Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Utility manifold valves

I'm trying to understand the workings of the water distribution options prior to winterizing for the first time. I looked for (and could not find) a diagram of the three-way valve, and Jayco sent me this diagram of the plumbing, which I'm trying to decipher without taking anything apart.

I've attached the diagram and also a photo of the pump and manifold. I presumed the pump filter is upstream of the pump itself but is that correct?

Does anyone have a schematic of how the three way valve works? I'm just trying to make sense of all of those goofy combinations of numbers for the given situations.

Attached Thumbnails
Water manifold.jpg   Utility center.jpg  
dbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbahn View Post
I'm trying to understand the workings of the water distribution options prior to winterizing for the first time. I looked for (and could not find) a diagram of the three-way valve, and Jayco sent me this diagram of the plumbing, which I'm trying to decipher without taking anything apart.

I've attached the diagram and also a photo of the pump and manifold. I presumed the pump filter is upstream of the pump itself but is that correct?

Does anyone have a schematic of how the three way valve works? I'm just trying to make sense of all of those goofy combinations of numbers for the given situations.

Without seeing the path of everything from the source to end, it is almost impossible to determine exactly is going on at any one given setting.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Without seeing the path of everything from the source to end, it is almost impossible to determine exactly is going on at any one given setting.
There must be some kind of logic to the system that doesn't take into account the specific destination of flow but rather just blocks flow from specific locations. The center tube is the inflow to the pump and has no valve, so each of the the two three-way valve on each side act as switches. The two end tubes are interconnected and the line is labelled "city fixtures", and one valve has a connection labelled "fresh tank". Its counterpart on the other side is labelled "filter", which I presume (based on the schematic above it) means that it allows water to flow from the filter to the pump, so whether on city fixture setting or "normal" then filtered water goes to either the pump or directly to the fixtures, bypassing the pump.

With that set-up, if you knew how each position of the valve blocked which tube of the only three possibilities you should be able to deduce how the whole thing is interconnected, especially since the diagram shows all four pathways of the five separate tubes.

Knowing the actual design of the the three-way valve would go a long way to understanding the flow pathways.

I'm only exploring this because I've heard of people having problems by simply following the rather simple instructions in the owner's manual.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be careful with owner's manuals as they are usual general.
The decal near the valves are correct.
When those plastic valves leak, use Vaseline then they work as new.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #5

Which plastic valves? The ones in the manifold are brass.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
There must be some kind of logic to the system that doesn't take into account the specific destination of flow but rather just blocks flow from specific locations. The center tube is the inflow to the pump and has no valve, so each of the the two three-way valve on each side act as switches. The two end tubes are interconnected and the line is labelled "city fixtures", and one valve has a connection labelled "fresh tank". Its counterpart on the other side is labelled "filter", which I presume (based on the schematic above it) means that it allows water to flow from the filter to the pump, so whether on city fixture setting or "normal" then filtered water goes to either the pump or directly to the fixtures, bypassing the pump.

With that set-up, if you knew how each position of the valve blocked which tube of the only three possibilities you should be able to deduce how the whole thing is interconnected, especially since the diagram shows all four pathways of the five separate tubes.

Knowing the actual design of the the three-way valve would go a long way to understanding the flow pathways.

I'm only exploring this because I've heard of people having problems by simply following the rather simple instructions in the owner's manual.

The only question I have is when does my filter do its work. Does it filter water when I am filling my tank, or does it filter after the tank is filled when I use a faucet, or both? I am going to find this out today by trial. I’m going to take out the filter cartridge, empty the filter housing and screw it back on. Then I’m going to hook the hose up and set my valves to “city fill”, turn on the water momentarily, then shut it off and see if the filter housing filled up. after which, I then will do the same thing for the “normal” pump setting. Question answered .... reinstall a new filter cartridge.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
The only question I have is when does my filter do its work. Does it filter water when I am filling my tank, or does it filter after the tank is filled when I use a faucet, or both? I am going to find this out today by trial. I’m going to take out the filter cartridge, empty the filter housing and screw it back on. Then I’m going to hook the hose up and set my valves to “city fill”, turn on the water momentarily, then shut it off and see if the filter housing filled up. after which, I then will do the same thing for the “normal” pump setting. Question answered .... reinstall a new filter cartridge.
Just in case anyone would like to know how the built-in house filter is utilized in the water system of a GreyHawk, I just found out by trial. The filter is used only when filling the fresh water tank or when using "city fixtures" settings. When the water pump is in use, the filter is dormant and is not used. So, all water put into the water tank is filtered water upon entry. The house filter is used just as if one had an in-line filter attached to one's garden hose, like the Camco blue in-line filter some of you are using and without either, there is no filtration.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Just in case anyone would like to know how the built-in house filter is utilized in the water system of a GreyHawk, I just found out by trial. The filter is used only when filling the fresh water tank or when using "city fixtures" settings. When the water pump is in use, the filter is dormant and is not used. So, all water put into the water tank is filtered water upon entry. The house filter is used just as if one had an in-line filter attached to one's garden hose, like the Camco blue in-line filter some of you are using and without either, there is no filtration.

Yes, that is exactly what the OP's diagram shows. All water entering the rig, no matter what the source ends up being, is run through the filter first.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

I don't understand your confusion. Just look at the diagram of where to set the two valves. This tells you specifically where the water is flowing. It just redirects flow. It's not really that complicated.

Are you confused on what those 6 settings actually mean or don't understand the terminology?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I don't understand your confusion. Just look at the diagram of where to set the two valves. This tells you specifically where the water is flowing. It just redirects flow. It's not really that complicated.

Are you confused on what those 6 settings actually mean or don't understand the terminology?
I understand the function and the operation of the thing, as well as the terminology, and I'm not at all confused about how to work it.

I'm just confused when I try to figure out HOW it actually accomplishes that, which isn't important to know but something that intrigues me.

Too curious, maybe . . .
Old 10-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #11

Utility Center Theory of Operation

So the utility center and my curiosity got the better of me and I went down a rabbit hole. I decided I wanted to know how this thing worked.

I tried to get better information from Jayco as to how things were connected but that was a dead-end....

So I decided to work the problem backward using the utility center valve position definitions as a way to determine how this thing is hooked up and works.

I think I figured it out ...... and the attachments share what I learned.
-----------------------
Summary:
The utility center is a T like manifold that consists of two outer 3 position valves with a middle connection that connects internally to one port of both valves.

One of the outer valves connects to the fresh water tank the other to the city water fixture. The center of the manifold is connected to the input of the 12V pump. Both ends of the manifold are connected together and to the house plumbing.

The valve handle points in the direction that water entering the center port of each valve is directed. When the handle is straight up it is off.

Left valve pointing:
left = fresh water tank --> house plumbing
right = fresh water tank --> pump input
up = fresh water tank not connected

Right valve pointing:
left = city fixture --> pump input
right = city fixture --> house plumbing
up = city fixture not connected

It's not obvious but it's a combination of these 3-way valves position and the common connection to the pump and house plumbing that provides the 6 modes listed on the utility center.

More detail on how the manifold is connected and how the different modes work is contained in the attachments.

It made my head hurt so let me know if it's unclear or you find errors.
Attached Thumbnails
20201026_150927.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jayco Utility Center - Manifold Operation.pdf (160.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: pdf Jayco Utility Center - Utility Center Modes.pdf (52.3 KB, 158 views)

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
So the utility center and my curiosity got the better of me and I went down a rabbit hole. I decided I wanted to know how this thing worked.

<snip>

It made my head hurt so let me know if it's unclear or you find errors.
Fabulous!

That's exactly what I was looking for, and my next project was going to be almost exactly what you did, or at least an attempt to do so. I was really just looking for how the valve worked, and now knowing that the arrow points to the closed port allows a logical flow plan, as you figured out.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Hey Don, great information. This is also something that I've been very curious about how it works. I've made some flow chart drawings of the manifold and plumbing, but I'm curious about how the fresh water tank and pump fit into the flow. For instance the "Normal" position. Valve 2 is closed. Valve 1 is in position 3 which routes the fresh water tank to the pump input. How does the "pumped water" enter into the plumbing system? I can't see where it comes back to the manifold, nor can I find how the tank is plumbed.
I'll be glad to share my drawings and explanations with everyone once I can figure out how this part of it's working.
Thanks, Bob
Bob91750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #14

Better Utility Center Info

I looked at my documents again regarding the utility center and decided they were still too confusing.

Attached is a new set that I hope is easier to understand.

I exported a graphical representation of the utility center that I plan to make a sticker of and post in the center to remind me how this thing is plummed.

Interestingly I think there are a couple of winterizing settings that we should consider to ensure that there is no water sitting in the utility center valves. I added them to the manual.

Let me know if you find any errors...
Attached Thumbnails
UtilityCenter.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UtilityCenterManual.pdf (173.4 KB, 137 views)

Old 11-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob91750 View Post
Hey Don, great information. This is also something that I've been very curious about how it works. I've made some flow chart drawings of the manifold and plumbing, but I'm curious about how the fresh water tank and pump fit into the flow. For instance the "Normal" position. Valve 2 is closed. Valve 1 is in position 3 which routes the fresh water tank to the pump input. How does the "pumped water" enter into the plumbing system? I can't see where it comes back to the manifold, nor can I find how the tank is plumbed.
I'll be glad to share my drawings and explanations with everyone once I can figure out how this part of it's working.
Thanks, Bob
The house plumbing, one port of each valve, and the pump output are all connected (shorted) together. The pump output is hard (always) connected to the house plumbing irrespective of any valve settings.

So in the "Normal" case, the right valve routes water to the input of the pump, and the output of the pump directly feeds the house plumbing.

More info at this post: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post912067

Old 11-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #16

Quote:

Unfortunately I can’t contribute to tell you how it works, however, I am having a manifold leak from those fitting, I noticed from your picture you have hose clamps and not crimp on connections. Do you mind posting if that was original or that is something you did? Sorry I’m no help to you.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Unfortunately I can’t contribute to tell you how it works, however, I am having a manifold leak from those fitting, I noticed from your picture you have hose clamps and not crimp on connections. Do you mind posting if that was original or that is something you did? Sorry I’m no help to you.
I bought the MH used, so I can't answer your question, but I think there's enough slack in the hoses to trim them and convert to hose clamps.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #18

Congrats!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #19

More Info about Manifold Operation

Thanks to Don Kleinschnitz's information I was able to confirm what I thought was going on in the manifold. It's not complicated once you can see how it's hooked up and how the valves are working, but until then, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I encourage you to download his info as it's very concise and accurate.
Additionally I've attached my drawings that may be of some value. I used portions of the Jayco documents to show the water flow. Please let me know if anyone sees any errors.
Thanks, Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf manifold operation-r.pdf (678.1 KB, 90 views)
Bob91750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob91750 View Post
Thanks to Don Kleinschnitz's information I was able to confirm what I thought was going on in the manifold. It's not complicated once you can see how it's hooked up and how the valves are working, but until then, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I encourage you to download his info as it's very concise and accurate.
Additionally, I've attached my drawings that may be of some value. I used portions of the Jayco documents to show the water flow. Please let me know if anyone sees any errors.
Thanks, Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the document its a nice addition to our docs. BTW did you notice the additional valve positions that I added for winterizing? It occurs to me that there is a couple of cases that during winterizing water could be left in the line/valves?