Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Water heater noise

Our water heater is occasionally making a clicking noise. It almost sounds like that clicking when you light a grill or stove, but it's the electric heater not the gas. Last night it started doing it continuously and I had to turn it off. This morning I turned it back on and no clicking. It will eventually start up again.

Any ideas what's going on?
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

sounds like the gas burner is trying to light. are you running on propane?
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Our water heater is occasionally making a clicking noise. It almost sounds like that clicking when you light a grill or stove, but it's the electric heater not the gas. Last night it started doing it continuously and I had to turn it off. This morning I turned it back on and no clicking. It will eventually start up again.

Any ideas what's going on?
Sounds like the issue I encountered last weekend. (See link below) My water heater started clicking in the middle of the night like it was trying to ignite the LP, even though I had the GAS switch OFF and was running on electric. I assume yours can run on either electric, gas or both?

It did not happen again the following 2 nights. It may have happened during the day, but I didn't notice since I wasn't sleeping next to it in the quiet of night time.

I ran it by my dealer and they said they never heard of such a thing and would have to take a look at it. The only problem is that my 38FDDS is at a seasonal site 130 miles from the dealership. I told them I'd keep an eye on it. If it continues, I'll schedule a visit from them the next time they're in the area (cape cod) to perform other work.

Another member had a similar issue and replaced the circuit board on the heater. Problem solved.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...sue-46627.html
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

We can run electric, propane or both. No problems with the propane lighting. This happens when we are on electric. It starts as a couple clicks every hour or so, then maybe later in the day you get a half dozen or so at a time. Last night it went non stop until I turned the electric heat off. This morning turned it back on and no clicks (yet).

We are also 100 miles from our dealer normally, but are currently on vacation 800 miles away.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
We can run electric, propane or both. No problems with the propane lighting. This happens when we are on electric. It starts as a couple clicks every hour or so, then maybe later in the day you get a half dozen or so at a time. Last night it went non stop until I turned the electric heat off. This morning turned it back on and no clicks (yet).

We are also 100 miles from our dealer normally, but are currently on vacation 800 miles away.
Yup.. Exactly the same issue I have. Mine hasn't gotten to point of non stop trying to ignite, but every so often throughout the night, I could hear the ignitor going. If it continues, I may try a board swap with or without dealer support. I'm under warranty, but I'll bite the bullet on a new board and swap it myself if need be.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

UPDATE: I got off the phone with Atwood support. They were very nice. They have not heard of such an issue, so it's not a known problem.
She did say that it could be the electric relay I'm hearing (located in the back-$14 part Amazon), or it could indeed be the circuit board causing the ignitor to fire in error. One way to find out is to put a voltmeter on the orange wire while it's happening to see if the board is in fact sending current to the ignitor. (In my mind, I was thinking of just looking at the ignitor to see if it sparks).
I was kinda hoping they'd volunteer to send me new parts, but no such luck, LOL!.. It does have a 2 year warranty, but they do not cover service calls. Unless I can have my dealer address it on his next visit to the cape, I'd have to pay the local Atwood service rep to make the trip to my site, and the part(s) would be covered by Atwood. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy the part and do the job myself. For now, I'm just going to keep an ear on it.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #7

Temporary solution, if far from repair source (parts, service, whatever). If it is electrical clicking, it will have a circuit. Find the fuse that controls that circuit and pull the fuse. If it impacts the electrical side of the unit, only put the fuse in when it is needed and then pull back out when done.

Much like many circuit boards, sometimes they need to be rebooted. Pulling the fuse, letting it sit for a considerable amount of time, may allow it to reset and resolve the problem upon providing power to it, again.

Just a few ideas to maybe help you get through the immediate problem.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

I'm wondering if this is a new issue to them since they switched back to regular water heaters (not on demand)...
Old 05-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Temporary solution, if far from repair source (parts, service, whatever). If it is electrical clicking, it will have a circuit. Find the fuse that controls that circuit and pull the fuse. If it impacts the electrical side of the unit, only put the fuse in when it is needed and then pull back out when done.

Much like many circuit boards, sometimes they need to be rebooted. Pulling the fuse, letting it sit for a considerable amount of time, may allow it to reset and resolve the problem upon providing power to it, again.

Just a few ideas to maybe help you get through the immediate problem.

I like the reboot idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Well, I didn't hear the noise all weekend so I'm not sure what it was.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Well now, to add to the clicking, there's this...

I turned the propane on too, to expedite heating this morning (since I have to turn the electric off at night due to the clicking). After the initial heating, every 3 minutes the propane would kick on, run 20 seconds, then shut off. No hot water had been used yet, I'm still lying in bed!
Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Water heater noise

Normal for gas to fire to keep the water hot. Even if you're not using it, it'll will cool down. Sounds like it's just trying to maintain thermostat temp. Call Atwood and explain your concerns. They can tell you the best actions to take if it doesn't sound normal to them.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #13

Definitely not usual for the gas. Only ran 20 seconds at a time, every 3 minutes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Definitely not usual for the gas. Only ran 20 seconds at a time, every 3 minutes
Agreed and it definitely does sound like a circuit board problem even more so now.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #15

I need to call them about a few other things too (propane smell - though I think something is stuck in there from the last refill) and slide out toppers. I'll see if the dealer can help me out. Only 4th time using it