Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Vent covers on the Greyhawk

I'm looking at the Maxxaire II vent covers for my 29mv. they seem easy enough to install, but customer reviews say that they are not high enough to allow vents to open fully.
My concern is the automatic electric cover on the Fantastic vent. if the full open position is restricted by adding a cover, am I risking damage to the vent?
Any one with experience?
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
I'm looking at the Maxxaire II vent covers for my 29mv. they seem easy enough to install, but customer reviews say that they are not high enough to allow vents to open fully.
My concern is the automatic electric cover on the Fantastic vent. if the full open position is restricted by adding a cover, am I risking damage to the vent?
Any one with experience?
Fan-Tastic has a cover for their fans at the tune of about $55. Go to Camping World bring up accessories and bring up the Fan-Tastic Fan cover, and view the video. It might convince you that their cover is the one to buy....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

You are good!

Hey Dreamgolfer... This is from a thread I had on this topic when I had the same question...

The lid in the Fantastic vent is operated by a DC Motor. The motors control board has an integrated "Stall Current Switch". When the lid hits an obstruction the maximum torque is reached and the motors amps increase, the logic board senses this and causes the motor to stop. This mechanism is used to stop both the up and down movement including when it is closed on the fan housing.

In short... No you will not do any damage using the MaxxAir Cover. And the Fantastic Vent is only slightly taller so it actually has the same issue. The only downside to the covers is the potential to slightly reduce airflow. But I would submit that the reduction is far outweighed by the ability to have the fan open in all weather conditions.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgolfer View Post
Any one with experience?

Easy to Install, I did mine Yesterday Bathroom and Bedroom....
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #5

I put those on my 31ss Greyhawk when cover touches vent cover it stops, opens almost all the way open. Now I do not worry about a wet bed ha
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Fan-Tastic has a cover for their fans at the tune of about $55. Go to Camping World bring up accessories and bring up the Fan-Tastic Fan cover, and view the video. It might convince you that their cover is the one to buy....

Yep, I put two of these covers on my rig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #7

Same as everyone else..installed two of these on our Greyhawk and love them. Super easy to install and the hinge bracket setup makes it easy to clean.

The vent lid stops when it his the cover with no issues.

Just a sidebar..we originally went with the black ones to match the rest of the roof top items, but it lets zero light in (being in the bathroom was like a cave!). We returned them and went with the white; let's much more natural light in.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Ditto here. I did the Maxxair II on the bathroom vent and the Fanmate over the bedroom vent with the Fan-Tastic fan. Still touches but the motor stops as soon as it makes contact. I crank it back a little with the manual knob on the fan.
I also had the black ones on my previous TT, they made it too dark. The white ones let in much more light
Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #9

Same as everyone else. I installed 2 on my Greyhawk. Work just fine. I say go for it!!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Any one have any experience with the white RV Roof Vent Cover Motorhome Camper Air Flow Ventilation on E-Bay currently?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252931557726?ul_noapp=true
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote