Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Unhappy Water on underside of mattress

We have a 2017 Greyhawk 29me. The queen size bed is in rear slide out. Ours has somehow developed a leak that only affects underside of mattress. We see no sign of water anywhere else. Top and sides of mattress are bone dry.
There is a small hole in board that mattress sets on for a wire run, but, it feels dry and wire loom is dry. The area where the water sets is top 1/3 more towards center left of mattress and support board. We have had leak tested 2 times and nothing shows up. Let it set at campground for 1 or 2 days of rain and we raise mattress to sop up water. HELP???
harleydawg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #2

Is it possible to remove the mattress when it is going to rain. It may make it so it is easier to see any water tracks from the source.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks for suggestion-we are doing that right now
harleydawg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #4

I found my leaks on the slide outs on the outside facia. the lower ones had no or barley any sealant and water found its way in on every major rain storms. Attached is picture I hope its orientation wont flip . Ted
Attached Thumbnails
67DD80A8-296C-43BF-9181-2F2DD747B959_1_201_a.jpg  
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

Is there a window near your bed? We have a Greyhawk 31FS. I would wake up in the middle of the night last year to a soaked mattress. Top and bottom, but most often the bottom, and only on my side of the bed! It was killing me for weeks -- I never saw water marks, the roof was clean, the bed sits over the garage, so no way it was coming up...

One torrential downpour evening I woke to swimming in bed. I had had enough! When I peeled back the mattress, there is was the big puddle and water collecting. Upon closer inspection, I could see a small trickle running down the wall, right under the window. Looking closer, there was water inside the window frame ... but the window was closed tightly ... Hmmm.

Turns out, that the exterior seal around the window frame, along the top right (when looking the window from the outside) had worn or disintegrated away. I had the DW get inside, and I poured water right on that spot and BOOM found it!! The water was traveling on the inside of the window frame until it found a weep hole (a screw holding the frame in place), and then slowly ran down the wall while we slept or were away (sneaky water!).

The fix: straight away to Lowe's for some Flex Seal in a can. Filled the gap, gave it a few hours to cure. Hit it with the water test again. No problems since.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
I found my leaks on the slide outs on the outside facia. the lower ones had no or barley any sealant and water found its way in on every major rain storms. Attached is picture I hope its orientation wont flip . Ted
Are you the original owner? Those are areas that should be checked and resealed annually as needed.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

leak under mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydawg57 View Post
We have a 2017 Greyhawk 29me. The queen size bed is in rear slide out. Ours has somehow developed a leak that only affects underside of mattress. We see no sign of water anywhere else. Top and sides of mattress are bone dry.
There is a small hole in board that mattress sets on for a wire run, but, it feels dry and wire loom is dry. The area where the water sets is top 1/3 more towards center left of mattress and support board. We have had leak tested 2 times and nothing shows up. Let it set at campground for 1 or 2 days of rain and we raise mattress to sop up water. HELP???
Just curious, is there a big window over your mattress??? We purchased a 2021 White Hawk that had a window leaking down and it went to the underside of the mattress too. So sorry for your trouble. Our White Hawk could not be repaired properly and they bought it back from us and ordered a new one in its place. Going camping for the first time in a DRY camper!
Margi Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydawg57 View Post
I think your problem is condensation and not a leak. You might want to consider looking at condensation control. That involves an open window and possibly a dehumidifier.

Some of the issues mention by others are condensation issues and not leaks.

Do an internet search and consult your users manual. Condensation is mentioned in most users manuals as a major issue.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #9

If it mainly on the section under the mattress that is the part of slide that extends out? If it is, then I agree with CAG that it is most likely from condensation. You have the extended section of the slide with the cool outside air on the bottom and the mattress on the top with indoor heat. It is also very common on travel trailers where pass-thru storage runs under the bed. I have this product installed in our Seneca to prevent this as it’s lets the area under the mattress breath.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote