Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #1

Vehicle battery dying

I have a 2006 Greyhawk, and if I dont start it every week, the battery dies. Not sure what could be causing it, The house battery stays charged but I leave it turned off when not in use. The only thing running on the vehicle battery that I know of is the power steps. Any ideas on what could be killing it after a week of sitting?
Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

Is that battery 13 years old?
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

No, it's a year old.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
The only thing running on the vehicle battery that I know of is the power steps. Any ideas on what could be killing it after a week of sitting?
There are other parasitic drains (like radios and other electronics) that slowly drain the chassis battery. Also, how many times has the battery been totally drained? Even if it's only a year old, if it's been killed more than a couple of times, it's probably damaged. Age doesn't mean much.

The only way to figure out what's draining the battery is to put a ammeter on the positive line, and pull fuses one by one, to see what's draining it.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

I had my truck start battery doing that too me as well... I picked up one of those 10WATT Solar Panels from local auto parts store and have it laying on the windshield dash... It is plugged into a always hot 12V socket... Just enough trickle charge to keep the start battery always topped off...

Google image

Roy Ken
[URL="https://i.imgur.com/SoQ6BfGm.jpg"]
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
There are other parasitic drains (like radios and other electronics) that slowly drain the chassis battery. Also, how many times has the battery been totally drained? Even if it's only a year old, if it's been killed more than a couple of times, it's probably damaged. Age doesn't mean much.

The only way to figure out what's draining the battery is to put a ammeter on the positive line, and pull fuses one by one, to see what's draining it.
I cant say it has never been 100% drained, but since I have had it (for several months), it hasnt. Its usually just low enough to have the solenoid click, at about 40%-50% drained.

Looks like I get to spend some time under the dash with the needle nose pulling fuses. I hate where Ford put the box.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I had my truck start battery doing that too me as well... I picked up one of those 10WATT Solar Panels from local auto parts store and have it laying on the windshield dash... It is plugged into a always hot 12V socket... Just enough trickle charge to keep the start battery always topped off...

Google image

Roy Ken
[URL="https://i.imgur.com/SoQ6BfGm.jpg"]
OK, Im heading to the store ASAP to get one just so I can put off fighting with fuses. Thanks!!!
Old 12-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

10WATT Solar panel

Quote:
OK, Im heading to the store ASAP to get one just so I can put off fighting with fuses. Thanks!!!
I have one of these 12VDC Monitors (AMAZON) I can plug into a 12V Socket and will allow me to monitor the trickle charge coming from the plugged in low wattage solar panel. The battery reading i.e. might be reading 12.2VDC and when I plug in the 10WATT Solar panel this DC voltage will start raising when the solar panel is in high sun laying on the windshield dash... Mine will usually end up at 12.5VDC in one afternoon sitting etc... I don't think there is enough current coming the 10WATT solar panel to over charge the battery etc... I leave mine hooked up all the time...

google image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You might want to first check to see how much sun you get on the dashboard and which direction your rig faces, I know on my rig, the cabover produces quite a bit of shade on the dashboard.

Quote:
I cant say it has never been 100% drained, but since I have had it (for several months), it hasnt.
I had to replace the chassis battery on my rig soon after I picked it up new, even though it was 6 months old. Seems that either Jayco or the dealer allowed the battery to die a few times, and it wouldn't hold a charge. So, this is why you just can't go by age, but load test and voltage test to see if the battery is healthy.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote