Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

Upgrade stock deep Cycle 27 Battery in step well

Hello everyone. I have a 2020 Greyhawk Prestige 30XP and need some advise. The coach stock group 27 battery is just not giving me the juice I need on road trips. I have been reading many of the threads and am getting ready to make some changes. I am reluctant to go lithium since I see its not compatible with the aux. start on the chassis , and I am not even sure if I could just simply go lithium.
I am thinking about going with 2 Duracell deep Cycle group 31 AGM's ( I saw a video on you tube showing a guy who dropped two of these in the steps we have and parallel them pretty easily https://youtu.be/6-k7PUWFRMg

These batteries are available at Sams club making it easy to get when needed. Would anyone suggest anything else to me ? Again, I am limited with my abilities to customize - I am looking for a simple solution that will greatly improve what I have. Note - I am not boon docking but rather driving 2 or 3 days before connecting to shore power...it would be nice to have the juice to get through several days...I appreciate the insight. Thank you
jellyjamblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyjamblue View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 2020 Greyhawk Prestige 30XP and need some advise. The coach stock group 27 battery is just not giving me the juice I need on road trips. I have been reading many of the threads and am getting ready to make some changes. I am reluctant to go lithium since I see its not compatible with the aux. start on the chassis , and I am not even sure if I could just simply go lithium.
I am thinking about going with 2 Duracell deep Cycle group 31 AGM's ( I saw a video on you tube showing a guy who dropped two of these in the steps we have and parallel them pretty easily https://youtu.be/6-k7PUWFRMg

These batteries are available at Sams club making it easy to get when needed. Would anyone suggest anything else to me ? Again, I am limited with my abilities to customize - I am looking for a simple solution that will greatly improve what I have. Note - I am not boon docking but rather driving 2 or 3 days before connecting to shore power...it would be nice to have the juice to get through several days...I appreciate the insight. Thank you
Why go through the expense and added weight when you can run your generator (even while driving) to keep the battery topped off?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #3

Sometimes after driving late we like to sleep in after 7am. I can tell you on several occasions having the heat thermo on the propane alarm goes off 0500-0600 because of low power.. Your point however is very valid. Maybe I just do one new deep cycle with higher amp which is an improvement over the oem battery. We love the generator but it is loud when you are trying to sleep.
jellyjamblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

I’ve never run my ‘C’ unplugged overnight - does the one group 27 not have enough juice to get through one evening? Asking purely out of ignorance as I’ve never tried. I would hope that starting the night fully topped off with the generator would get you through. Even if you had to run the genny right up until you were lights out.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #5

The original battery we had would be almost dead after running the furnace at night in Yellowstone during June. I added second 12v which solved issue. When 5hey die I will go to two 6v Trojan batteries. When we had the one we did run generator right before quiet hours to top off battery. Still was not enough. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:53 AM   #6

Ahhh - anywhere I’ve had to lay over I never had to run the furnace overnight. That changes things up.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #7

If you've been driving all day, the coach battery should be fully charged from the alternator. If that won't get you through the night (running furnace, etc) then I think your idea of upgrading to two AGMs is a good one. That will double your capacity with no changes to the rest of your system. If the single LA battery is being routinely run down to the point of low voltage disconnect, it also may not last long. I'd go with the two AGMs.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Adding a second battery, whether it be a second LA or two new AGMs should solve your problem. I just dry camped for a 4 days and only ran the generator for an hour or so in the morning and at night before bed and had no issues with the batteries. I just have two LA batteries for now, when they die I’ll be getting AGMs.