Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Water heater question with 30 amp class C

Hey everyone. Still new to RV'ing, but have a question on using the water heater . Having 2 AC's and EMS on a 30 amp coach, is it better to use propane vs electricity to heat water to save amperage for other appliances? Or do you value the propane more for the other items in coach? Getting ready to take the beast out for the 1st time, and not really sure how much propane it will use to do things like heat water heater, or furnace, or cool the fridge. Appreciate any advice.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

On a 30 amp service, running both A/C units and water heater won't fly, along with the fridge, converter, micro, etc... You'll definitely exceed the 30...

The only option is to run the fridge and water heater on propane. These two really don't use much propane. The furnace is the monster that really eats it.

I've been out 3 times since filling my tank, and running the water heater, the fridge, the stove a little, and an external barbecue grill off of it, and I still have between 1/2 and 3/4 on the gauge.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #3

When it's hot enough for both AC units to be running, I switch the WH over to gas. IIRC, it takes like 11A on electric? Anyway, I'd rather use the propane and keep the coach cool than have one of the AC units drop out. That being said, I believe the AC units take precedence over the WH. When mine is on electric, it always seems to show a "shed" status if both AC units are running.

If it's that hot out, we're not using all that much hot water anyway, so no big deal, and I take Navy showers, so I don't worry about it too much. I'll turn it on and off throughout the weekend if I remember to do it to save a little propane.

The fridge is VERY propane efficient, but I usually leave that one on "auto" unless DW decides to use her blow drier. If she does that, sometimes I'll remember to switch it manually.

Any way, short answer is all I really worry about from a power management standpoint is the WH. We run through about 3/4 of a tank of propane over a season? Maybe? We cook in the rig a lot too, and run the fridge on propane while in transit (assuming the generator isn't running to keep the AC units on). I just fill propane once a season or before a long journey. I haven't gotten close to running out of propane in this rig running the way I do.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
RPR

Our 2018 Class C has a Power Management System Which makes it nice. We turn the hot water heater on electric when we set up and leave it on. Thermostat controlled so does not run all the time. Does not take long for 6 gallon to heat up. This time of year in the South water from hose and campground is warm. Running one AC and hair dryer is not a problem.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I was surprised when my main ac worked on home shore power, but the 11 amp unit explains that . I know what you mean by Navy showers being a Marine that's been on 3 west pacs, but happy wife=happy life.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #6

Personally, I use the MH as is, and pop the main circuit breaker a few times. That will give you an idea what you can and cannot do. It is no big deal if you pop a circuit breaker, other than having to reset it. Sometimes we pop the camper's circuit breaker, sometimes the Shore power post breaker.

Usually when we pop the main breaker, we are using the microwave, and the water heater and AC are on in the background. Typically it appears the AC condenser decides to cycle back on that overloads the circuit breaker. When the water heater is on electric it is hard to tell when the heating element is actually on, as it usually is just sitting there idle.

It is no big deal to flip the breaker, and does not hurt anything.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #7

Just a suggestion...we just came back from a long weekend in New Hampshire and we had to use heat at night (it was in the 40's) so if you are plugged in to shore power I would purchase a electric space heater and safe the propane.
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #8

Forgot to mention; we RARELY run the furnace. We tend to camp when it's HOT out, or at least not COLD. I've only had a couple of outings in this rig where the furnace was necessary. Typically I prefer a space heater anyway. Without the AC units running, we have plenty of capacity for the little ceramic heater. And it's enough to keep the furnace from running all the time.

Also, I tend to let the built in EMS do its thing. I'll only flip switches on appliances if I happen to remember. My trailer had 50A service, so I mostly ran the WH on electric except if we were cycling through showers. Then I'd flip on the gas so it would recover quicker. That wasn't really necessary though, and I haven't found it necessary in my Greyhawk. By the time DW is done with her after-shower "routine", the WH has recovered enough for me anyway.

And the only time we've ever popped a breaker was at the post, and it was a known weak 30A breaker, so I just adapted up to 50A without worry.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #9

We do the Green Acres method now you can use 1 with 5 but not 2 with 5
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #10

Propane is cheap. I do not understand why no one want's to us it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
RPR

When staying at a campground I am going to use their electricity as much as possible since I am paying for it.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
When staying at a campground I am going to use their electricity as much as possible since I am paying for it.
I agree, just do not complain when you start tripping breakers.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
RPR

We have had our unit for two years, been on the road for about the last 12 months and have never had a power problem.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Propane is cheap. I do not understand why no one want's to us it.
That's true, but it's more of a pain in the ass trying to find a place that fills on-board tanks. There's no place near where I live, and I've been at a few campgrounds that won't fill MH tanks, only portable tanks.

So, plugging in and using the electric at the CG, that you're already paying for, instead of burning through propane, makes sense too.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #15

Being in Southern California, the furnace probably will be the last thing I use until we get out of Cali. I noticed the microwave is is 1st breaker that goes. When I reset , thats when I found out the GFI is on the breaker, not the outlet. On the water heater , do you guys have both the electric and propane switches on, or do you decide what you want to use and turn that specific switch on?
Old 06-19-2020, 02:33 AM   #16

You do not need both on at the same time but some people do. They say it is faster recovery. I don't know way then are in a hurry. I stay in a campground with notorious low voltage and run mime of GAS all the time. I have to pay for electric and have done the math and gas is cheaper.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #17

Our hot water heater only runs when we need it (on electric). Ours heats up in maybe 15-20 minutes. We just turn ours on in the evening to wash dishes and take a shower. We always have time to wait to do the dishes.

As far as propane is concerned we go through maybe 1/2-3/4 tank a year camping in all weather. Normally about 10 trips average. That is with the fridge on propane while driving (4-8 hours a trip), some cooking and some furnace use. We do sleep with an electric blanket so furnace doesn't run as much overnight.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 92154 View Post
Being in Southern California, the furnace probably will be the last thing I use until we get out of Cali. I noticed the microwave is is 1st breaker that goes. When I reset , thats when I found out the GFI is on the breaker, not the outlet. On the water heater , do you guys have both the electric and propane switches on, or do you decide what you want to use and turn that specific switch on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
You do not need both on at the same time but some people do. They say it is faster recovery. I don't know way then are in a hurry. I stay in a campground with notorious low voltage and run mime of GAS all the time. I have to pay for electric and have done the math and gas is cheaper.
I will sometimes run both, but only if I'm antsy to get showered and in bed. Or sometimes it gets to bed time and I forgot to turn on the heater, so I'll run both to get the water heated up faster. My son and wife both shower before I do, so I'm usually left with the "short end" of that stick. Most of the time I don't though because DW's post-shower routine allows me time to sit in the quiet and enjoy a beverage for a bit (I get SO FEW quiet moments these days, so I savor each and every one). If I drag that out a little, there's plenty of hot water. I believe the tank is supposed to have an 18 minute recovery time on gas AND electric?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #19

Thanks guys ,that helps a lot. Hanging out in Mission Bay ,San Diego now and testing the propane for the fridge now. Will take your advice and use water heater later when kids get out of the water and crash out
Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I will sometimes run both, but only if I'm antsy to get showered and in bed. I believe the tank is supposed to have an 18 minute recovery time on gas AND electric?
Here's the label off of mine, the standard 6 gallon. The recovery time is listed for each, electric or gas, or both. On both, it recovers pretty quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
WH label.jpg