Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Vehicles left behind

We are preparing for a 4 month trip, and I was wondering what others do to prepare/secure autos and other vehicles left at home, particularly the batteries, fuel, tires?
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #2

Being in Jersey I store my car from approximately Nov - April. I use a battery maintainer and have not any issues.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #3

Left it in the garage for 4 months and did nothing. Started up just fine when we returned.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #4

At minimum Full fuel tank and disconnect the battery.

Make sure that it looks like some one is home. Have a bunch of lights on timers. shoveled out all winter, If you have a neighbor that has a few extra cars, ask one or two to park in your driveway. This will leave tracks, and people see cars coming and going.

Security, are you parking inside a garage or outside? If in a garage, I disconnect my power garage door opener, and slip the slide lock in place and add a bolt/nut to secure it. It is very scary how easy it is to pull the overhead release cord from outside on a double car door, or a whippy garage door.

I have experienced at my old house, lightening storms opening my garage door. Happened a few times, but it was an older style garage door opener. Hence why I unplug or flip the breaker.

If you have a few neighbors or family that can check in periodically that is great.

Have a great time, wish I was going somewhere for 4 months this winter!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Wouldn’t hurt to put some gas stabilizer in the tanks. I do that every time I park the rv after a trip.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #6

I suggest using the gas without the corn in it! Ethanol breaks down quickly and can ruin the plugs and carbs.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #7

If less than 6 months you don't need to do anything.. unplug the battery would be it or bat tender... and forget about it while it sits in the garage...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #8

We are sunbirds. The first time we left for the season, we did nothing to the car we left behind. When we got home, the battery was dead. Since then, we just disconnect the battery (which is what we do with the TT, battery still good after 7 months over fall & winter). We also try to keep the gas tank full. We leave the car in the garage so it doesn't appear to anyone that it is abandoned in the driveway. Since it is in the garage, I don't worry about the tires. After 4 months, they would have lost a few pounds.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

At a minimum fill the tank and disconnect the battery. If possible, add a battery tender. While the battery will survive that long most of the time you will add to the life by using a battery tender and assure yourself of a good one when you get home. If inside or out filling the tank keeps out air with moisture. If outside then using no alcohol gas is more important to keep gas fresh.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Personally, I would try to run the current tank as low as possible, and just before leaving, fill the tank full with fresh either ethanol-free fuel OR put stabilizer in it, and drive it a little to make sure the treated fuel has circulated through the entire system thoroughly. Then I would change the oil and drive it just a little more to circulate the oil.

Then I would park it, disco the battery and put it on a tender.

Should be good as new when you get back to it, you'll just have to redo your radio pre-sets.

I would also check my owner's manual to see if there are vehicle storage guidelines in there. There is such a section in my motorhome's manual, but you wouldn't be able to comply with much of what it recommends (like running the engine every 15 days and shifting through the gears in the transmission).

I'd also call my insurance agent and let them know the vehicle will be sitting for 4 months not in service. You never know, you might get a little discount on insurance? Same with other services like On-Star, U-Connect, Sirius XM, etc... If you're paying for a service on the vehicle on a continuous basis, it doesn't make sense to continue paying if the vehicle is out of service. Some may give you a break, some may not; worst they can say is "no, nothing we can do for you", and you've lost virtually nothing.

Good luck on your trip!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
We are preparing for a 4 month trip, and I was wondering what others do to prepare/secure autos and other vehicles left at home, particularly the batteries, fuel, tires?
We have been leaving our car in the garage parked where it always does with no battery maintainer for 4 months with no issues for 5 years.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
We have been leaving our car in the garage parked where it always does with no battery maintainer for 4 months with no issues for 5 years.
What kind of car is it?

The simple act of leaving a proximity remote too close to a stored vehicle can kill the battery in a week. LOTS of constant parasitic draws on modern vehicles. Good news is that they typically have solenoids that will cut off power hogs if the voltage gets too low (battery savers).

Even my old '94 Jeep YJ, which has VERY little in the way of electronics, can put a serious dent in a battery over the course of about 2 months.

A fully charged battery stored with no load on it can last quite a while without being on a float, but it will still have some discharge over time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

I have worked internationally for over 25 years. I leave my vehicle at airports or at home for months at a time. The only thing I do is leave the fuel tank topped off I have yet to come back to a non starting vehicle
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #14

long term stowing.

Blaylock TL-33 Universal Coupler Receiver Lock, battery locks and propane cylinders lock. And oh yea, winterize the water system.

Then put her to bed for the winter..😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Attached Thumbnails
83-e1441366520319-768x576.jpg   20200914_155155.jpg  
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #15

Float charger for batteries...

Float charger for batteries also...🖒
Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #16

Storage cars

I go from E WA to AZ for 7 months. I just top off the gas, put a oz or two of pri in and unhook the negative on the battery. Starts right up when I get back. Oh ya, lock it with the key. Undoing the battery might be a bad idea if you only use a fab! Then get a little battery tender for it.
Motorhommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #17

Going to miss Apache Junction this year...

Saw your reply and have to say, I'm going to miss Apache Junction this year.

Did the trip from SW WA for 11 years but health got the best of me this year..

We'll see, maybe next year...

Sure "NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RAIN" on the SW WA this year

Safe travels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhommie View Post
I go from E WA to AZ for 7 months. I just top off the gas, put a oz or two of pri in and unhook the negative on the battery. Starts right up when I get back. Oh ya, lock it with the key. Undoing the battery might be a bad idea if you only use a fab! Then get a little battery tender for it.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #18

We leave a car in FL 5 to 7 months. Drive thru car wash to spray salt away and underneath. Non-ethanol fill up with fuel stabilizer for the trip home...non-ethanol spoils too just not as quickly. Lift wipers off windshield or tennis balls under the metal arm.
Cover sun exposed dash and turtle deck. Battery tender whether disconnected or not.
mcdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #19

It goes to sleep!

We winter in Arizona every year. I fill the car up and make sure it's clean, then park it in the garage with a battery maintainer hooked up. Have done it for 3 years and no problems.

After we are gone about 10 days or so it sends me an e-mail that it is going to "sleep". Ain't that crazy! I get a laugh out of it every time. It's a Ford Escape.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #20

Treat the vehicles as I do my collector car that i only drive in the summer. Park them with the tires on wood or foam insulation . The concrete will dry out the rubber. Add "stabilizer" to the gas and run for a few minutes. When finished, disconnect the battery. Shut off the power to garage doors before leaving.
Lyonseed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charge, gasoline, tires