Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Under couch drawer slide is damaged

My 2005 Jayco 24SS has a "jacknife" couch with two drawers under it. The slides on one drawer are damaged: the ball cages are bent and all the bearings have fallen out. I retrieved 12 of the 44 needed. Does anyone know where I can get replacement slides? New cages and balls would be adequate, too; even new bearings would likely let me repair the original slides.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #2

Try..... http://www.rockler.com/hardware/draw...-drawer-slides
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Thanks, David; unfortunately, none in the link match what I have. I did find I could buy 100 balls on Amazon (two day delivery, $8 total!), so that will give me enought to repair my slides; mainly, it's the ball cages that are damaged, but I think I can straighten them, replace the balls, and be done with it in 30 minutes. The other drawer was in better shape, and was easy to fix. The drawers are huge, and my wife is ecstatic to have so much inside storage space, especially since the wardrobe is smaller than our old motorhome, because the slide takes away about 18" of width.

I did contact Accuride, the manufacturer of the couch drawer slides, but it's a custom order, and they didn't recognize it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

I just replaced my drawer slides. Lowe's has the best selection and Home Depot second in line. Take an old slide to store and use as a matching unit. The weight capacity should be stamped on your existing slide. Purchase the highest rated weight capacity slides. They are sold in sets and I believe mine cost in the area of $13.00. Easy to replace, but may have to drill a new mounting hole in replacement units to match your existing rail mounting holes. Make certain the new units extend to the correct length.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

I looked at Home Depot and Lowes, but neither had the style the couch drawers use. Those are actually mounted on the floor of the slideout, and the bottom of the drawer:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slides for under-couch drawer.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	10590 Under the couch drawer slide - channel piece (small pieces are the ball cages)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide rail on the underside of the drawer.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	10591 Drawer bottom drawer slide - pieces that go into the channel piece

I got some 3/16" steel balls from Amazon for $8, and I think I can repair the cages. Did that on the other drawer, but couldn't find all the balls for the second drawer.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #6

Those are probably Accuride 2590's. Knape & Vogt, as well as others, also makes what is referred to as a Pantry Slide. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap. You will pay around $60/pair for that slide. They are rated around 155lbs/pr, but are the only style that mounts like that.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link about the one's mentioned.
You might call them or look around website for correct slides.

http://www.drawerslides.com/knape-vo...ntry-slide-ano

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Here's a link about the one's mentioned.
You might call them or look around website for correct slides.
Thanks for the lead. They look like good slides; however; those are similar, but not the same, as they have an extra slide that gives them full extension. The slides on my couch drawers are relatively lightweight by comparison, with much smaller ball cages. I was able to easily repair them today with the balls I got from Amazon, and they work fairly smoothly. It appears the drawer with the biggest problem (all balls gone, ball cages not even in the slides) had slides with the bottom rails installed backwards! The stops don't function that way, and the first time it's pulled it too far, the balls and cages will fall out, leaving the drawer to slide metal-to-metal instead of on ball bearings. The other drawer was installed properly, still worked fairly well, though it was missing 3 or 4 balls out of 44.