Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #1

Water pump

the water pump on this Jayco Greyhawk started running all the time. We are currently using city water. The pump seems to be near the master bed area but haven't found it yet.
The only way to shut off is with the main power switch, turn it back on a pump starts up again.
I tried setting the switches for normal use for the fresh water tank and there was no water coming out.

Any ideas on where this pump would be other troubleshooting ideas?
lefty1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

If you're on city water, the water settings should be set to City Fixtures (2 and 6) and the water pump should be turned off. You don't need the water pump if you're on city water since the water is already pressured. If the pump is turned off and it's still running, I have no idea.
Hilltopper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #3

I have 2 water pump switches,one in the main control panel an the other in the bathroom. Both switches are lighted so you can tell when on. The pump switch in main panel is not lit when off, however the one in the bathroom is always lit,on or off. Not sure if that indicates a switch issue.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

I did have the switches set for 2& 6 city water and had running water but pump running with switches off. Then I changed them to 1&5 normal for using fresh water tank which at that point there was no water coming out.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
RPR

Switch should not be lite when off. If possible disconnect the switch. What year and model do you have.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty1121 View Post
I have 2 water pump switches,one in the main control panel an the other in the bathroom. Both switches are lighted so you can tell when on. The pump switch in main panel is not lit when off, however the one in the bathroom is always lit,on or off. Not sure if that indicates a switch issue.
Don't you have a switch in the utility bay for the outside shower?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #7

What year and model Greyhawk? Where the pump is will depend on the year and model (and apparently the mood of the installer that day...)

Also, on our panel positions 1 and 5 don't do anything. It would be 3 and 5 for us to pump water out of the fresh water tank.

When you're on City Water, keep the pump off. No need.

There have been a few times when our pump ran non-stop. Turning the valves, opening and closing faucets inside, opening and closing low-point drains seemed to make it stop. Also making sure the check-valve screen is pointing outward.

I'd debug by putting 5-10 gallons of water into the fresh water tank, flipping the valves to Normal and then seeing if you can get the pump to behave.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Thanks, the shower was the problem, although I can't figure out how it got turned on. The only time I have been in heat compartment was when we did a walk through when deciding to buy the rv. Anyway it is OK now. Iam alittle puzzled. By the water pump switch in bathroom. I took it off the wall and found 3 contacts, center probably the ground. Had 12v from center ire to top wire,nothing from center to bottom wire. Te a tin the switch shoes continuity from center top top contact, nothing from center ter ot bottom contact. No idea what the bottom wire is for.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
By the water pump switch in bathroom. I took it off the wall and found 3 contacts, center probably the ground. Had 12v from center ire to top wire,nothing from center to bottom wire. Te a tin the switch shoes continuity from center top top contact, nothing from center ter ot bottom contact. No idea what the bottom wire is for.
Here's a recent thread that shows how the switches are wired: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-85027.html

If you tell us what year and model of rig you have, somebody can probably tell you where to find the water pump. On my 2020 29MV, it's under the rear bed on the backside of the water utility switches. Have to remove a panel under the bed to find it.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #10

Thanks, I will check out the diagram for future reference. We have a 2013 Jayco Grehawk 31fs.

We have found both the water pump and the problem. The problem turned out to be the outside shower switch. No one has been in there so how it got turned on is anyone's guess.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, I will check out the diagram for future reference. We have a 2013 Jayco Grehawk 31fs.

We have found both the water pump and the problem. The problem turned out to be the outside shower switch. No one has been in there so how it got turned on is anyone's guess.
If your shower head and hose are coiled up in there like on mine, you could have hit a bump and the head or hose could have hit the switch and activated it.

Or you have a ghost...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #12

It is and I have already ordered an outside shower faucet with a quick disconnect. Wont be storing the hose and shower head in there any longer.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
It is and I have already ordered an outside shower faucet with a quick disconnect. Wont be storing the hose and shower head in there any longer.

That's on my (extremely lengthy) list as well. Hate that shower head/hose setup...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #14

We have a shower tent and the wife ordered a stand that will hold the shower head up. She keeps watching these RV videos and like you my to do list keeps getting longer.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #15
Site Team

nambarc strikes again?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
nambarc strikes again?
LOL!! Ya gotta watch out for that guy! He's a trickster for sure!

And all this time I've been blaming my 6YO son!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #17

On our 2018 Greyhawk 29mv, the pump is under the bed, too. Easiest if mattress is elsewhere. Stand at the foot of the bed, lift the hinged portion at the foot of the bed to vertical, and secure to cabinet handles w bungee cord, etc.

Access panel is on the right and about where your waist is. Four screws and all of your water stuff is there. How do I know? Lost (2) water pumps in six weeks on our Ohio to Alaska trip in 2019.

FWIW, with the lid flipped up as described, all the electrical stuff is under the panel at the foot of the bed.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #18

We had same problem
In our 2015 greyhawk our light in bathroom
Is always on for water pump and when we hooked up to city water it ran constantly we disconnect power to it under the bed, since we never plan on dry camping
Taykaismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #19

Clean the valve head

Quote:
the water pump on this Jayco Greyhawk started running all the time...
These pumps are made by several companies, Jabsco and Surewood are the most common. I don't know which pump you have but they are all similar. The pump pressure switch on these pumps occasionally fail or you can have a clogged valve assembly. This can be caused by debris getting into the pump assembly and clogging things up. The pumps aren't all that expensive so I've usually just replaced the thing when this happens. Once you locate your pump, you can disconnect it and either replace or clean the assembly. This is easy to find, its where the wires connect to the pump assembly. You open the valve assembly, maybe 8 or so screws. Some of these are hard to open. Maybe they use the red thread-lock during assembly. Assuming that you can open the thing, look for debris. The switch typically has a round plastic pressure plate about the size of a dime. A bit of dirt in there can cause it to jam. Give it a push and see if you can free any gunk. Debris can also get into the valve assembly. There are about eight little rubber suction cups mounted in the valve assembly. A bit of debris can get in the seal and prevent it from seating. The valve assembly can be removed and cleaned under a faucet, lifting each valve with a small screwdriver to get water flowing in there to clean out debris.
Be sure to reconnect the wires and hoses in the same order you found them when reinstalling.
There is an optional strainer that attaches to the tank supply fitting to keep debris out of the pump but the manufacturers don't typically install them. If you replace the pump, spend the extra money for the filter. It screws right on the supply side fitting.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #20

cleaning pump and easier way

Oh, I thought of an easier way to clean these out but I'm not sure this works since I've never done it this way. There is a winterize hose on the pump for running anti-freeze through the water system. You put the hose in a bucket of potable anti-freeze and turn a couple of valves to draw from the bucket during winterization. If you put a garden-hose fitting on the end of this hose and instead run pressure water through the pump it should clean out the valves. Open your faucets first and turn off your pump. Hook up your garden hose and turn on the water. Let the water run for a few seconds and then put the valves back the way they were. If it's debris causing your problem, this should clean it out.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote