Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 01:34 AM   #1

Viewing the gps on a Redhawk 26xd

Trying to view the gps/radio on my mh is a pain. I have to take my eyes off the road far too long. Has anybody found away to angle the head unit in the dash for a better viewing angle? And/or other suggestions?
dwh1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #2

We gave up on it. Now use a Garmin on top of the dash.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

The radio display for GPS and side cameras is a waste in my mind. I feel that the time required to take in the display, like you mentioned, is too long and basically dangerous to have your eyes off the road for the length of time required.

I have a separate GPS in a much more easy to see location. I never use the side cameras as I am used to side mirrors.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF. As mentioned by others I also use a separate GPS. Don’t let the side view turn cameras be a distraction. Stay alert, use your mirrors and be aware of surrounding traffic. I leave my rear camera view on the display all the time, but especially when I am towing my Jeep. If you really want to use the built-in GPS the best thing you can do is have your front seat passenger do the navigation.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #5

I use my phone mounted in a holder on the dash [https://amzn.to/3pKIHUG] just to the right of my field of view. The GPS on my phone is way better than the Soundstream system that is installed in my Greyhawk.

I also put a HUD https://amzn.to/397fA8e next to the phone so I could see the speed and other information without trying to look down through the steering wheel. When it's windy this RV needs my eyes glued to the road ahead.

I like the idea of the camera feature. When I am turning right I can see the display as I am looking in the direction of the right mirror.
When turning left it is useless as I am looking left and the display is full right... its actually dangerous IMO.

I wish I could use the cameras for other purposes like to see cars in the lanes on the left and right. I often just turn on the blinkers briefly just to use the camera on one side or the other.

It does take too long for the camera to turn on.

I wanted to hack the setup some way to enable the cameras when underway (like you can do with the rear camera)?

Initial research suggests that they are connected through a serial interface with the steering wheel controls. Uggh!

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #6

I assume you're speaking of the Soundstream in-dash system?

I use the GPS but the voice navigation is really what I depend on. The turn-by-turn of the Girl in the Box is fine for my needs as I have too many other things to watch in the cockpit.

My wife/navigator makes sure I don't get lost -- unless she goes to sleep on me. We do have nav on our smart phones but that uses our data plan very quickly. So we only use it to double check for alternate routes the Girl in the Box doesn't tell us about.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #7

2021 Alante - how to set the in dash display for mpg or time using steering wheel arr

Cannot figure out how to set the Information Display in dashboard using the left/right & up/down arrows & OK button on steering wheel. How to return to normal Information Display? Thank you
Evanwride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #8

Jenson GPS - unreliable

My Jenson sometimes works, there is no rhyme or reason. The Nav menu button will just become unresponsive. That is why I now use my portable Garmin GPS. Closer to use and see up on the dash-board. The in-dash unit I use for the rear view camera to keep an eye on my towed Jeep. When the GPS is working, sometime I'll put it on wide-out view to see where I am in relationship to my trip, using the Portable for the directions. I also use this GPS in my Jeep when it's my ride
Old 02-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #9

Thank you for your comments. My issue is with the 4 this is with the Ford dashboard display.. I tried resetting it, but now I can't get it back to it's normal display function.
Evanwride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
AHW

I find that mine sticks out too far form the dash to be useful. I use google maps on my phone through car play so mostly rely on the voice navigation. Most the time I've done some research before leaving so generally have an idea of where I'm going.
AHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #11

Different vehicle same problem. Made a removable mount for the dash. Don’t like using the phone but prefer the dedicated gps.
Attached Thumbnails
4908E81B-2378-46B3-886C-CF2FF63281A5.jpg   667651A9-6DB5-4A18-9E79-3896DA95D6C6.jpg  
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote