Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Using tow/haul in class c

Do you use tow/hall full time in a ford v10 class c 2019 25' ?
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Do you use tow/hall full time in a ford v10 class c 2019 25' ?

I have a 29 foot GreyHawk and I use it all of the time, wether towing or not. I like the way it automatically downshifts when breaking.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
I have a 29 foot GreyHawk and I use it all of the time, wether towing or not. I like the way it automatically downshifts when breaking.
X2
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #4

I use it when i'm towing my car going down hill.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #5

I use mine towing or not all the time in the mountains. Minimizes shifting climbing passes and really helps with braking on the downgrades.
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 AM   #6

Tow/haul

Thanks to all, will use it. Used it full time towing our tt
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #7

I've only used it in hilly terrain.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Thanks to all, will use it. Used it full time towing our tt
Think about it, why does anyone think that it is there? Use it when towing or hauling anything of any significance.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #9

Well, as our MH's are basically within spitting distance of max GVWR, one could argue that we're effectively hauling from the word go. So I see the merit in using tow/haul all the time based on the definition of what the button is supposed to do.

In practice, I've found regular mode to be just fine on flat ground; I do hit the button in hilly terrain as I mentioned.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #10

I use mine all the time now. I used to just use it when I was towing my Jeep, but now I just automatically turn it on. I've found that cruising along, I will get less shifting when climbing overpasses and small grades. Without the T/H mode on, the trans will shift frequently; shifting creates heat in an automatic transmission; less shifting=less heat=longer lasting transmission.

I'm actually not a fan of the aggressive engine braking under normal driving conditions though. Like when I'm exiting a freeway and need to coast and slow down gently, as I get slower and slower, the engine braking gets quite aggressive and will cause my rig to jolt as it downshifts. This disruption is quite unnerving while navigating a turn, and could actually be a bit dangerous. It doesn't happen all the time, and I've learned how to mitigate it, but the first few times it was quite annoying.

Other than that one little issue, I prefer to drive the rig with T/H activated in general.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

Yes, I definitely use mine. But not full time. Usually just when towing and especially on up hill sections. Like Camper Bob, I don't care for how aggressively it down shifts (most of the time) especially into 1st gear, so I only occasionally use it on down hills. I DO NOT use it on flat ground when coming to a stop. It's not like a exhaust brake on a diesel, that's for sure.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #12

Great Feature For Downhill Without Vehicle In Tow

We do not tow a vehicle but use this feature in downhill terrain. It takes the guesswork and brake riding out of the equation. On our last trip parts were downhill and curvy with postings of 25mph. The tow/haul feature worked great and drivers concentration remained on the switchbacks instead of downhill adjustments for speed.

Good Luck,
Tannerbailey
tannerbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Without the T/H mode on, the trans will shift frequently; shifting creates heat in an automatic transmission; less shifting=less heat=longer lasting transmission.
I was on another forum where a Class C owner was watching his trans temps w/ a ScanGauge. He noted what you're saying; w/ Tow/Haul off his temps were rising, but when he turned it on they dropped back down.

It was a older post so I didn't see the merit in asking if that was in hilly terrain or not as I wasn't sure he'd answer. However it made me think about this again. I wonder if the transmission temps are hotter regardless of terrain w/ Tow/Haul off in a E450 Class C application.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I was on another forum where a Class C owner was watching his trans temps w/ a ScanGauge. He noted what you're saying; w/ Tow/Haul off his temps were rising, but when he turned it on they dropped back down.

It was a older post so I didn't see the merit in asking if that was in hilly terrain or not as I wasn't sure he'd answer. However it made me think about this again. I wonder if the transmission temps are hotter regardless of terrain w/ Tow/Haul off in a E450 Class C application.
I would need to research a bit more about this particular transmission and how it's programmed. Based on what I've read, in my Sierra 1500, over-drive (or 6th gear in that truck) did not allow the torque converter to lock up. If the torque converter is not locked up, the fluid heats up pretty good, especially under load. Tow/haul mode locked out overdrive, which meant when you were cruising, the torque converter was locked up, creating less heat.

Also, shifting creates heat. The T/H mode changes the shift programming and allows the transmission to stay in a specific gear longer, which results in less shifting, which creates less heat.

In my Ram 2500 the manual said something to the effect that you could use T/H mode if you wanted to, but the computer would adjust to varying loads. I still used T/H mode in that truck when towing, and it operated very similarly to the Sierra transmission. But it actually did better when T/H was NOT activated than the Sierra ever did when it's T/H mode was not activated (adjusting for the difference between 1/2T and 3/4T). I attribute that to the HD nature of the 3/4T vs the 1/2T and different programming parameters.

Now, in the motorhome, I'm not sure T/H locks out 6th gear, or even whether it's considered an "over-drive" or not? I've never concentrated and kept count of what gear I'm in, and there's no display to tell me. I would be curious to see a side-by-side comparo using the scan gauge to see what's really going on. But I assume that since the chassis is a heavy duty chassis, the regular programming (T/H not engaged) would work a bit like my Ram did, which was pretty good in most situations even with a heavy load.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote