Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Water filter

I have a 2004 Granite Ridge 3100SS MH. Have owned it about 2 1/2 years and have a question about the "on-board" water filter. First of all, does it even HAVE a plumbed in filter for the water system? If so, where the heck is it? I have looked at several places I thought it might be, and I am beginning to think it never had one to start with. Anyone have any information about this?

As you might expect, the owners manual is absolutely useless as far as locating equipment installed in the unit. Don't know why they even bother to print those things. They are so generic that it is usually a waste of time to even try to look things up. I have learned more on this forum and other RV forums than I ever have in the manual.

I will email Jayco if no one here can help. At least their Customer Service is usually helpful and responsive but this kind of information should be available without having to call the factory. Any help appreciated.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

The older units had an inline filter located in the cold water line under the sink. Usually a ROYAL PITA to get to. The original owner may not have even installed it.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

My rig has a filter connection under the kitchen sink in the cold water line. It also had a bracket with a bypass hose if you choose not to have it there.
I removed mine when I priced the filter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

While we're on this subject.

Is there a specific way (orientation) to connect an external filter. What I mean is,

From bib..

regualtor, hose, filter, trailer?
hose, filter, regulator, trailer?

..or does it matter??
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

I use an external Camco filter. From the campground spigot I use a pressure regulator, hose, then the Camco Filter into my rig's fresh water system. I do have an onboard filter but use the Camco as a pre-filter for sediment, etc.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the information, guys. I will take a look under the sink to see if I can locate the filter. I have a feeling it was never installed. Like others, I presently use the blue Walmart filter. We take our own drinking water and use the city water supply mainly for showers and dish washing etc. but if there is an on-board filter I want to know about it. Thanks again.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
I use an external Camco filter. From the campground spigot I use a pressure regulator, hose, then the Camco Filter into my rig's fresh water system. I do have an onboard filter but use the Camco as a pre-filter for sediment, etc.
x2
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

most of the new units come without the filter installed, dealer does it at pdi, best bet never have one in line use and external filter it works best, also if you have an inline filter and don't remove it during winterizing its probably completely destroyed and may clog water line enough to prevent proper winterizing, usually the ones installed are junk anyway, the camp works really great and can be bought almost anywhere
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #9

Not sure where you filter is. I have a 31DS and the filter is in the large rear outside storage compartment. You will see a panel that can be removed, and inside could be your water filter system. I think it is a really stupid place to install the system. I had the dealer bypass the entire system because you have to remove most of whatever you have in the storage compartment to access the water filter. I just use a water filter on the fresh water supply on the outside of the unit.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by taviking22 View Post
x3 Just replace it at the start of each season...
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Another issue with inline installed water filters; if you don't take them out or bypass them for winterization and you live in a cold climate (like here in Alaska); when the RV antifreeze gets pumped through all the lines it gets pumped into the filter. It take a long while to get that taste out of the filter after de-winterizing.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #12

Water filter location

I have a '04 Greyhawk 27DS and cannot find the water filter. Anyone know where to look for it?
whosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

I have a 2012 3100SS and the filter is behind the water service panel (where the outside shower is located). It can be accessed from inside the rear storage compartment. There is a panel held in place by six screws, and behind that panel is the filter as well as all the other plumbing. I agree with other comments here and about to bypass the filter, and go the a filter connected to the hose outside. I have to climb inside my rear storage to get access to the filter, then take it out, winterize, put everything back in before parking for the winter, the do it again in reverse to put the filter back in before I use it in the spring. If that filter needs to come out for winterizing, they should have made it easier to get to. Everyone chime in.... Do you remove your filter before winterizing? Another option might be to cut this effort in half, and replace the filter with a dry one when it's winterized and not have to do it again in the spring. I assume the reason for removing it for winter is that it' soaking wet with water and may mess things up if it freezes? BTW I blow out my lines, and only use antifreeze in the drains. I do not pump antifreeze thru the system. I live in E. Washington State where it sometimes gets cold in the winter.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #14

Finally got our under sink water filter removed. What a stupid design by Jayco. Had to remove the whole bank of drawers then struggled to reach the connections with 2 pairs of pliers, a super PITA, thank you Jayco for a miserable hour that we will never get back. As we sometimes need to winterize, another reason that it will never be replaced. Just need to install the 'winterize' tubing and leave it there, as soon as I get some dope for the plastic threads (if needed). I use a filter on my incoming hose connection and that's enough. The hose connection filter also helps regulate the water pressure from the camp ground.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the reply, Trippers. Went and looked and not sure if it there as there is a wood panel at back of drawers where drawer slides are mounted. Do you have to remove that? Not even sure if there is one, actually. Will look at outside service panel next.
whosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #16

Try looking in the largest outside storage compartment. You may see a panel with lots of screws. Take the panel off, and you should find the water filter. It is a huge pain to get to it because you must take most of the stuff in the compartment out. I just bypassed mine and never use it. If you want a water filter, buy one that you can use outside at the hose inlet. this is much easier.
nascar64 is offline   Reply With Quote