Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Water leak on 35GS at edge of bed.

Just started during heavy rain and wind. Water is getting on carpet at headboard end of bed. The water is at the lower edge of carpet. Top of carpet is dry. It's like it's coming through the floor of the slideouts. I've been up on it and all seals look good. It only leaks when slide is out. There is a slide topper. Anyone had a problem like this. I know leaks are a pain but have always been able to figure them out.
Thanks in advance.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #2

Maybe a longshot, but did you check the "frame" around the outside of the slide? Common leak point.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #3

Thought so but will check closer . Thanks
Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #4

Not familiar with that model but I will tell you that when my wife and I went over every seam, every nook and cranny on our 31FK, it was appalling how poor the fitting was.

Some holes you could toss a raccoon thru.

I didn't have Eternabond but instead had several roles of waterproofing tape from HD. We used all of them.

It's going to be an annual ritual.
Recaulking and resealing.

I'll have Eternabond tape at the ready next time.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #5

Thanks, I think I may have found this leak, we'll see next rain. But I know you have to stay after these things. Again thanks.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
Thanks, I think I may have found this leak, we'll see next rain. But I know you have to stay after these things. Again thanks.
Be sure and come back and update when you determine exactly where it was, and let us know what you did to fix it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Will do if I get it. There's an old Post from 2018 about Seneca slide out trouble that I think is my problem. Water coming between black cover and floor. Now to figure how to stop it.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
Will do if I get it. There's an old Post from 2018 about Seneca slide out trouble that I think is my problem. Water coming between black cover and floor. Now to figure how to stop it.
That's exactly what I was talking about.

You'll find that the leak in that situation (assuming we're talking about the same thing) originated from the "frame" around the outside of the slide.

There is a bead of OSI that goes between that frame (just like a picture frame) and the outside wall of the slide. MANY people have found their slideout leaks originated from that seal being breached. And MANY wouldn't have known to even look there, or how small a breach it takes to cause a problem. It doesn't take much.

The water drips down the slide wall, goes behind that frame, then gets trapped in the bottom of the slide.

The reason I said it's a long shot is that you mentioned it only happens when the slide is out. With the leak I'm talking about it doesn't matter whether the slide is in or out, it leaks either way.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #9

I resealed what I think is the correct area. My problem only started when we were in Florida Christmas. The slide was out and we had a heavy rain and wind. Once I got it dry which was not easy it has been parked with the slide in. Last week I had the slide out and we had a heavy rain. Checked and it had leaked again. So that's why I think the slide is out when it leaks but may be leaking all the time. The caulking I'm talking about is on the side of the window frame that faces towards the coach. Thanks for the help.