Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #161

Yes. WITHIN the bracket from curve of the Hellwig to the top of that Jayco spring MadDad indicated and I also went same as him a gap distance of 2". Hope this all helps you.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #162

I believe the Hellwig instructions are to tighten with the springs loaded.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #163

Not to question anyone on their procedure as all ideas are worth considering before climbing under the vehicle. The Hellwigs on my MH were my first experience with them. I however would think that following the method used by MadDad would be just fine. It did work for me. By unloading tension on the springs I tightened up with the wrench on each of those nuts and there was very little resistance which to me was a good thing. My Greyhawk 31FS since then has been very good on the highway.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #164

My question is, with so many of us owners noting springs out of adjustment (4-5") and consistent recommendations from Hellwig (2"), why hasn't Jayco (or MORryde) corrected this?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #165

has anyone tried using a ratchet strap to compress the springs like I did? easy to adjust to the size you need and less tiring than the c clamp? I am still having issues with mine so its onto air bags and sway bars. another 2000 out of pocket for this new adventure. should have stuck with planes. somehow they're cheaper...
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #166

At this point it would really be great to have a sticky on the first post of this thread detailing what folks need to do, instead of reading through 17 pages of comments. Maybe a mod will throw this up front if it's accurate. If its not accurate, can somebody help me make it more accurate?

The steps as I understand it:

1. Block the back tires of the side you are NOT working on. Raise the side of the coach your ARE working on w/ your levelers so that the rear tire is grazing the pavement.
2. C-clamp the helper spring and the stock Ford spring. Clamp it just tight enough to hold it in place in case it snaps back at you.
3. Using a 7/8" ratchet wrench, begin tightening the 'top' nut a few turns. Starting from the front of the helper spring, work on each side a little at a time. Back the 'bottom' nut up to the top nut after each adjustment, however the C-Clamp is there to provide that insurance.
3a. I assume you have to tighten up the C-Clamp as you tighten up the nuts.
4. Once you have 2" left on the front gap of the spring from the dip of the helper spring where the shackle rests to the top of the Ford spring, verify that the thread length on each side of the shackle is equal from the bottom nut to the end of the shackle
5. Undo the C-clamp, the front side of the spring is done.
6. Repeat 2-5 for the back side of the helper spring
7. Drop the levelers

Repeat 1-6 on the other side of the rig.

Am I missing anything? Feel free to edit/amend this until we have it right.

Any value in spraying the threads w/ WD40 in case they have some gunk holding them down? I definitely don't want to strip anything as I work through this. My threads are in pretty good shape (visually).

This doesn't seem like an incredibly difficult job.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #167

You have it down correctly. Your post will help others. Nothing wrong with using lubricant but keep an eye on it when you inspect your vehicle so that your adjustment stays at the proper distance. I was about to do that but the vehicle was brand new and the nuts turned somewhat easy so I did not use lubricant. And the answer is yes to item 3a you listed.

No I didn't find it hard but I was careful using safety precautions.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #168

I'll lube it if its giving me problems, otherwise I'll leave it be. I just go the 8" clamp and the 7/8" ratcheting ratchet. When I bring the rig home in a couple weeks for some pre-camp prep, this will be on my to-do list.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #169

We just bought our 2016 Jayco Redhawk 23XM 10 days ago and after reading this thread my husband looked and sure enough we have this issue.
If they know it's wrong why are they still selling these units like this!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #170

Good question. Jayco touts JRide as a feature, it should be installed/configured correctly.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #171

Yes specially with the safety issue being possible loss of control of vehicle . Someone is going to be injured if not killed.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
At this point it would really be great to have a sticky on the first post of this thread detailing what folks need to do, instead of reading through 17 pages of comments. Maybe a mod will throw this up front if it's accurate. If its not accurate, can somebody help me make it more accurate?

The steps as I understand it:

1. Block the back tires of the side you are NOT working on. Raise the side of the coach your ARE working on w/ your levelers so that the rear tire is grazing the pavement.
You pretty much nailed it. Only things I could add would to be: cut a block of wood and put it between the springs to act as an indicator and to get all at the right space, and 2 don't do it when it is 30 deg out like I did, burrrrr.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
You pretty much nailed it. Only things I could add would to be: cut a block of wood and put it between the springs to act as an indicator and to get all at the right space, and 2 don't do it when it is 30 deg out like I did, burrrrr.
Are the levelers down on the side you're NOT working on? As you shift the weight off the one side you ARE working on, are you letting the wheels/tires support the load on their own?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #174

Quote:
Are the levelers down on the side you're NOT working on? As you shift the weight off the one side you ARE working on, are you letting the wheels/tires support the load on their own?
I just put down the ones on the side I was working on. Seemed to work just fine.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Jayco incorrectly installed the Hellwig helper springs on many Greyhawk motorhomes with the "J-Ride" package. The Redhawk brand may also be affected. If you own a Greyhawk or Redhawk motorhome I strongly suggest you inspect your Hellwig springs adjustment. I have attached photos of an incorrectly adjusted spring and a correctly adjusted spring. If the springs are not correctly adjusted the spring shackle can fail due to the bolts stripping the threads. This can cause loss of vehicle control and or death. Given the weight of the unit the Hellwig helper springs should be adjusted so there is approximately 3/4" - 1" of distance to the factory springs.
Hello!

I was doing a bit of research on this to see what the proper adjustments might be. I actually looked at several youtube videos and downloaded the Hellwig PDF installation instructions and this is what I found. The end U-bolts should be adjusted where it's tight enough to not allow it to rattle around when driving but also, you can tighten it as much as you need to, up to a certain point, depending on your preference. Here is the youtube video:

I hope this clears things up a bit!

Cheers!

Olga.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #176

I talked to both Jayco and Hellwig about the issue. What I found out is that the Hellwig springs are adjusted for an unloaded transport weight from the factory to the Dealership. It is expected that after any dealer add-ons, and the unit has full fuel, water, and propane, the dealer will re-adjust the springs for a delivery weight.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I talked to both Jayco and Hellwig about the issue. What I found out is that the Hellwig springs are adjusted for an unloaded transport weight from the factory to the Dealership. It is expected that after any dealer add-ons, and the unit has full fuel, water, and propane, the dealer will re-adjust the springs for a delivery weight.
I understand that you spoke to Jayco but the installation of the Hellwig was made by MORryde. If there are after assembly adjustments to be made, per Hellwig instructions, via MORryde, then this information needed to be addressed by instructing Jayco to return the units to them after assembly. I still hold onto what the instructions say for the Hellwigs, the installation instructions from the manufacturer. It's a matter of preference.... By the way, I test drove a 2016 Greyhawk ME with the Hellwigs installed by MORryde and the unit rode fine, I did not hear any clanking indicating the Hellwig was too loose, not adjusted properly. And years ago, my spouse and I installed Hellwig helper springs on our Blazer to help with the weight while towing our, then, travel trailer. The instructions are pretty clear cut, it's a matter of preference BUT I'd be careful not to tighten too much! Things can go bad quickly either way....

Cheers!

Olga.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #178

I emailed Hellwig via the web form. I put the weights of my rig as per the factory (including corner weights).

Kevin wrote back pretty quickly, and advised me to cinch them down to 2". Just like others have discovered.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #179

Quote:
I emailed Hellwig via the web form. I put the weights of my rig as per the factory (including corner weights).

Kevin wrote back pretty quickly, and advised me to cinch them down to 2". Just like others have discovered.
Jopopsy,

Do you have Kevin's contact information? If you do, please share it as I would like to contact him as well. If the Hellwig is not adjusted properly, then it's Hellwig's responsibility to make sure the installers are doing what they need to do....

Cheers!!

Olga.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Jopopsy,

Do you have Kevin's contact information? If you do, please share it as I would like to contact him as well. If the Hellwig is not adjusted properly, then it's Hellwig's responsibility to make sure the installers are doing what they need to do....

Cheers!!

Olga.
Use the Contact Us form on their website.