Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

v10 triton in 2020 Ford E450 jayco Greyhawk

Hello everyone. At about 8000 miles i am now hearing a rattling sound on and off when accelerating especially when going up hills. Since i am going on 1000 mile one way rides now routinely its painful hearing this noise.

Does anyone else have this problem ? In looking at the forums - people mention bad serpentine belt - cleaning the pulleys - replace the belt - and adjust the belt tensioner. I did not think there was a tensioner.

I appreciate any feedback from other members with this V10 and this noise upon acceleration . The hardest part is defining this noise. A rattle or a ping or vibration - whatever - its painful.
jellyjamblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #2

Check out this recent thread, and watch (listen to) the video.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...elt-82252.html

This may very well be your issue too. Take a listen and see if it is.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #3

Whether it takes care of what you are hearing or not, it wouldn't hurt to change the belt and keep the belt you currently have as a spare.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #4

thank you. I am taking Motorcoach in to Ford Truck service and will update you with there response.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyjamblue View Post
thank you. I am taking Motorcoach in to Ford Truck service and will update you with there response.

Good luck with that. I have the same noise at 2000 rpm under load. I took to the dealer and they wanted to tear the engine down. They had it 3 weeks and thank God I took the coach back from them. There are a number of posts on this forum on the problem recently. So I know this is not a serious problem. It is a harmonic vibration in the serpentine belt. Changing the belt seems to resolve the problem. I just bought a replacement and will be installing it.

https://youtu.be/Oa6cr2dFkPE
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Good luck with that. I have the same noise at 2000 rpm under load. I took to the dealer and they wanted to tear the engine down. They had it 3 weeks and thank God I took the coach back from them. There are a number of posts on this forum on the problem recently. So I know this is not a serious problem. It is a harmonic vibration in the serpentine belt. Changing the belt seems to resolve the problem. I just bought a replacement and will be installing it.

I think replacing the belt only will be a temporary fix. I believe the problem is that Ford deleted an idler pulley from the build across the longest span of the serpentine belt path, and that allows the belt to eventually vibrate.

My theory is that the new belt will silence the issue for a short time, but eventually it will come back. On the other thread linked above, one of the contributors has purchased the additional idler pulley and bolt. I'm waiting for installation feedback before I do the same.

I need new lock cylinders for the cab doors anyway (another story), so I'll just go ahead and order the bolt and pulley by part number at the same time from the Ford dealer, and will replace the belt at the same time I install the pulley, and retain the OEM Ford belt for backup.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I think replacing the belt only will be a temporary fix. I believe the problem is that Ford deleted an idler pulley from the build across the longest span of the serpentine belt path, and that allows the belt to eventually vibrate.

My theory is that the new belt will silence the issue for a short time, but eventually it will come back. On the other thread linked above, one of the contributors has purchased the additional idler pulley and bolt. I'm waiting for installation feedback before I do the same.

I need new lock cylinders for the cab doors anyway (another story), so I'll just go ahead and order the bolt and pulley by part number at the same time from the Ford dealer, and will replace the belt at the same time I install the pulley, and retain the OEM Ford belt for backup.
I may order the second pulley also for the belt, however I am of the thought that because the pulley delete was back in 1999, I am not sure why if this was going to be an issue we are only seeing this now over 20 years later and no other reports that I am aware of for this. In any case, seems like a simple upgrade. I will keep a watch on the other thread as well. ~CA
Old 01-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #8

follow up

Hello everyone. As i had mentioned - i took the coach in to Ford in Jacksonville, Fl , the only ford with a big enough center to put coach on lift etc... My coach is a 2020, with a 2019 Ford Chassis that i bought NEW. Have already had to have the AC compressor replaced , it " exploded inside " , have the onan dropped and repaired, i could go on and on but thankfully all has been warranty.

Back to rattle and serpentine belt. I myself use the RV exclusively back and forth PA to FL. The rattle has me on edge to the point where i want to sell the coach. Seeing your posts brought life back in to me.

I take it up to FORD - they furst test drive 7 miles and say " Nothing wrong ", i said you have to take it out on the highway. They take it for 20 miles " nothing wrong ". At this point my photo is probably in the tech washroom with a Crazy above it .... In talking with my advisor i said " listen, this thing is rattling. I did not drive this thing to jacksonville ( 75 miles ) with no rattle. It rattles coming up to you. I gave him the video on line and also audio recordings i did 20 times driving down the road.

I told the guy lets change the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. I referenced all the posts about this issue...he was reluctant , he said the warranty wont coverag, and then he says ok we will do it but once we do that you cant come back and claim this is a problem, its simply crazy... they are basically trying to say this is all normal. I left whereby please change the serpentine built and try to get it covered.....either way it needs to be changed.

I will follow up to let all know if the rattle goes away.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Good luck with that. ...
x2 LOL
Old 01-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #10

DO NOT SIGN paperwork stating you will not come back for this problem in the future. You do not have to. Your Ford Warranty is 3yrs ,,36,000 miles bumper to bumper. Tell the Service guy to go fly a kite and DEMAND to talk to the Dealership Owner or General Manager tell him your problem , I bet he will agree with you NO Sign papers. Ask me how I know...( Former Dodge Dealer General Manager 26 Years ) Try it what have you got to loose, Do Not Sign that paper....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #11

Update

Well, the dealer changed the serpentine belt and I did not hear the rattling noise on my drive home. Approx 75 miles. I will update again when I take it to PA on the 1k mile ride.
The dealer did not have me sign anything - they told me they replaced the belt at no charge and hoped I would give them a good review. First class service. Very hard to find now days. Thank you everyone for the input. Without the input - I don't know if I would have lasted this long with my first RV and all the problems that come with it.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #12

2016 Ford Class C with the serpentine belt "rattle" at 2100 rpm. It has been doing this since I had about 1000 miles on it. I installed the pulley on the existing boss on the drivers side and the rattle is gone. The belt looked fine (41k miles) so I didn't replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
driversidepully.jpg  
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote