Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Water Filter Location - who designed this?

Looking to see what people have done with their onboard water filters. In my coach, Jayco located the filter housing INSIDE the rear wardrobe cabinet. To get to it requires getting the slide all the way out, removing the 4 screws for the grill or even removing the bottom drawer of the cabinet.

How crazy. Then to get the wrench on the housing requires you to be a contortionist. Not even sure how to get some sort of pan in there and underneath the housing to catch any drips for not spilling on the electronics in that cabinet too.

Has anyone relocated that filter assembly so cartridge changes are easier? Anyone not using it? I bought external filters to attach to the hose bib and water line, are these enough or should I run the internal filter too?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

I have the Entegra Odyssey model which is pretty much the same as your Redhawk. I have the same issue. Went to go winterize it and I couldn’t reach it to turn off switches and remove. I tried to remove the bottom drawer and realized the bed was in the way even with the slide out. I called the dealer and they said they heard of this being an issue and would contact jayco. I never heard back. Now that the unit is de-winterized, I think I will called them again too see if I can get this fixed. I hope it can be fixed under warranty, if not I will pay to get it fixed. It is pretty worthless to me the way it is.
jswish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Mine was stuffed up and and behind the kitchen sink removed it a use a external filter at supply
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

Hard to believe someone in engineering could have signed off on this location. Before I even picked up my 24B the dealer had taken the initiative and removed the filter. They gave me an external filter to use instead. I would guess it will work just as well as the internal one would have.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I was in there today, de-winterizing and flushing the lines, then sanitizing the system. I pulled the grill off and even took the bottom drawer out to look around for any leaks. My dealer said he took the filter cartridge out when he winterized the unit so I didn't open the canister.

Now, in hindsight, after testing and flushing out everything and running the slide back in, I should have physically checked to see if there really was a cartridge in there..... darn... now I need to open it all up again... lessons learned.. I'm planning on using the external inline filters outside..

Plus, the Einstein engineers mounted the water pump in the same area directly under the water filter. So, if the input strainer gets clogged, I'm not even sure if I can get to it. What a screwed up installation for a maintenance item.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

I agree, filter before it comes in. I have 2 children with cystic fibrosis. I did research ad nauseam I decided that the clear source 3 filter system was the way to go. It filters to .2 microns. Connect to your source and then to fresh water intake and go. I also installed a 12 volt uv filter after that, but it is most likely overkill for what you need. My rv water is cleaner and safer than ANY city water. Just need to keep lines and tank sanitized.
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

Mine's in the basement. Accessible but no fun to get to.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Angry

my 2017 26xd is under the bathroom sink. filter goes right to the floor so couldnt get the wrench on, had to get the son with strong hands to turn it off, took filter out reinstalled and have used external filters since.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote