB Dealer in our immediate area, but there is a Eurotech Center which services a variety of European/British vehicles in keeping with OEM specs.
As such, I did not get the Dealer's "A" service. Just an oil/filter change this time around.
Thanks
Rudy
As long as they use the correct oil and fluids you should not have a problem. The specs have changed since Blue Efficiency and the old specs could clog the DPF filter.

One thing you might want to have checked next time you have it serviced is the U-bolts on the rear axle. From what I gather is it is normal for the u-bolt to stretch under stress. It is one thing that is done with an A service especially the first one. Here is another thread for you to look at. It gets in the weeds some but some good information amongst the weeds about the u-bolts. There is a MB service bulletin PDF in the thread. You can do it yourself or print it out and give it to a shop to get them to do it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ght=membership

There are also computer updates from time to time. On my 2013 cargo since new I know of at least 2 updates. There hasn't been any notifications that I got in the mail I just noticed it on the receipts.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrc2 View Post
HI again PF
Went to Mercedes-Benz DTC Fault Code List
Found their P20EA code which reads P20EA cylinder 4 ion current signal lose or error.(P0304)
Don't know how significant that may be ------- if you're still checking in with MB tomorrow, might they shed some light on that?
Thanks
I will see if I can talk to one of the techs but unless you have the Star computer to scan it and give the 5 digit code and then another 4 or 5 digit number the code the generic scanner provides can be a wallet flush. There is a Snap On program that comes close to the Star but it cant perform updates. The UG is best used for mileage and monitoring PID's and not for trouble shooting. I think when I did a scan with my scan gauge once for fun it threw some codes but when the dealer scanned it there was nothing to report stored or other wise.
I'm sure your garage probably uses the Snap-On or something similar if they do a lot of MB and import work. I think it is a $20k initial investment then there is yearly dues and training costs. That is why the want to charge $85 to scan it. I think I heard the Star system is twice that much.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

UltraGuage

petersrc2
If the relay de-energigized but the contact arm was stuck closed or reluctant to open the module would not power down in a normal time frame. Could be the UltraGuage saw the timing error or reported something else. Go figure.
Curious how the Ultra gauge did showing oil pressure-temps-etc.
I to have a 2017 Melbourne and don't like not seeing whats going on.
Is it worth adding the UltraGuage?

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozerBob View Post
petersrc2
If the relay de-energigized but the contact arm was stuck closed or reluctant to open the module would not power down in a normal time frame. Could be the UltraGuage saw the timing error or reported something else. Go figure.
Curious how the Ultra gauge did showing oil pressure-temps-etc.
I to have a 2017 Melbourne and don't like not seeing whats going on.
Is it worth adding the UltraGuage?

BullDozerBob
Thanks BDBob
Yep ------ coming out a Monaco, where there was "Electronic Information for everything", I was a bit taken aback that the Mercedes instrument cluster didn't show the usual measurements of interest to many RVers. Coolant Temp, Tranny Temp, Boost, VDC, etc.
My Ultragauge "EM plus" pretty well satisfies those questions with the exception of Tranny Temp. This model doesn't interface with Mercedes sensor(s), but as I understand it, their newer "MX" version does.

Rudy & Claire Peters