Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #1

Upgrades and splices, relocations

I'm installing my Victron Quattro and upgrading to a 48v system. The SLA batteries are going away.

There will be DC-DC converter for all 12 loads fed from the 48v bank.

I plan to remove the existing CONVERTER via the two wires in the Load Center and connect my 12v supply. 2 cables from the step down DC-DC

I'm removing the inverter and both transfer switches as this is now handled bu the Quattro. On the load center I plan to wire in the Line, Neutral and Ground and leave everything else in place for the 120v and 12v distribution. 1 cable 3 conductor cable from the Quattro A/C OUT

1) Regarding the "Battery Cutoff Switch" I can relocate this item and function to where the DC-DC converter is located for same functionality.

2) Regarding the alternator feed to the existing house battery - I plan to use the battery cable run going to the existing inverter as a feed for a new and expensive Step UP DC-DC charger. The line that feeds to old house battery will just be connected to the old batt line running towards the back.

With the above mentioned everything else will function as prescribed.

Did I forget any major connections?

THX in advance.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

Sounds impressive, by chance do you have you sketched up how everything is tied back?

I like two sketches. 1st, an as built, with notes, indicating what is being demo'd, left in place or removed. 2nd, new construction, noting what is connected to what, including items like wire sizes, required hardware, etc. Eliminates a lot of guessing, and in the future can really help trouble shoot an issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #3

What model is this going in? I just did something very similar.
Savage sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Sounds like you got it covered. I just left the factory batt switch. I also used a lithium BIM for the alternator with a 0/2 run direct to batts.

I put the 600ah of batts and multiplus under the bed in my 29v. Turned the stock batt location into shoe storage.

P the touchscreen by the door and cerbro under the kitchen cabinets
Old 08-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

I'm in a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV.

The 400lb of batts are going beside the bed. This is 32 cells in a 2P16S config with busbars 1/4" x 1". 28.8kwh of juice. Using an Orion BMS and dual Heltec Active Balancers.

The other $6000 of stuff laying in the floor is going into half of the wardrobe closet with 8 x 120mm fans circulating air through some ducting.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

That’s some set up!!! Want pics!

Here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
150199C3-786E-4A52-9D4D-F351F6F52D0D.jpg   512A771D-201C-4D8C-A769-A3CAA755FBF5.jpg   459A3479-C39B-4D18-AA1A-D9D9E58D040A.jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #7

It took me a while to figure out what you did there Holychitsnaks . . . you turned the Victron on its side.

Even though I'm insulating that bay with 1" styro I just don't have the aspirations that I can keep it cool. So I'm gutting that area and adding insulation in that cavity too.

I'm insulating the other large bay too, and adding a motorized 50A cord reel which will sit directly below the Quattro in the closet.

I don't want to share the google pic album publicly, but I can send you some links to pics in PM. Once I'm done with the project I'll be posting a whole write-up on the Punisher Build.

Did I mention I'm lifted with 4wd on big Toyo's and manly winching bumper with a Warn 12k in it? I have OBA with 2 Smittybuilt compressors feeding the tank.

Attached Thumbnails
20210707_130235.jpg   20210425_171209.jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #8

That’s SICK! Has u joint written all over it. How do you like it?!

We have been beach camping for a TT for 6yrs. Been saving up ever since we seen the first joint conversion out there. Even talked to Chris there before we ordered to make sure they could still do a 2021 with the new motor (this was way b4 the hit the dealers) hopping to get our slot for the conversion this winter. But dude, your paint is PERFECT! Wish I coulda got that color. We got sandpiper… good beach color but yours is so much better

Yeah. According to victron it’s ok to mount sideways. No ideal for cooling but acceptable to them. I have only heard the fans on the unit come on 2 or three times and I have pushed it pretty good. Thinking of adding cooling fans Pic I sent was a very early (just about finished) pic. Moved some stuff around and obviously have the cover on. About the add the 3rd battery for the 600ah so gonna get tight in there.

Love the electric cord real. The stock set up sucks!

After conversion I’ll add the solar. Think I can squeeze 1700wayys up there ��
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Well the grass isn't always greener, but it's different grass. I lost A LOT of turning radius, real pita, no kidding. I lost that cushy Jayco ride, now I can feel when I run over a pebble in my kidneys. I asked for stiff springs to carry all this extra weight.

Man if I could put everything I need under the bed and never have to look at it, it would be so much easier. (and less expensive due to cable costs) I don't think I can put all the stuff in there and keep it all cool and never have to lift the mattress, another real pita. Everything in the pile on the floor plus 2 more DC-DC converters is a lot of real estate.

Plus I live in this so I would have more significant downtime in the equipment transition and I have no help. I would have to rough it till the new system was up 100% and reliable. Maybe stay in a hotel.

hmmm

Attached Thumbnails
20210726_130418.jpg   20200623_155549.jpg  
Old 08-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads up.

Exactly what my under bed looked like. Yeah. That a lot of gear ya got there! Gonna be amazing man! Epic build
Old 08-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #11

WELL . . . I ran back out to the storage I rented, and re assesses the size of the equipment. I measured the Quattro, placed it on it's sides, back etc. I grouped all of the 3 SCC and 2 DC-DC and breaker boxes and fuses and lions and tigers and bears . . .

If I remove the old equipment and cinch up the Jayco mess of wires, I think I can get all that gear into that space and use the 8 x 120mm fans to push and pull air continuously through the space. Since I'm already turning the exterior bay into an igloo cooler, I might as well just add a little more insulation on the inside.

If I an cool the closest, I can cool under the bed.

My Quattro has two big honkin fans that will kick on if things get too warm but I think they won't have to.

Since all of the wiring is stubbed out right there and the batteries are next to the bed pedestal, all wiring will be REALLY short! So I quickly cancelled the 25' runs from Amazon saving $236 tonight

Also I can just run an extension cord from the storage and get some 120v from there to run the wifi etc.

Glad you posted that pic! There must be a reason I was procrastinating about modifying that closet.

EDIT: Did you mount your inverter to 3/4" plywood and secure to the back vertical strips?

Attached Thumbnails
20210721_200414.jpg  
Old 08-12-2021, 04:29 AM   #12

Whoa! That’s some battery! Lol. I cam sooo close to building mine. Nice work!

Glad to hear ya saved the money!

That’s basically what I did, gutted the bay and cleaned up the wires. My multiples has the same fans. Think the main difference is you have one extra input for 120v power for the generator. I just just the factory transfers switch. Only negative so far in on the cerbo screen it cannot tell if it is shore power or generator so it always is labeled “Shore”

As for mounting basically I made a large hole for the batteries to overflow into the back exterior bay. Added 3/4 ply and mounted. I did not reinforce the back of the ply with strips as I plan on using that back of that wall for my solar controllers. I am out of Real estate inside that bay. But, on the back side of that divider was I have tons of room and all wire is there.

I did reinforce the divider wall though as well as if you look closely, I made kinda a subfloor for the battery’s. There was come factory wires that did not have enough slack to be put to the side. So I just went up. Ran the wires under the batts.

Have a few thousand miles not including multiple trips through NYC streets (roads are the worst) and bouncing around with rutted dirt roads with harvest hosts. Everything is solid so far.

Also added a pic of the factory batt location and I just slapped some ply in there to make extra storage.
Attached Thumbnails
21F467FA-8217-406C-BAFF-DC47DFE6929D.jpg   2315984E-02BB-4ED9-8DB1-BE6541A88C2C.jpg   60604C9B-29F5-4780-8483-D2F1AF0D583F.jpg   DCF4ACFC-0954-4B37-A008-A166BFBF4922.jpg   FF25D9FA-120A-4D3E-BF87-01A674519C09.jpg  

Old 08-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #13

When I insulate the bay, I'll no longer be able to stare down into it. All I'll see is the 1" styro. Where you put your additional plywood, I was planning to add more 1" styro too.

I like the way you used board on the floor to raise the equipment over the cables, I might do the same.

That 70lb Quattro will have to be well bolted to something in there. Perhaps I can use brackets and strap to secure it to a wall in each direction.

My bay has the thin fake veneer to cover the equipment, even if you raise the bed. I'm inclined to throw it away or reuse for some other purpose. Although I notice that without it there's a gap between the bed slide rails and the pedestal that I might not want.

Last night I made a huge U-turn in my plans. It's like when google tells you too late to turn and you have to cross 2 lanes at the last minute to avoid going the long way around.

Attached Thumbnails
THE MODIFIED WALL.jpg  
Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #14

Regarding the dissection of the PD 4060k functionality - you removed the 3 A/C input wires and replaced them with the output of your Victron, yes?

And the DC? Are you still using the converter or your own 12v charging source? Did you re use the two DC posts on the load center and supply your own 12v Input?

Quote:
1) Regarding the "Battery Cutoff Switch" I can relocate this item and function to where the DC-DC converter is located for same functionality.

2) Regarding the alternator feed to the existing house battery - I plan to use the battery cable run going to the existing inverter as a feed for a new and expensive Step UP DC-DC charger. The line that feeds to old house battery will just be connected to the old batt line running towards the back.

Anything to offer for this?

I would appreciate whatever details you can provide.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
When I insulate the bay, I'll no longer be able to stare down into it. All I'll see is the 1" styro. Where you put your additional plywood, I was planning to add more 1" styro too.

I like the way you used board on the floor to raise the equipment over the cables, I might do the same.

That 70lb Quattro will have to be well bolted to something in there. Perhaps I can use brackets and strap to secure it to a wall in each direction.

My bay has the thin fake veneer to cover the equipment, even if you raise the bed. I'm inclined to throw it away or reuse for some other purpose. Although I notice that without it there's a gap between the bed slide rails and the pedestal that I might not want.

Last night I made a huge U-turn in my plans. It's like when google tells you too late to turn and you have to cross 2 lanes at the last minute to avoid going the long way around.

Lol. Sorry for delay. I was boondocking with bad cell coverage

Yes. I had that thin cover too. I took the plastic sliders off for the bed to slide on and re installed them without the cover. I figured any additional air movement would be better. Can’t tell gap is there.

Wow. That’s 48v version is heavy. Mine is only about 40lbs. More beef would be better.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Regarding the dissection of the PD 4060k functionality - you removed the 3 A/C input wires and replaced them with the output of your Victron, yes?

And the DC? Are you still using the converter or your own 12v charging source? Did you re use the two DC posts on the load center and supply your own 12v Input?

Anything to offer for this?

I would appreciate whatever details you can provide.

I removed basically everything from the factory under the bed.

I have my generator and shore going into my factory transfer switch (Your Quattro would skip this step)

From transferswitch I have it going into ac input on victron

Ac out 1 goes into the main panel

I removed the fridge 120v wire from the panel and connected that to ac2 out on the victron. This is because I do not want the fridge off my batts while inverter is going. I wanted LP. My multiples only powers ac2 when hooked to shore or Generator.

On the 12v the victron does the charging. My factory converter is gone
Old 08-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #17

"I figured any additional air movement would be better. Can’t tell gap is there."

Ohhhhh sooooo . . if I just use that gap to let the warm air vent out, I can use all 8 x 120mm fans to blow cool air IN from both sides of the pedestal, 4 on each side! Sweet.

Smart move on running the fridge form AC2 OUT, I get it. In my case, I've over provisioned everything in order to under utilize everything and I'm prepared to run the fridge and AC off the battery bank / Quattro. That's what 2,000w of solar charging is for, alleging a really good day.

I have two huge brackets I can use to stage the Quattro over the wire run from the floor and back. Since some go into the main transfer switch one of those should be the GEN AC INPUT and another should be for the 30A SHORE power. That's exactly what I need to stub out for the Quattro AC1/AC2 IN.

"My factory converter is gone" - is that readily removable from that plastic housing? I don't need it, I might sell it with the inverter and transfer switches for cheap.

My solar panels showed up without damages so I'm happy about that!

I think I'm going to follow your lead and remove those two thin walls where the corners round in order to gain a little more elbow room.

I need to raise the bed again to take some measurements of the inside dimensions. I don't want to raise the bed again to take some measurements of the inside dimensions.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #18

Lol

Went and took pics for ya. The “Gap” is the same with or without cover. You need the black plastic strips to slide on. The cover is really only to help people not use that electric area or drop stuff in there. But I do feel some heat coming from there. I’m gonna follow your idea and get fans.

Yes, your got the ac 1 and 2 input spot on.

As for as converter. Mine is different. Mine was outside of the electrical panel housing. Made mine a lot flatter in there which gained me some room but don’t have anything there anyway.

On last camper had your style. It just sits in there really. Should be a 110 plugged into the back of the panel and some 4ga wire coming out to the floor that goes to the factory batt location. Unplug it from 110 in back and use the Allen set screws to release the 12v wires and it’s free!

That’s bad ass solar. Please lmk how your setting it up. Best I can figure is 160–1800 and that’s if I go with different size panels and remove the tv antenna
Attached Thumbnails
4492367C-EF57-4C7A-80DD-3000B7AC9EC8.jpg   3B435FC7-398C-4E64-A577-F5AB501EC2B6.jpg   D405E08E-80E3-4180-A8FC-C5A315613A01.jpg  
Old 08-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #19

My factory converter location

If you trace the wire you can see the 110 outlet in the back of the panel that gives it power. That should be the same for you regardless of location of the converter
Attached Thumbnails
967C77C4-A94B-4A59-B7A0-2F446E1297EC.jpg  
Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #20

I have these two big honkin brackets to lay the Quattro on facing upwards.

Hopefully I can place this over the cables coming up from the floor and just route them into the AC1 and AC2 as planned.

Attached Thumbnails
20210816_131649.jpg   20210816_131724.jpg