Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Using Built in Speakers

I recently purchased a Jayco Redhawk SE 22c which has built in speakers both inside and outside. The question I have is : how do I take advantage of these? They only work with the cab radio and only when the ignition is on so there is a risk of draining the starter battery. Has anyone used them with other music sources such as phone or computer?
wiarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

When you have the RED toggle switch turned on for the coach, the radio runs off of the house battery, not the chassis battery. If you're plugged into shore power or running the generator, that house battery is being charged.

You can stream music to that radio from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth, or save MP3 music on a thumb drive, and plug it into the dash to play music.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Next to the RED toggle switch there is a switch for outside speakers to turn then ON and OFF
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #4

thanks for your responses

when you talk about the red toggle switch are you referring to the battery disconnect switch by the steps?
I have not been able to run the chassis radio without the ignition keys being in place and even then it cuts off after about 10 minutes. (Chevy Chassis). The shore power was not connected. Does that make a difference?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #5

He has a Redhawk SE not a Redhawk- totally different radio. I do believe, however, you do have a 3.5mm input. I would look for a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into that if your radio doesn't do Bluetooth. And if that adapter is more that $30, I would just save your money and consider upgrading the radio.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Radio use

My issue is not how to play music through the radio. I am able to play from my phone with no problem. This works fine when I am driving. The question is how can I use the radio and play music when the engine is not running? So far I have only been able to use the inside and outside speakers by playing the radio with the ignition key in place and set to the accessory position. Even then it shuts off every 10 minutes or so and needs to be turned off and on - I assume this is to prevent drainage of the chassis battery.
Thanks again
Old 06-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #7

Something isn't wired right. I don't think the SE goes through the 12 volts system, but there should be a bypass for what you are describing. Grab you VIN and reach out to Jayco.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #8

Something isn't right

As mentioned, radio should run from coach battery once the breaker switch ( red switch) is flipped

Read yer manual and call jayco support, they helped me a few times with questions
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #9

My radio will stay on even if the ignition key is turned off and removed. I stream music thru it all the time from my phone to the speakers. I also will turn on the outside speakers with the switch by the door. Then adjust the balance on the radio to the back speakers only. That will put the sound on the outside only so that anyone still in the rig will not hear. You can also select the aux source and pipe the sound from the TV thru the speakers. I do this all the time as well. Mine came with a little remote that controls the radio in the dash. Which is helpful for adjusting the volume remotely.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
He has a Redhawk SE not a Redhawk- totally different radio.

Jayco doesn't put the crappy Soundstream in the SE?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #11

Response from Jayco

Here is what I have received from Jayco Customer Service:

"The only way to have the radio connected to the house battery would to be run a dedicated line to the house side of the unit. It currently it is only wired to the ignition."

I find this to be very disappointing. This means the speakers are useless unless I am driving. The only option is re-wiring of some kind. That is something that Jayco should have done in the first place.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Jayco doesn't put the crappy Soundstream in the SE?
No, it's actually better, only because it's buttons & knobs and not a touchscreen. But it's still pretty bad.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #13

Wow and I thought once the battery disconnect red light was on , it changed over to the house battery on all Jayco and Entegra class C's. Honestly , your not missing out on outside speakers. I use my Costco Ion blue tooth speaker when I want to listen to music outside.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 92154 View Post
Wow and I thought once the battery disconnect red light was on , it changed over to the house battery on all Jayco and Entegra class C's. Honestly , your not missing out on outside speakers. I use my Costco Ion blue tooth speaker when I want to listen to music outside.
It does- with the exception of the SEs.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
It does- with the exception of the SEs.
That's just wrong... One of the more popular uses for the radio is to be able to play it when parked.... Sometimes I really wonder about where Jayco/Thor finds their engineers.... are they former burger flippers?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #16

My only guess, and certainly not an excuse as it seems something that can be overcome, would be something to do with Chevy. Still, that seems like something that could be planned out.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

That's my point. This isn't a entry level TT. MSRP is $90K. And how could they overlook that issue, Jayco installed exterior speakers, so they should have known people would play the radio while camping. Someone seriously didn't plan well.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's my point. This isn't a entry level TT. MSRP is $90K. And how could they overlook that issue, Jayco installed exterior speakers, so they should have known people would play the radio while camping. Someone seriously didn't plan well.
It wouldn’t surprise me if it had something to do with $$, as so many other decisions made on our rigs. I have had a love/hate, no scratch that, I have had a hate/hate relationship with Thor for years.

When I get to AZ this winter I’m going to get my cousin to help me replace the junk Soundstream and speakers with some high end components and add a subwoofer. He has done high end installs for SEMA show vehicles for years, and now does custom installs on $$$$ boats.

Bob

2019 Greyhawk 29MV
2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
2004 Victory Kingpin
BuffaloBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #19

We have a Greyhawk and I use Bluetooth to listen to music on my phone outside. The ignition is off and as long as I have the power on in the coach it works fine.
tfmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarcher View Post
I recently purchased a Jayco Redhawk SE 22c which has built in speakers both inside and outside. The question I have is : how do I take advantage of these? They only work with the cab radio and only when the ignition is on so there is a risk of draining the starter battery. Has anyone used them with other music sources such as phone or computer?
The speakers are cheap and terrible. Replace them with Pioneer speakers for a huge increase in quality.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, speakers