Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Question water filter

Does anyone know is there a water filter canister? on a 2020 jayco red hawk 24 B? or do I use a blur canister on my hose to city water like I did on my TT
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

It's inside the rear wardrobe cabinet, on the right side. (a really stupid place). You need to remove the brown vent cover in the middle, and probably remove the two right drawers to get in and change the filter. Plus, it's so much fun trying to get it out without spilling water on the electronics on the floor in that cabinet, too.

I completely took my canister out, and just use the external blue Camco filters.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
CAG

If you cannot find it there, do a search here. There is another thread on this, I think concerning the Greyhawk and you would not believe the number of different places that they are installed. It seems that it was at the whim of the installer on any certain day.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
It's inside the rear wardrobe cabinet, on the right side. (a really stupid place). You need to remove the brown vent cover in the middle, and probably remove the two right drawers to get in and change the filter. Plus, it's so much fun trying to get it out without spilling water on the electronics on the floor in that cabinet, too.

I completely took my canister out, and just use the external blue Camco filters.

Oh wow, would never have found it , thanks so much!
Old 03-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
unit_photo_201909060609380771940231.jpg   unit_photo_201909060609395795593241.jpg   unit_tech_drawing_201906050248500431730408.jpg  
Old 03-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
Did you find it in the base of the rear cabinet?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #7

Thumbs up

I'll look tomorrow and let you know
Old 03-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

Quote:

I'm with you on that one! After going through that process on sanitizing my new J22, the next time I need to replace that filter will be the external Camco filters. If Jayco wanted to lower their prices and do their customers a favor, they would skip the internal cannister and supply a Camco with every similar designed MH, IMHO.
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

was it hard to take it out? I guess I mean disconnect it? Terrible place to put it
Old 03-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #10

Yes terrible place, that is so dumb, I'll have to put it in a bag to tilt it and take it out so as not to spill the water
Old 03-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes terrible place, that is so dumb, I'll have to put it in a bag to tilt it and take it out so as not to spill the water
Air compressor with the appropriate adapter set to 40 Psi. Open the faucets and let any water flow out until it is steady air and the filter canister should be empty. Keep the faucet open to relieve air as you disconnect the compressor making it easier to unscrew the filter canister. The canisters are hell to remove if the system is under pressure. This process has served me well for about 10 years on three different motorhomes.

Use an adapter like this on the compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36153-B...WRQ0BWGNZBH924

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
was it hard to take it out? I guess I mean disconnect it? Terrible place to put it
I guess that would depend on how handy you are. Besides trying to climb into the cabinet to get to the filter housing and mounting hardware (which is a real PIA), I had to cut the Pex tubing on each side, and put a Shark Bite connector in to reattach the two ends.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I guess that would depend on how handy you are. Besides trying to climb into the cabinet to get to the filter housing and mounting hardware (which is a real PIA), I had to cut the Pex tubing on each side, and put a Shark Bite connector in to reattach the two ends.
I guess it also depends upon what model of RV you have.

In my case, Redhawk 22J, the steps were:

-Extend the slide out.
-Locate the filter wrench.
-Remove the drawers under the clothes closet.
-Remove the vent panel under the bottom drawer.
-Locate the filter and protect electrical items from spills. Note, as you
unscrew the canister and angle it to remove it's spill time!
-Remove the filter and clean the inside of the canister and apply some seal
lubricant.
-Replace the empty canister and sanitize the system.
-Remove the canister again.
-Replace/re-install the filter.
-Replace the canister with new filter.
-Replace the drawers.
-Replace the vent panel.

Up to 12 steps each time you replace the filter or sanitize the system. Next time, I definitely will remove the canister filter for good and use an external filter.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #14

I hope the installer that put my filter in has 4 flat tires at nighttime on a narrow 2 lane road 200 miles from a tire store. Then we will be even..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
I guess it also depends upon what model of RV you have.

In my case, Redhawk 22J, the steps were:
Exactly the same steps in my rig too, a real pain in the ass. Here was the straw that broke the camel's back:

Quote:
-Extend the slide out.
-Locate the filter and protect electrical items from spills. Note, as you
unscrew the canister and angle it to remove it's spill time!
Having to run the slide out, when the rig was sitting in the driveway, just to replace or get to the filter was a no-go. This is why I decided to eliminate that disaster, once and for all, and remove the canister permanently!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Can you post a pic of what you did? I got a 1/2” PVC pipe, cut it to 5.25”, and cemented a male fitting on each end. I then screwed each end onto the female spin ends Jayco gave me.

Real technical terms I know - I’m no plumber.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Can you post a pic of what you did? I got a 1/2” PVC pipe, cut it to 5.25”, and cemented a male fitting on each end. I then screwed each end onto the female spin ends Jayco gave me.
I don't think I took a picture during the process. But what I did was cut the blue 1/2" plastic Pex tubing right below the two bypass valves. That gave me two bare Pex ends. Then I bought a 90 degree 1/2" Shark Bite coupling fitting at Home Depot, and pushed those two cut ends into the coupling.

Done..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...8LFA/202270510
Attached Thumbnails
water filter.jpg  
Old 03-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
I don't think I took a picture during the process. But what I did was cut the blue 1/2" plastic Pex tubing right below the two bypass valves. That gave me two bare Pex ends. Then I bought a 90 degree 1/2" Shark Bite coupling fitting at Home Depot, and pushed those two cut ends into the coupling.

Done..

So, did you cut out the canister completely?
Old 03-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
So, did you cut out the canister completely?
That’s what I did. I believe he did too.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:

Done..

So you made a ‘v’ with the pex and the 90 degree fitting?

I made one of these:
Attached Thumbnails
09D86DFB-D4F4-4471-B474-1799FA9A17B1.jpg