Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Unhappy Class C owner

I am in complete shock that Camping World and Jayco have a 100% disregard for their customers. I bought a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk; I could not get the wintering process to work per the owners manual. Camping World determined that it was customer error and charged me $75. I have only had the coach 3 months. This attitude stinks!!!
kenarant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF. We are glad you found us and hope we can save you from any future troubles or heartache.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenarant View Post
I am in complete shock that Camping World and Jayco have a 100% disregard for their customers. I bought a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk; I could not get the wintering process to work per the owners manual. Camping World determined that it was customer error and charged me $75. I have only had the coach 3 months. This attitude stinks!!!
JAYCO had nothing to do with it!
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Welcome to JOF!

So much depends on the local dealer in issues such as this. If you hang around these pages I think you will find Jayco as a company, and many dealers, do take good care of their customers. Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope things go better in the future.

I think you will find lots of helpful information and owners here, please take advantage of their knowledge!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I love the 1st post rants

Soooo you attempt to winterize and fail. Then you take it to a service center and get charged to complete what you attempted to do. Tell me how is this anyone's fault but your own. Is it fair to blame Jayco or CW?
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Yeah, I don't get this one either.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of videos on youtube showing the procedure.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of threads on this forum describing the procedure.

There are hundreds of cool people here that would have taken the time to walk you through any problems or questions you may have had.

All that said, you decided to have CW winterize for you. Heck, a lot of people pay someone to winterize for them every year, no problem. Do it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you. Is their a 3rd option?

Normally, most of us would say hey! Welcome to JOF (being your first post and all) and I'll wish you a warm welcome anyway, but your not going to get any sympathy with your dilemma on that one.

I hope you took notes for next year.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

I'm inclined to believe $75 was a fair price for winterizing. Now if all they did was listen to your story and charge you then you have a complaint.

What work did they perform? What was incorrect in your manual?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #8

I guess it would come down to whether they "followed the manual" and it worked or not at Co. Off the cuff, it sounds like the o.p. was looking for sympathy but without an explanation as to what camping world did or did not do after taking their money and whether or not they're now winterized, it's tough to say.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Sure sorry for your frustration. There are many here who would have walked you thru it or referred you to some reference online and saved you the frustration.

Welcome to JOF.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #10

Nothing is free at camping world except their popcorn. I remember about 10 years ago I took 2 units in for the state inspections. At any truck garage it is 27.00 each.period. Well they both passed but I paid the usually fee, but also a labor fee on both and neither had any issues. Lesson Learned. I never went back for state inspections again. Sometimes you learn the hard way, it's just the way it is.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

Um, winterization is not a warranty issue, but solely relies on the owner. You either do it yourself (with help from forum, manual, Youtube or inet), or pay to have it done. I understand the confusion for 1st timers, we have all been there. I think the manual is pretty straight forward (2015 Greyhawk) and process understandable. Yep $75 is a fair price - our dealer charges $89 I think.

Kenarant, you will learn to love this forum for your next issue/question/procedure - it has a wealth of information for 1st timers to seasoned RVers!
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

I understand your frustration. I found the manual to be lacking in a specific step. Luckily i found this forum and get help!! Good luck and ask away!!!!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #13

The OP has not returned to comment further so I am inclined to think "Troll" - why join a forum of a specific product / owners and brand bash on first post epecially when it was clearly unwarranted?????

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Therapy?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Therapy?
Quite possibly...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
The OP has not returned to comment further so I am inclined to think "Troll" - why join a forum of a specific product / owners and brand bash on first post epecially when it was clearly unwarranted?????
Venting.
It happens on the Internet.

A lot.

Let's hope he/she comes back. I learned a lot from this place and other RV forums on the Care and Feeding of a motorhome.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Venting.
It happens on the Internet.

A lot.

Let's hope he/she comes back. I learned a lot from this place and other RV forums on the Care and Feeding of a motorhome.
Since the OP bailed on this thread, I'm empowered to hijack it.

I see we're neighbors pconroy

How do you like the sub zero temps we have this morning?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Sure, it's probably pilot error. But I'm inclined to go a bit easier on the guy. While I don't really have to worry about winterization specifically, there are many people here with lots of experience. It really is a very good resource on this message board, and you'll get a lot of help if you just ask. You may get a bit of harrassment if you're actually doing something wrong. But a newb has to expect a bit of that. Don't get your feelings hurt, as some messages come across a bit harsher than they were intended in writing.

Like a lot of things, this process has to be done right, and there are a few tips you can get from experienced users. I've read some of them. These are complicated machines these days, and shortcuts to learning how they actually work can be found. Knowledge is everything. Especially the knowledge about what sort of help should be expected from any dealer or from Jayco. They are simply tailoring how much time they will spend with you free of charge, to whatever the industry standards are. They really can't take the time to tutor you on every unclear procedure, every time it comes up. Manuals are lacking a bit, which is why a resource like this forum are so valuable. A little research here goes a long way.

RV owners are usually pretty resourceful people, and usually willing to share their discoveries and knowledge. Good luck with the new motorhome.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #19

I have learned one thing about a RV is if your not mechanically inclined better have a fat wallet and lots of time to have things fixed or tweaked. As far as winterizing my Greyhawk that pump can be a bear to prime playing with valves gets it started, I think next time I am going to use the manual pump to push the antifreeze thru the system. I found putting the jug higher than the pump helps to start the prime.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #20

Don't know about his setup but on my Redhawk, jayco had the pluming in the service center hooked up wrong and once I figured that out had no problems drawing water or antifreeze through system. Dealer fixed it during a warranty repair stop.
OTChief is offline   Reply With Quote