Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Uncomfortable seats

The captain and passenger seats in our 2015 Precept 31UL are very uncomfortable as they lack lumbar support. I'm thinking of getting different seats which will probably cost a small fortune. Any suggestions on lumbar pillows? Anyone ever switched out seats? They're both 6 way power. Thanks.
Chuck
Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

We had a 2015 Precept also and the seats were bad. Used pillows to help on our trip to Florida. Traded the 31ul for a 35. Seats are the same. Not good. Good luck with your search.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

That's an easy fix. Make Cindy drive and you go kick back on the couch and have a beer.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #4

"Any suggestions on lumbar pillows?" An inexpensive and effective lumbar support recommended by a physical therapist: roll up a bath towel to the thickness you need. It works for me. After I got it where it was comfortable, I secured it with Velcro straps so I don't have to adjust it each time. And it washable.

Also, there are 12V seat liners that have heat and massage features that are worth checking into as well. (I like my towel better.)
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
"Any suggestions on lumbar pillows?" An inexpensive and effective lumbar support recommended by a physical therapist: roll up a bath towel to the thickness you need. It works for me. After I got it where it was comfortable, I secured it with Velcro straps so I don't have to adjust it each time. And it washable.

Also, there are 12V seat liners that have heat and massage features that are worth checking into as well. (I like my towel better.)
I found that 2 kitchen towels is about the right thickness when I drive my truck.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

I had a bad skiing accident 9 months ago and sustained a fractured back and femur. I always found the seats in my F150 very uncomfortable before the injuries but afterward it was unbearable. I had an upolstery place remove the covers and add padding to the lumbar and seat base as well as a heated seat pad which is fantastic. This all in was around $500 but a much cheaper option than replacing the seats all together.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

This same issue is on some other brand motorhome threads. We went through similar, but ended up trading coaches before changing the seats. I've seen where people have repositioned the stock seats / pedestals which of course requires drilling new mounting holes and making sure proper structure is tapped into, or, completely changed the pedestal and seat. It can be done no doubt. All depends on how much money you want to sink into it. Our plan was to put some leather seats out of a Ford van or truck. We wanted seats with better lumbar, and some that were narrower. I know why they make the seats wide, but after driving a class A for 6 plus hours, spreading my wings just to get my arms on the rests became very uncomfortable. Heck I was hurting bad after just 3 hours. I feel your pain and hope you can come to a good resolution. It's yours, so make it worth the money spent on it. What good is a $80k plus rig if it isn't comfortable to drive.

I do like what DJL1967 did. I've heard of that as well, and is a great alternative to new seats.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

All good ideas guys. Especially Locky's suggestion about having a beer on the couch while Cindy drives. She handled our 23' class C like a champ but the larger class A intimidates her. I had an idea of talking to our local prosthetist about making me a custom molded back rest. Sort of like a giant orthotic. Long distance truckers use them. Probably pricey but well worth it if it helps make driving the rig not such a painful experience.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

Let us know how you resolved it, and if it works for you. There will be a lot of folks interested in that.

If I pass you on I471 and you look comfortable, I'll know you made something work. When we lived in Cincinnati, we used to run the dogs at Highland Park every so often. I'll bet you know where that's at.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

cheaper result

check out the healthy back store, &/or a mesh back support that bed bath beyond carried for awhile. i've had back surgery and those items plus core strengthening exercises work like a charm. good luck.
C & C is offline   Reply With Quote