Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Update on my Greyhawk furnace problems (long)

Some of you might remember my troubles with my 06 Greyhawk furnace - no heat, no blow. I found a switch in the wiring next to the furnace that was OFF, but that wasn't the problem. Since we intend to go to the final game of the season in mid-November, I finally took it to a Jayco dealer. After looking around, he asked, "Where's the thermostat?" I responded, "On the bedroom wall." He said, "That's for the ceiling fan. Are you sure you have a furnace, cause there's no thermostat." While we were walking around, he found that the AC was not original equipment. It's the same type I had in my Sunnybrook trailer - reach up and turn it ON/OFF. Works fine. He pointed out that the AC was supposed to blow cold air out of the vents in the ceiling. He said that whoever replaced the AC unit had probably removed the thermostat for some reason. He assured me that he would install a thermostat and have the furnace working next day. He called the next day to say he had it working, but the contraption (my word) that allowed the AC to blow through the vents had been removed, too. Did I want that re-installed. "Of course," says I.
Now, I'm feeling pretty dumb about the whole thing. When I first looked at the RV, it was warm weather and I didn't try firing up the furnace. I saw the thermostat and thought that was enough. The AC looked like what I was used to, so it seemed good enough. The previous (second) owner had owned the RV for less than a year (a baseball season - his kids played on traveling teams) and had never used the furnace. I'm assuming the original owner had replaced a faulty AC with the current one. Why he didn't continue to route the air through the vents is beyond me. It appears he might have removed the thermostat that would operate the furnace and the AC and that would reveal his rigging up the replacement AC in the cheapest possible way. The service guy called late yesterday to say that everything is installed and both systems are working properly. I'm leaving to pick it up in a few minutes. I'll find out then how much my ignorance is going to cost me. This isn't the first time my ignorance has proved expensive. Thanks for your help and good suggestions. Who knew?

One more thing. While I was at the dealer, I walked through a new 2015 Precept 31U. That is a sweet little class A, loaded with a bunch of really neat extras for a reasonable list price. My wife was impressed, too. Makes me think about changing horses. Maybe next year. Any of you guys own or look at one of these?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

Widewader............don't beat yourself up too much. You've shared some of the experiences that first time buyers hopefully will read and put one more thing on their list to check. It is truly amazing how some people can cannibalize an RV. Just hope the pocket damage is light for you.
Do a search on the Precept 31 UL on here. There is an ever increasing following and owners. Take into consideration that a lot of threads are started because someone has problems. Then the discussion escalates with more contributors........but more often than not some great, simple resolve is found.
On a personal note here is the thread we started when we got our 31 UL in July.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20949
We are very happy with our 31 UL and look forward to our future travels.
Let us know what questions you have.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Widewader... Just chalk it up as experience. Nothing like knowing as much as you can when buying a used rig. There is something to be said about having a proposed used rig checked out by a professional as a condition of purchase.

At least, when you trade up you will know it is right for the next owner.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote