Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #21

I have been trying to think about how I could do this myself. Biggest problem was that I didn't have a long enough socket to reach the nuts. Then It struck me. Saw off all that extra length of the U-bolts. Duhhh.
If it warms up, here's my plan. Do the above. Then I'll use the hydrololic lifts manually to raise one side making sure I have the brakes on and the other wheels chocked. Put my jack stands under the frame. Maybe use a big c-clamp to squeeze the spring together if necessary. Have a piece of wood cut to 2" wide as a gauge. Snug up the bolts, let that side down, and repeat on the other side. But of course the polar vortex hit yesterday and it's in the 20's this morning.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #22

My issues are two... one is that it's under warranty and if I break something, I'm screwed, and the other is that I don't have any spring compressors. I think that it takes several hundred pounds of pressure to compress those suckers.

Well, those two and of course having something go horribly wrong and remove my head... I believe I'll let Jayco handle it! lol
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #23

I called the dealer, they checked for a recall, nada, handed it off to Ford. I think if you get all the pressure off by raising the tires to almost off the ground a 1/2" drive socket will probable get it. If not might hand it off to someone else.
I've been an operator/maintenance man in a boiler house my whole life. Lots of large equipment repairs over the years. Know what I can and can't do. This doesn't look to difficult. Just to damn cold out right now. Old achy joints now days slows one down.
Might have to do in stages. Cut off the extra threaded parts today, do one side after a pot of coffee to warm up, etc.
Use to tell the younger trainees, it's not what you know, not what I can teach you, it's what you can figure out that you have never came across that will make you a good maintenance person.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #24

OK!! half way done. Didn't have to cut down the u-bolt length. Other than that it is going like I said above. It would go a lot quicker if I had a 4" long deep well socket so I could use the impact wrench. But, I do have a 7/8" ratcheting combination wrench. I started off using a 6", 8" would have been better c-clamp, but it isn't needed. After breaking loose the lock nut the combination wrench had no problem running up the nuts. Very little umph was required. Just do one side a little, then the other. Takes a while because of the fine threads. Also measure the thread length at the end and keep them the same. Seeing as how there was no lock washer between the nuts I put on a little blue locktite on the lock nut. Get that from most shops - NOT.
Took me about an hour and a half, that included gathering up the tools, etc. Decided to do the other side tomorrow. Getting dark out and the temp is down to 28. Might go a bit quicker tomorrow except the rear u-bolt is partially blocked by the exhaust. Just something to work around. No biggie though.
Also, don't see any danger doing it oneself, just the cold gets to ya.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems not a wise idea to cut off the U-Bolt if tension ever has to be released. Just buy a deep socket or HD-pipe socket. If there is not enough tread loosen up one side of the U-Bolt and install washers and then do the other side of the same U-Bolt. For safety; If there is a single nut you always can double up the nut.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Seems not a wise idea to cut off the U-Bolt if tension ever has to be released. Just buy a deep socket or HD-pipe socket. If there is not enough tread loosen up one side of the U-Bolt and install washers and then do the other side of the same U-Bolt. For safety; If there is a single nut you always can double up the nut.
Agree about not cutting down the u-bolts. Must have posted my reply about the same time you did.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #27

OK well done mad dad! I will take it to my auto mechanic on my dime. Spoke with Jayco and not recalled or safety issue. My call to Hellwig yielded same response on safety although proper distance according to them is 2". I will let my guy make final call. Good news is doesn't seem to difficult. I'm most interested in whatever optimal performance is after all we paid for JRide package
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I talked to our closest Hellwig dealer... He had no clue about any of this. The guy is a 100 miles and did not exude confidence in me with our conversation....
I have yet to approach our dealer ....taking a wait and see given were in storage and not willing to risk winter travel. What are the chances Jayco is going to step to the plate and issue a service advisory or recall? There is a lot of bad PR here that could be avoided. Lack of dillegence in monitoring message boards like this is an outdated business model -- step up, Jayco if you are listening and care about our safety and your reputation!
Unlikely they will do a formal recall however they paid to have my rig adjusted properly to Hellwig specifications.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
OK well done mad dad! I will take it to my auto mechanic on my dime. Spoke with Jayco and not recalled or safety issue. My call to Hellwig yielded same response on safety although proper distance according to them is 2". I will let my guy make final call. Good news is doesn't seem to difficult. I'm most interested in whatever optimal performance is after all we paid for JRide package
It is a safety issue because once the Ford suspension bottoms out on the bump stop the shackle can become unloaded and then rapidly contact the spring. This can strip out the bolts and cause a failure.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #30

In any case I will be having them adjusted next week
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #31

Not sure where to take the measurement from. I took it from the bottom of the U shaped section of the Hellwig spring where the U-bolt sits to the top of the Rv's spring. If that's not it I may be at 2.5". Anyhow it's a lot better than what it was.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #32

All done! Just got to thaw out for a while. I did have to cut about 1" off the one side of the rear u-bolt as it was hitting the exhaust pipe.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #33

Nice job..now your making me feel like I should tackle it myself!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
Nice job..now your making me feel like I should tackle it myself!
It really wasn't difficult at all. Just need the right tools. The hydrolic levelers were the biggest help. Mine required a 7/8" ratcheting combo wrench, the only special tool. Had to buy one, $20, But I would spent more than that on gas to go to the dealer.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #35

MadDad, did you unload the suspension?

or Can it be tightened while loaded.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
MadDad, did you unload the suspension?

or Can it be tightened while loaded.
Yes Is I said I used the hydrolic levelers. I raise the side I was working on to unload the suspension. Probably couldn't have done it with just a combination wrench while loaded.

I also cheated on the safety issue of not even using jack stands under the frame. There is so much clearance between the frame and the ground that I didn't feel the need. After all the tires were still on, and if the levelers failed I wouldn't have been squished anyway
Old 11-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #37

Wow just check my new 31 DS I just pickup last month and it has 4 inch's also.

Charles H. W,. Bradford
Old 11-16-2014, 03:36 AM   #38
WDW

Morryde shackles

I was wondering through MorRyde's web site and found they sell / install a nice looking beefed up helper spring shackle. I'm jot sure how to post a link... But it might be worthy of some conversation from those of you who are more experienced on this topic.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #39

So I looked at the installation instructions for the hellwig helper springs. There is no mention of a big or small of a gap.

It can be barley snugged to down to a 1/4". They say the gap can be as big or small as the load demands.

It also states that the tensioning should be done with the vehicle on a flat surface and the suspension loaded.

So where are we getting the 2" gap measurement? and from who? Is this coming from Jayco or Hellwig?

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #40

From Kevin at Hellwig..easy to get him on the phone. At 3 or 4 inches you are receiving 2500 pound benefit at 2" 3500 lbs. Not a safety issue according to Kevin. Jayco warranty told me no recall should be fine as more Ryde installed it rtc