Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Water Heater Switch

I have a 1999 Jayco Eagle M-283G Class C motorhome I purchased last November. When I drained all the water for winter I found that the water heater electric element was working all the time with the shore power plugged in. I only know of the switch that turns on the gas heater located in the stove hood. I could not find a switch for the electric element control so I turned off the element at the main breaker panel. Is there a low voltage switch located somewhere that controls a relay to the element or is the element hardwired to the breaker. Any help would be appreciated from someone with a similar model.

Great forum for information, thanks.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

In all probability for that year the switch is on the back of the water heater, inside the coach. It is a 110 v switch.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

Water heater switch

Another place to check it is OUTSIDE the motorhome. Open the outside panel for the water heater and look for a "rocker" switch located near the igniter. It may be a little hard to find but may well be in that location. My last fifth wheel had the electric switch located in that position. Let us know what you find.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #4

When you dewinterize you may need to replace that heater element. If it were drained and the electric was on, it is toast now. Hope you find the switch before you go any farther or at least be very careful. Make sure the heater is full of water before it is turned on. Good Luck.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I checked by the igniter and there is no switch there. I can barely see into the cabinet where the 110 Volt connection is located. I only see where the AC wire comes in but no 12 volt wires from an awkward point of view. I will have to disassemble the rear of the cabinet to get straight at the 110 connection.

I don't think I lost the 110 heating element because when I started the water purge was when I saw that the water was hot. I killed the breaker before proceeding.

When I can open the relay for the heating element I will look for the 12 volt source that sets the 110 contacts for the heating element. I may be able to trace it back to a switch.

Thanks again for the responses.

Jeff and Deidra
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

If you do not have a switch that says, water heater elec or water heater 110, I doubt it has a 12 volt control circuit. As I stated earlier all the units we had in the mid/late 90's had a seperate 110 switch on the back of the water heater on top of the juction box, it's not real big. If nothing else there will be a seperate circuit breaker for the water heater, just turn it off.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #7

The switch for the electric element in our '98 Eagle with an Atwood HW heater is on the unit itself. I have to open a cabinet and get down on my hands and knees to turn it on/off. Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Thanks dmax_83,

I did indeed find the switch on the cabinet side of the water heater. Yes, on hands and knees to reach the switch.

Jeff and Deidra
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

My whitehawk TT has gas or electric water heater. both are controlled by a rocker switch [on/off]. When I drain for the winter, I also pull the ceramic plug on the inside of the heater unit that the service dealer told me controls the igniter. That way the unit won't turn on regardless of the rockers. Keeps someone [or me] from hitting the wrong switch in the control panel and turning on the heater in error. In the spring, I refill the unit and replace the ceramic plug onto the controls.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdee View Post
Thanks dmax_83,

I did indeed find the switch on the cabinet side of the water heater. Yes, on hands and knees to reach the switch.
Glad I could help