Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Water leaks

I have a 1999 jayco eagle 26’ class c. Just started noticing a water leak in the back by the bed. Back window area down in between mattress and wall will get moist and on our last trip the carpet was wet by the emergency window. Curious if anyone has had this issue and what their remedy was. Thx!
Mschissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #2

Is there a bedroom slide?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

No slides
Old 06-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

What is the overall condition of the roof and the seals around the rear marker lights near the roof?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #5

If your roof is ok then the suspect is the window. First try looking at each inch of the seal for the tiniest gap. Use your fingernail and pick gently at the seal to make sure it is attached to the wall and the frame. Even the smallest lack of a perfect seal can leak. As you drive the simple motion can open the seal or form a vacuum than will suck in water.

Most agree that Dicor is the product to reseal the window, avoid silicone products.

A second method is to go around the window with a strong flashlight and have someone on the other side to look for light coming through indicating a gap.

Jayco missed a quarter inch long patch on one corner of my front window. I ended up checking every other window and door. Only bad place I found.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Overall condition of roof seems decent. It is the rubberized epoxy type. Most of the roof looked solid but I notice some cracks in it where it meets the walls on the top back corners. I also checked the seals on the top back lights and window seals. Lights looked decent but the seal above the emergency window was looking a little inadequate. I picked up some new sealant from camping world. They recommended silicon for the screws on the windows and a type of epoxy for the roof and window seals. I will update. May be hard to recreate the rain/wind we had while camping at the coast! Thx for all of the help!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #7

I discovered a leak along the back wall of our 2018 21QB under the large back window. I thought I would inspect the seal and noticed a slight gap between the seal and the siding at on upper corner. The seal appears to be made from a foamy rubber type material, not the old traditional tape caulk. Next I checked the frame for tightness and discovered a few of the inside screws were stripped out of the outside frame due to over tightening at the factory. They probably use power screwdrivers. I am going to let the dealer deal with this. They will probably use larger screws.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

If you have some blue painters tape cover the possible leak area, I also like to put some by the area that needs work (stripped screws) so the tech can not possibly miss it while working. The painters tape will keep some rain out for a while and should not harm the paint job.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

You can also have a leak test done by and RV shop or dealer to help pinpoint the leaky area.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

I'm checking the water heater seal job, it doesn't look too professional and has a couple loose screws that have stripped out. It's raining now, so what better time to check things. I may add some sealant and tighten it to the wall better. Sloppy construction seems to be the norm.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

I would do as much as I can my self, RV shops are dangerous. Not to speak of they want to keep your rig sometimes months.Ck Utube for some fixes! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
RV Techs.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote