Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Water levels

I would like to ask if anyone can tell me how to correct the accuracy of the fresh, grey, and black water tank levels. I'm sure there are some sensors in the tanks but I am not even sure how to get to the tanks.It appears like the grey & black tanks are in the rear & it looks like the fresh water is in the floor somehow.
Are there any thoughts on my 05, 26 SS Greyhawk.
Hope you are all enjoying the summer, we have until all the smoke came from the forest fires. It is clearing up now but living in eastern Oregon I better stay hope & watch my house from the Eclipse folks, there are supposed to be about 50,000 of them in our town of 10,000 can't imagine, we'll see.
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

The black tank(s) are usually the worst with this because of the paper and 'gunk' that ends up on the walls of the tank. Best thing for us is to use the black tank flush pretty much every time we dump, when we can. We also have a 'toilet wand' that we can put down the toilet and run water through, it does a good job of cleaning the tank (and the sensor in it) Our black tank is actually our most accurate as a result of this.

Your fresh water tank is a much bigger issue to resolve because it is already 'clean' presumably. Other than replacing the sensors with more expensive units, I don't really know what to suggest there.

At the end of our trips, we try to load as much fresh water as reasonable into both our black and grey tanks. We usually have a fair amount of extra fresh water on board, and instead of pouring it on the ground, we pump it into our tanks to dillute what is in there as much as possible before dumping. This has helped us I think, but these tank level 'gauges' pretty much suck unless you do something drastic and replace them completely.

I think a lot of us have just learned to deal with the inaccuracy of them and have learned how many days we can go on X amount of gallons as a primary tool
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #3

Only way I know to correct them is to install an aftermarket monitoring system like SeeLevel (sp?). The stock ones are notoriously bad, I find mine can't even be used to ballpark.
jcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Thanks for your answers, they are what I expected. I do use the flush on the black and keep some water in each of the others like you said.It's just that we spend a lot of time in other places than RV parks but no big deal. If I were the designer I would figure out a way to use sight tubes, shouldn't be that hard.
Thanks again.
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

This won't help with the other tanks, however, I have been using a flow-meter with my fresh water. I believe it was around 12 bucks on amazon and screws in-line with your water connection. I then know exactly how many gallons I put in the tank and have a general idea of what 1/3, 2/3 full are. I have another one I use on the black flush system. Once I've dumped, rinsed and shut the valve, I'll generally put 4 or 5 gallons of water in the holding tank along with my treatment to slosh around in there. This seems to help the next time we dump as the solids are broken down much more thoroughly.