Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Washing Seneca

Hello all,

I am trying to find what special care is needed with washing the M2 Senecas with the Sikkens paint jobs. I was told by the dealer that the paint never really fully cures and therefor will not get those micro cracks that many other RV's get over time. Since it does not fully cure he said that it would not be good to wax it and to just wash it with some decent car wash soap and water. Thoughts on this?
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Well I do believe at some point everything will cure, well at least above ground. I just can't believe they would say that. Wax it, for me would be piece of mind. Look in your manual for exterior cleaning hope this helps a little.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
msmith9386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

I would contact Sikkens and ask them, they supply a product called Sikkens Autobase Plus to the RV industry. I have learned to never trust what the dealer says, products change so quick now a days they can't keep up.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

I like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. You can normally buy a gallon for about $13 on Amazon. It has a glossing agent that lasts for weeks and makes the paint really pop. I would not use a bristle brush as mine had been washed that way by the previous owner and has lots of "love" marks, which some people liken to spider webs or micro-scratches.

I'm in the process of polishing mine and will be putting a sealant on the paint following that to help aid in debris removal. Not to sound like a chemical guy spokesman, but I will be using Jetseal as I have used it on all my vehicles and have had incredible success.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

We've owned our 37FS for a year. We've put 24,000 miles under its wheels and the only thing that seems to enjoy our Seneca more than us is the bugs. Keeping it clean is a challenge, but I've been very satisfied with Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Cleaner. The front has the "Diamond Shield" on it, but it is still a suicide magnet for bugs. The Bug and Tar Cleaner does the trick.

I've kind of compared the paint job to a "clear coat" more than just a painted surface and real just work at keeping it clean, more than polishing it. The shine seems to be easy to keep.

Above the cab is the challenge. I've even balanced myself on the engine and radiator supports to really clean that area, but can't keep that going. I use a telescoping brush handle and that has worked poorly. The guy at the dealership had a heavy, strong, wooden brush handle and I think he was able to transfer his energy much easier.

Timely subject, thanks.

Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Above the cab is the challenge. I've even balanced myself on the engine and radiator supports to really clean that area, but can't keep that going. I use a telescoping brush handle and that has worked poorly. The guy at the dealership had a heavy, strong, wooden brush handle and I think he was able to transfer his energy much easier.

Timely subject, thanks.

Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences.
I have a telescoping pole and a soft bristle brush to wash the rig. I also use two adjustable ladders and a expanding scaffold plank, set it up over the open hood above the engine to wax the upper cap. Also use the ladders/scaffold setup to go all around the unit to do what I can't reach from the ground. Neighbors come by and just shake their heads as I wander around feet off the ground working on it! Takes 2-3 good days at my pace to wax my entire Seneca.

Collinite 845 Insulator wax is my polish of choice after cleaning.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

I use a telescoping brush for most of the lower front cap but usually lay belly flat on the roof to wash and wax the upper front cap.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote