Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Water filters

I just sanitized my fresh water tank with 3/4 cup of a bleach solution. I removed my interior filter because I was not sure if the bleach would harm the filter and plan on replacing it with a new one. Does anyone sanitize with the filter in place using bleach? I’ve always did my 2 other RV’s with vinegar but I’ve read vinegar doesn’t fully kill certain bacteria’s so I switched to bleach.

Also, I use an exterior filter at the hose connection. Then I started thinking, why do I even need 2 filters? The one under my bathroom sink in my RedHawk is a pain to get to! Why not leave it out and just use one? When I fill fresh water it’s being filtered through the exterior filter anyway. And we drink bottled water always.

What do y’all think?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

LOL!

I was just thinking the same thing about using 2 filters!! I have always used one of the blue Camco filters on my fresh water hose, and continue to do so out of habit I guess. But the filter under my sink is superior to the Camco one, and so far I plan to replace the inside one every year. So why bother with 2 filters? I dunno, but I keep doing it anyway!!

And we don't drink the tap or tank water either. I bring a 5-gal water cooler jug filled with RO water with a manual "Dolphin" pump on it for drinking, and filtered water from home (or RO water) for ice.

As for the bleach, I would remove all filters before running the bleach solution. Then rinse, then reinstall/replace any filters.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks camper_bob!

I’ve been doing the same as you for the past 4 years!

So you think the filter should be taken out and rinsed under tap water? What if that’s contaminated too? I’d rather Change it but mine is hard to get to in my rig.

Maybe I’m just being over cautious?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

Really the way I look at it is if there's clean water coming into the rig, the filter should be fine and replaced on a regular basis.

If you've used water you believe to be contaminated in some way, take the filter out, sanitize the system, put in a new filter.

When you go to sanitize the system for routine maintenance, take out the filter. If it's time to replace it, then do so. Otherwise, put the filter back in and move on. Do this at least once a year depending on usage. I take my on-board filter out in January at the end of our "season" and winterize the rig. Then when I go to "de-winterize" in May I will rinse out any AF if I've used it, run bleach solution through the system, put in a shiny new filter and I'm off. I also replace the outside Camco filter then as well.

But then, my filter is relatively easy to get to under the sink.

Now that I think about it, if it was hard for me to deal with the on-board filter, I might just get rid of it altogether and use just the Camco in-line filter...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

I removed the entire filter housing from under the bathroom sink in our Redhawk. Found it didn't have a filter in it anyway. I made up a short PEX line to go in it's place. We also use an external filter and bottled water for drinking.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

My inside filter is in the bottom of the wardrobe cabinet, virtually impossible to get to and remove. I didn't even put the filter element in it.

I use the external Camco filters too. The reality, many of us drank water out of the garden hose growing up, and since you're here to post, it didn't kill us.

I make sure to give the hose bib a good flushing before hooking up, then I flush my hose and inline filter really well before hooking it up to the coach. There are many things that are going to kill us. Drinking the water that comes out of the Camco filter, I believe, isn't one of them.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

Personally I would only use 1 filter. Each filter creates back pressure, and restricts flow.

If the internal is hard, to reach, only use an external.

Next if you do not drink the water, why bother filtering it?

Next item, you really need to replace the filter at least once a year. So replace it, when you sanitize, if you keep a filter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

Forget the inline filters and pressure drops/replacement $$$ they create and get a Berkey for all your water consumption uses. But also remember to use the Berkey water when brushing your teeth! You can also bring it home with you and use it there when not camping. Inline filters can't come close to what the Berkey does except an RO system but that generates more wastewater than clean water.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

I ran my 2017 Greyhawk for a year without an internal filter. I had assumed that the new filter in the parts kit was an extra one. Turned out Jayco didn't bother installing a filter before turning it over to me. Thanks guys!

I installed the filter and replace it annually. It is not a big deal and just is a bit extra peace of mind. I didn't notice any pressure drop with the filter installed.

I also use a filter on the hose when filling just for the extra filtering action. I figure it can't hurt to maybe have a bit cleaner water. The filter is not that expensive.

OK, I don't drink the tank water but instead bring jugs of Costco water. But....we do cook with the water plus brush our teeth. And don't forget dish washing.

I mostly boondock and even use my tank water at campgrounds that only have electric and water hookups. If there is no sewer, I feel better using my tank water so I can gauge the gray tank level.

If I do hook up to campground water you better believe I have a filter inline. You can't know the water quality coming in.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #10

Water filters

Do not use it, leave it empty, no filter cartridge, too much of a hassle to get to. Located behind the lower dresser draw, have to tilte the canister to get it out, water all over the place just use an external filter attached to hose.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally I would only use 1 filter. Each filter creates back pressure, and restricts flow.

If the internal is hard, to reach, only use an external.

Next if you do not drink the water, why bother filtering it?

Next item, you really need to replace the filter at least once a year. So replace it, when you sanitize, if you keep a filter.
We just use the blue Camco filter on the outside, only to keep things out of the water system that may cause a problem with faucets, water heater, or the pump.

We use bottled water for everything except brushing our teeth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Team

We replaced out internal filter with the short bypass hose that came with the unit. We use a whole house filter on the input to the rig.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote