Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Vent flap flapping

So we are sitting on the edge of the bay, enjoying the steady rhythm of the rain tapping away and the range vent flap starts flapping in the wind. Simple answer is close the vent locks. But on the Seneca there is no way to reach them without a ladder which I'm not about to take out every move.

On previous RVs I closed the vent before we moved or in high winds like today. If I didn't lock it it would break before our next arrival. But that is not practical on this one.

What do you Seneca owners do with the vent flap?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

I don't have a Seneca but have the same trouble depending on the site I'm on. Even when I can reach the vent, it takes a great deal of force to open the vent. I typically leave it open. Haven't had any issues as a result...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

The one on my Greyhawk is high too. Another member said he use's the end of a broom handle to push it closed, but I haven't tried it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I don't have a Seneca but have the same trouble depending on the site I'm on. Even when I can reach the vent, it takes a great deal of force to open the vent. I typically leave it open. Haven't had any issues as a result...
This same latching vent has been used for years in several different Jayco models. In the 2014 Melbourne 29D you didn't need a ladder to get to it, if you were tall, so no serious issue, but it was still sort of a pain to use. In our 2017 Precept 31UL it is too high off the ground but a pain to use a ladder every time you use the vent, even if you do carry one. We discussed this with the folks in Middlebury when we were there. They have no magic answer. There are tales of people putting in small Velcro patches that can hold it closed but make it possible to open the flap with a rod of some sort. No doubt other clever workarounds have been devised. But we have decided to leave it CLOSED all of the time and, when we need to vent the cooktop, we open the window next to it and run the ceiling fan to get circulation through that area.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

glue magnet to flap, fan on it opens off it stays closed what i did works great one of those small window alarms magnet sets works good
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
glue magnet to flap, fan on it opens off it stays closed what i did works great one of those small window alarms magnet sets works good
Does one magnet stick to another? Sounds like a very good idea however you set it up. I know it wouldn't be easy, but a picture of that setup would be like gold.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Bingo
Old 08-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

Got any pictures of the magnet set up?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:18 AM   #9

Quote:
I like that idea. I am surprised that the fan is strong enough to separate the magnet that is strong enough to hold the vent closed.

Thanks for the idea.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I like that idea. I am surprised that the fan is strong enough to separate the magnet that is strong enough to hold the vent closed.

Thanks for the idea.
Yes, I applaud the ingenuity but I am surprised about that as well. Also, wouldn't the magnet cause a gap which could whistle when you are running down the road? Hopefully not . . .
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #11

Our flaps while driving as well. Very annoying.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #12

Although I haven't tried it, my friend sys to superglue your favorite silver dollar to the outside therefore causing enough weight to close the vent when not in use.
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #13

I will try to get a picture, I never had any trouble getting fan to open vent as magnet is not that big.I also used same magnet on my screen door that got lost made my stairs to stop working
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #14

vent flap magnet picture

This is the magnet I used, I glued it in the opening flush with the door, then on the door I glued a thin piece of metal a small washer would work or a piece of metal foil tape type used in duct work may work. I said if the metal fell off i may try the tape. These are small enough you could use two I got mine off Ebay they are for a alarm system on a window
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0680.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #15

vent magnet

Here is picture of magnet, I know there are people out there doubting this works but does on mine traveling and parked no more ladder or stick.This fan is so strong if I left latches closed flap would bow out in middle when turned on. I glued a very thin metal washer on the flap with gorilla super glue then I used J B quick weld to glue a spacer of wood on inside duct to bring magnet up higher then use the J B to glue magnet to spacer.All you have to do is offset the magnet the thickness of the washer and the flap is tight against the flange I think even two magnets would still let fan blow it open.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0683.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #16

Very cool thank you for that