Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #181

As far as the alignment goes, the manual clearly states Jayco will reimburse the owner for an alignment when you first buy it.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #182

I want to clarify my post and not give out bad info. Pg 4-4 of the manual says, "We recommend you have the front suspension and alignment checked and adjusted after you have fully loaded the vehicle according to your needs as part of the vehicle maintenance. Thereafter it is your responsibility to have the alignment inspected periodically to maintain vehicle steering performance....."
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #183

One more post. Just spoke with Roger Johnson at Jayco. Very helpful and friendly. Said Jayco does indeed cover the first alignment just email him the bill at Motorizedservice@Jayco.com. Will process and mail out the check.

Mine is a 2016 but I have the vibration problem and they said they would fix and pay for that as well.

Stupid me forgot to ask about the Hellwigs....
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
At this point it would really be great to have a sticky on the first post of this thread detailing what folks need to do, instead of reading through 17 pages of comments. Maybe a mod will throw this up front if it's accurate. If its not accurate, can somebody help me make it more accurate?

The steps as I understand it:

1. Block the back tires of the side you are NOT working on. Raise the side of the coach your ARE working on w/ your levelers so that the rear tire is grazing the pavement.
2. C-clamp the helper spring and the stock Ford spring. Clamp it just tight enough to hold it in place in case it snaps back at you.
3. Using a 7/8" ratchet wrench, begin tightening the 'top' nut a few turns. Starting from the front of the helper spring, work on each side a little at a time. Back the 'bottom' nut up to the top nut after each adjustment, however the C-Clamp is there to provide that insurance.
3a. I assume you have to tighten up the C-Clamp as you tighten up the nuts.
4. Once you have 2" left on the front gap of the spring from the dip of the helper spring where the shackle rests to the top of the Ford spring, verify that the thread length on each side of the shackle is equal from the bottom nut to the end of the shackle
5. Undo the C-clamp, the front side of the spring is done.
6. Repeat 2-5 for the back side of the helper spring
7. Drop the levelers

Repeat 1-6 on the other side of the rig.

Am I missing anything? Feel free to edit/amend this until we have it right.

Any value in spraying the threads w/ WD40 in case they have some gunk holding them down? I definitely don't want to strip anything as I work through this. My threads are in pretty good shape (visually).

This doesn't seem like an incredibly difficult job.
Mission complete. I did the job exactly as outlined above with the tools I mentioned above and the addition of a 2" wood spacer block to help me know when to stop wrenching. I did have to hit all my bolts/nuts w/ WD40 to get them to break free. I'm far from weak (trust me on that), but my veins were popping on my neck getting those nuts to break loose. Once I got that far, it was smooth sailing for both springs/both sides. My threads didn't look corroded or anything either; the nuts were just stuck.

We'll see how she behaves on the road tomorrow when I bring her back to storage.

Special thanks to all of you who discussed this thoroughly.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #185

So far for my short run back to storage it does in fact feel like the spring adjustment made a difference. Prior to adjustment, from time to time my steering would sometimes feel 'light', which I always assumed was a wallow in the road or dip or something that caused my front end to lighten up a little as I made my way across.

I had no such lightness on the way back to storage.

I take her back out for a trip on Memorial Day weekend. We'll see how she fares on the highway, but so far I'm pleased w/ the work.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #186

As alignments go, Jayco held true to their service, I was having serious steering issues with my '16 Greyhawk 29MV. I contacted Jayco, had my coach aligned, and received my check in the mail today ..... "Thank You Jayco" ....

No vibration issues ......

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
As alignments go, Jayco held true to their service, I was having serious steering issues with my '16 Greyhawk 29MV. I contacted Jayco, had my coach aligned, and received my check in the mail today ..... "Thank You Jayco" ....

No vibration issues ......

Do you have an alignment report to share?
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Do you have an alignment report to share?
I'm not sure what you mean by "alignment report". I can tell you our coach now handles very well at 60 to 75 mph on the Interstate. Before the alignment, it was scary to say the least.

Now, on back roads and smaller highways, it handles like a dream. It doesn't dip and dodge nearly as much when larger trucks pass us by.

As for the needs and numbers of alignment, (sorry) I'm no mechanic...

Old 04-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #189

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "alignment report". I can tell you our coach now handles very well at 60 to 75 mph on the Interstate. Before the alignment, it was scary to say the least.

Now, on back roads and smaller highways, it handles like a dream. It doesn't dip and dodge nearly as much when larger trucks pass us by.

The shop should have given you a report as to what the numbers were and what they set them to.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
The shop should have given you a report as to what the numbers were and what they set them to.
Oh that report. Yes, I got that. I sent it on to Jayco as proof of the need for the alignment. It's around here somewhere.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #191

We too had alignment/caster work done. While in for alignment at service center, had them adjust Hellwig helper springs (corrected to 2" gap), headlights adjusted and leveler hydraulic tank topped off due to hose leak. Was only pre-authorized for alignment, but submitted the full bill ($539.87) and Jayco is cutting a check for all - great!

Purchased MH back in August last year and currently have about 3500 miles logged. No questions asked when I called Jayco initially about the alignment. I have heard they have the best customer service/support in the business - and thus far agree!
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #192

Quote:

So does that mean we should not being offering any alignment advice because we too are not mechanics.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
So does that mean we should not being offering any alignment advice because we too are not mechanics.
You should decide (for your self), if you need an alignment, and not wait on me for advise.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #194

Tightened up spring to 2 inches and had alignment done at Rudy Schmid in Syracuse NY ,excellent place to have work done, handles great now
Attached Thumbnails
20160428_134906.jpg  
Greyhawk 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #195

Helper Spring Jam Nut

The jamb nuts are way tight. I'm afraid I'll pop the shackle right off the spring and that would be problematic. What are anyone's thoughts on removing one of the nuts with a nut-buster and then just replacing it?
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #196

what size are the jamb nuts ... some times when I have something I cant get an impact on I put pressure on the wrench in the loosening direction and hit it with a 2 1/2 pound hammer a few times and it breaks the bolt loose sort of like an impact
Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #197

7/8" ratchet wrench is what you need. Mine were incredibly tight too.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #198

PB Blaster penetrating catalyst in a spray can available at Lowes, Auto Zone, Walmart, etc. Spray your bolts and let it soak overnite. I have used this successfully on many difficult situations and would do so before I bust any nuts. Then use the 7/8" ratcheting wrench as suggested in previous post. You can pick one up at Lowes for ten bucks or so.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #199

I was adjusting mine on my Redhawk 29XK and on one leg of a u bolt, nut would not move either direction, had to cut it off. E mailed Hellwig and they sent me a new u bolt and a bag of nuts and washers.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #200

Well after 8 year of owning my 31ss greyhawk I checked mine and found not one u bolt set the same . They were anywhere from 3 to 5 inches . all set to 3 in . cant wait to feel the improvement
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote