Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

Wall outlets not working in 06 Greyhawk 31SS

Well, I'm back again with more electrical problems. Never did solve the Battery Disconnect problem. And never got the furnace to blow heat (but that's a problem for when it gets cold again).

Our son used the motorhome during the winter to take his son to wrestling tournaments. He parked in the facility parking lots and used the generator for power. For heat, he used a 110v space heater which provided enough heat to get by. I woulda stayed in a motel. The last trip, he was running the heater and turned on the microwave. Everything quit. All the wall outlets stopped working. He was unable to find the problem, looking for fuse, circuit breaker, GFI, etc. This weekend, he brought it to us with apologies about not solving the electrical problem. My son owns 18 rent houses and performs much of the maintenance on them. He also owned a toy hauler trailer. So, he's at least aware of RV systems and electrical stuff. Way more than me, for sure.

My wife is ready to go and getting impatient. I've checked RV dealers and service outfits in the area. It's Spring and they're booked up to late May. I need help. Any ideas out there?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #2

I'm going to assume you checked the GFI breaker?
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

Do you have a volt / Ohm meter?

Are you comfortable taking the face off of the Power distribution center?

Do you have manufactures diagram of power center?

If so, I would start by connecting to shore power - simple 20 amp extension cord from the house to the TT.

Do you have 110VAC on the input terminals at the power distribution center?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #4

I would definitely open this Power Distribution Panel door on the unit that is sitting below your OVEN location close to the floor. This appears to be your Power Distribution Center where all of your circuit breakers are located. You will also find all of your ATC type 12VDC fuses in this panel as well...

Look for a tripped Circuit breaker.

Also if you can post the model of your Power Distribution Center we might be able to give some close up photos of other info that can be found on google images.

If your dealer or another dealer with the same trailer is close by might be a good idea to go check in with them and do another walk around since you have been using the trailer some since it was purchased and know more questions to ask...

I suspect the electric heater and the microwave on at the same time has tripped a breaker somewhere.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #5

If everything lost power you might have tripped the breaker on the genset. This happened to us at NASCAR Race at Bristol in 2012. After opening the access panel to the genset, you should be able to locate the breaker fairly easily. If you can't locate it let me know and I'll take a picture of mine and post it here.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

Thanks a million, Kettrell. The breaker on the genset was the problem. I opened up the door and peered into a world totally unfamiliar to me. Could have been a nuclear reactor. I looked around and saw nothing to tip me as to a circuit breaker. Then, way back in the right corner, a black thing sticking up in a black area, in a dark corner looked like it might be a switch. The generator was running. I flicked the switch and nothing happened. I went inside and plugged in a lamp and, Hooray!, it lit up. Problem solved. Can't wait to call my son to tell him Dad fixed it. Thanks again, Kettrell.

Thanks to you other guys for your quick replies. As for the Power Distribution Center being located under the oven. The only thing down there in my 06 Greyhawk is a big drawer. I've looked all over and found no PDC. Thanks for your help.
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

Hey, Congrats! Glad you were able to resolve the issue. Just for future reference, I would recommend you have the genset turned off. Reset your breaker. Then start your genset. I'm no expert but you might avoid problems using this approach.

[QUOTE=Widewader;185508]As for the Power Distribution Center being located under the oven. The only thing down there in my 06 Greyhawk is a big drawer. I've looked all over and found no PDC.[QUOTE]

FWIW, The PDC in our 2011 31DS Model is at the foot of the bed.

Happy Camping!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

It amazes me where you find breakers and fuses in RV's. I know when I looked under the bed behind the panel into the octopus of electrical wires, there are fuses back there as well, not accessible unless you unscrew the access panel under the bed. Good info, thanks for sharing.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Have you checked to see if the power comes on when using shore power? NOT THE GEN. Some gen's have a fuse in them.. Next check all the breakers flip them off then on. also check the power transfer switch.. lots of them are getting stuck in one position..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote