Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #1

Under Chassis tire carrier

Hello looking for feed back from 30X owners in the 2019 area as many models vary on tank locations under chassis. Has anyone with that model installed the lippert or BAL spare tire holder that bolts to rear chassis? Has it worked out well with ground clearance? Any pic available on your mounting?
Thanks.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #2

Here's mine, retract a spare by BAL. 2020 Greyhawk 30X. No ground clearance issue yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Retract a spare 1.jpg  
JG30X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG30X View Post
Here's mine, retract a spare by BAL. 2020 Greyhawk 30X. No ground clearance issue yet.
I have been looking for a BAL Retract a Spare for a few weeks. I can't find a source for one. Everyone is out of stock and not sure if anymore are coming. If anyone has a source for one please let me know!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Is your fresh tank sitting on the chassis frame back there? Did you drill a larger hole on pass side to access the lowering device? Do you remember the model number on the Bal?
Old 05-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Is your fresh tank sitting on the chassis frame back there? Did you drill a larger hole on pass side to access the lowering device? Do you remember the model number on the Bal?
BAL 28240 is the part number I am looking for. "Retract-A-Spare Tire Carrier".
Old 05-25-2021, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Fresh water tank sits on the frame. The spare tire fits perfectly between the fresh water tank and the bumper. The spare tire carrier comes with 2 long pieces. I have to cut about a foot from each piece to fit between the frame. Drill bigger hole to fit the lowering nut on the passenger side and 4 smaller holes to attach to the frame. I did not use the 2 shorter tire braces but instead bought a thinner c-chanel from menards. This would give me a little more clearance than the braces that come with it. I also replaced all bolts with grade 8. I just want to make sure it stays put.
It's hard to find one now. I know a few people have been trying to get it. I bought mine last fall.
JG30X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #7

I bought a spare wheel and measured the thickness. It's about 9.5" from the sidewall to the top of the hub on the rim. Measurement from the top of the frame to the bottom of the hitch receiver (lowest point on the 2 corners) is about 8.25" or so. The wheel will still sit below the hitch, but not much.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Fresh water tank sits on the frame. The spare tire fits perfectly between the fresh water tank and the bumper. The spare tire carrier comes with 2 long pieces. I have to cut about a foot from each piece to fit between the frame. Drill bigger hole to fit the lowering nut on the passenger side and 4 smaller holes to attach to the frame. I did not use the 2 shorter tire braces but instead bought a thinner c-chanel from menards. This would give me a little more clearance than the braces that come with it. I also replaced all bolts with grade 8. I just want to make sure it stays put.
It's hard to find one now. I know a few people have been trying to get it. I bought mine last fall.

I think if we had the option of mounting it closer to the rear end that would get more clearance. I'm battling with going through the hassle of doing all that work on my back or just buy the hitch style that lowers tire to the ground.

Appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 05-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the input folks