Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #1

used 2008 Grayhawk Sport 28QB

Looking to buy a used 2008 Grayhawk. Just want to know some key points to check out when I go look at it tomorrow morning, or any issues anybody has had with this model in the past.
JaycoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

Hey, JaycoJeeper,
I may be too late but will give you my views anyway. To me when looking at used RV's I look for leaks, leaks, leaks, they are so important and there are many ways to check them. Stains on ceiling, walls, especially corners, exterior wall will have raised areas you can see and feel caused from water soaked insulation and then frozen or the material used to insulate will swell. Check the refrigeration in coach and vehicle, tires and exterior finish. If it is very low mileage , examine condition of decals, if they are faded badly and curling around edges its probably set outside in the sun and other weather a lot. Check under the chassis for water leaks while water pump is pumping water. Its nice to check drawer slide condition and operation. I hope some of this helps, everything is repairable but costly to do unless you are handy enough to do yourself and you get a great price. Always go up on the roof for a quick look and make sure generator starts & runs and the slide works easily.
Good look, I hope this helps
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

x2 as above. Check the age of the tires. If more than 10 years old plan on replacing them. Actually get up on the roof and look for defects or open cracks in the caulking. Pay real close attention to the area inside just under where the overhang meets the body. This is a bad area for leaks. Look for brown stains on the inside particularly around the vents. Ask the guy straight out. Not does it leak but where is it leaking. If you miss a leak it can easily cost you $10,000 to fix and a worse case scenario can mean the thing is junk. Had that just happen to a friend. They bought a beautiful Four Winds, discovered the leak, then the bill was $8000. Dont forget look real good in the engine compartment. Make sure the wiring harness looks good and not eaten up by rodents. Thats what happened to me. Good luck
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Like someone said check roof around vents, I bought mine used the bath vent flange was metal caught it in time water lays in dicor crack almost had a rust hole thru flashing, also if it has one check the shower skylight where the screws are put thru the skylight hairline cracks will start from screw holes and will leak had to replace mine. And tires mine were 7yrs with low miles and dry rotted.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the info... During my inspection I found a few issues with the rig. looked like the previous owner hit a tree branch and it put a hole in the roof. seemed to be sealed. The bunk over cab was the only spot a little bit of water seemed to get to.... I ended up buying it after making the dealer come off the price about 10K. I feel confident I can self repair the issues I found. Just wanted thank y'all for the help at what to look for and look forward to being a member of the Jayco community.
JaycoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote