Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Water Pump Access

I have a 2019 Melbourne 24L. The water pump is not working and I need to replace it. It is behind the water control panel. How do I access it?
Denmac1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

2020 Redhawk 24B

Not sure how similar our rigs are, but maybe close enough?

Water pump and big dumb filter is located behind rear right top drawer. Yep, the one past the bed in the far back. Have to put slide out to access it. Pull the drawer out. Fiddle with the locks on the slide sliders for the drawer. Easier to get a second set of hands to get the drawer out as you need to partially push each drawer slider in at the same time as you remove the drawer once lock disengages on each drawer slide. It's nice, but not required to have a second set of hands to steady the drawer. Once, you get it, it's easy to understand, hard to explain in words.

Get a good headlamp/flashlight and the pump and huge dumb filter is just below. inside that cabinet - at least on my rig. I removed my big dumb filter and replumbed.

Good luck.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazear View Post
2020 Redhawk 24B

Not sure how similar our rigs are, but maybe close enough?

Water pump and big dumb filter is located behind rear right top drawer. Yep, the one past the bed in the far back. Have to put slide out to access it. Pull the drawer out. Fiddle with the locks on the slide sliders for the drawer. Easier to get a second set of hands to get the drawer out as you need to partially push each drawer slider in at the same time as you remove the drawer once lock disengages on each drawer slide. It's nice, but not required to have a second set of hands to steady the drawer. Once, you get it, it's easy to understand, hard to explain in words.

Get a good headlamp/flashlight and the pump and huge dumb filter is just below. inside that cabinet - at least on my rig. I removed my big dumb filter and replumbed.

Good luck.
I am about to remove and replumb my filter before winterizing. I don't have any experience working with PEX. Did you cut and use shark bite connectors or the crimping system? Did you cut the ring from the old connectors and reuse the fittings or just leave them alone and use new fittings farther down the pipe? I really don't want to buy crimping tools that I will never use again but will if necessary.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I am about to remove and replumb my filter before winterizing. I don't have any experience working with PEX. Did you cut and use shark bite connectors or the crimping system? Did you cut the ring from the old connectors and reuse the fittings or just leave them alone and use new fittings farther down the pipe? I really don't want to buy crimping tools that I will never use again but will if necessary.
I'm doing a project now (building a Tiny House), where I've used both, the Shark Bite and the crimp connectors. I'd suggest using the Shark Bite in there, as it would be really tough to get in there with the crimping tool.

Just make sure to measure correctly, the tubing goes in like an inch in Shark Bite fittings. I would leave the old fittings in and just use two new connectors and a short piece of tubing.

I'm also doing that same thing, removing the filter cannister after our next trip in two weeks.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I really don't want to buy crimping tools that I will never use again but will if necessary.
If you use the same type of crimp rings that Jayco uses. You can get the parts and tool from Home Depot fairly cheap.

Here is the tool I used. I have now used it to install an irrigation system at home. For the price of the tool and rings, you can only buy to Sharkbite fittings.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-P...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I'm doing a project now (building a Tiny House), where I've used both, the Shark Bite and the crimp connectors. I'd suggest using the Shark Bite in there, as it would be really tough to get in there with the crimping tool.

Just make sure to measure correctly, the tubing goes in like an inch in Shark Bite fittings. I would leave the old fittings in and just use two new connectors and a short piece of tubing.

I'm also doing that same thing, removing the filter cannister after our next trip in two weeks.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I noticed that they offer a 12" braided pipe repair hose with shark bite ends for about the same price as pex and 2 coupler fittings....but they were out of them. My rig isn't here so I can't measure to see if a foot is the right length to remove the filter head or not but is something to consider or maybe even keep on hand.

Also, amazon has all couplers and cutters for half the price of Lowes.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #7

You can use Sharkbite or crimp fittings with a tool.

Crimp Fittings: I was able to get the crimping tool in there without much issue once the top drawer was pulled out. A little tight but it worked okay setting the fittings/pipe in the tool carefully before bearing down. Home Depot has a good return policy as well, so maybe a temporary buy might let you to be able to crimp a couple fittings and then return it? That's all you really need. Depends on how you feel about such things.... I bought a tool long ago and have used it on my house or friends' places many times since. Makes jobs easy and quick.

Sharkbite Fittings: also work really well, they go on easy - just push it together really well - all the way home on each end, but the fittings are a bit pricey per piece. They also sell small half round orange rings to remove the fittings later without damage, very cheap, if needed. As far as the length of PEX tubing goes, for mine I only needed about a foot or so - cheap stuff. Most everything in RV's is 1/2" pipe.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #8

I know this thread is nearly a year old, but this was my solution to the water filter situation on my 22J.

Being forewarned, I was forearmed. Before I took delivery of my used 2018 22J, I requested the offending water filter be removed. I had a "filterectomy" done.

Probably should have held out for a re-location of the water pump also.

I will say, Winnebago, in their similar floor plan, 22M, did put the water pump in a great location. Winnebago used the lower section of the front facing pantry to locate the water pump. Wish Jayco designers had been just as smart.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I know this thread is nearly a year old, but this was my solution to the water filter situation on my 22J.

Being forewarned, I was forearmed. Before I took delivery of my used 2018 22J, I requested the offending water filter be removed. I had a "filterectomy" done.
I think you'll be happy with this choice. Just grab an exterior filter [and pressure reducer, if you choose] and you'll be like everyone else in the campground with one hooked to their hose. It's worked very well for me. Just got back last night from a week plus on the OR. coast. Never an issue using this method.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

Probably should have held out for a re-location of the water pump also.

I will say, Winnebago, in their similar floor plan, 22M, did put the water pump in a great location. Winnebago used the lower section of the front facing pantry to locate the water pump. Wish Jayco designers had been just as smart.
I agree with the water pump location. Relocating it is on the project list. I took out my filter assembly too, and the pump is on the bottom of that cabinet. Virtually impossible to get to the clear screen. I was thinking on relocating it to the ceiling of the big storage compartment in the rear.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote