Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Water pump not pumping

Hi All. New here and new owner of a 2022 RedHawk 24B

I have been around motorhomes all my life, but first time owning one. It is only 3 weeks old.

I am not able to get the water pump to pump water. I have the settings on "Normal" with a full tank of water. I WAS able to get it to pump when I first got it, but now, nothing although I can hear the pump. I have tried several things with the complimentary tech line including using the city water pressure to try to help with the prime.

Any ideas? Thanks!
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #2

May be air bound in the pump head. Try opening a cold water faucet while running the pump. It may help move the air to allow the pump head to prime. This is what I have to do at times. Especially when winterizing. Trying to use city water through the pump is useless, since the systems are separate by a check valve at the pump outlet. City water can not back flow into the pump.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #3

All the valves are in the correct position?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #4

This happened to me this morning. And it happens from time to time. I can usually get the pump to prime by twisting the valves back and forth - slowly. And opening a faucet or three.

This morning nothing was working so I poked the check valve with my finger. That seemed to work.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #5

Thanks all for the advise, but so far no go...

I have tried lots of things.
I opened the cold water while the pump was on.
I have tried all the different valve positions (but "Normal" is what it should be)

Where is the check valve?
Old 10-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

I found the check valve and it doesn't seem to be stuck.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

... just went through the same issue with 2022 Greyhawk. It was a suction leak.

In the back of the utility center , on the extreme right as you face it, there is a line that has the supply connection to the pump. Below that on the same line there was a short length of PEX, a drain valve, and then a length of PVC going through the compartment floor. Although the connections on the short piece of PVC looked good, they were not tightened enough to prevent it from pulling air into the line. New connections solved the problem. Your utility center plumbing should be the same or close. (We have a horizontal utility center.)

There are only a few connections that could be allowing air into the suction side and they are all visible after removing the front panel. That said, it's under warranty and you might not choose to deal with it yourself.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge View Post
I found the check valve and it doesn't seem to be stuck.
Mine neither - but as the pump was pumping, I poked it a couple of times. That seemed to get things working for me. Like I said, when it happens, I usually try everything I can think of.

If you do have a leak, bear in mind it could be *anywhere*. Highly unlikely, but any place the pipes have a joint, there could be an air leak. The little filter in front of our pump worked its way loose and was leaking.

Water pumps do fail too. Also very uncommon, but it happens. If the pump is accessible, it's not too hard to pull it out and test it.

But before getting drastic, I agree with the tech. Charge the whole motorhome with city water. Make sure all of the lines are full, all of the faucets yield water when open. Then close everything up. And try the waterpump again.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
... just went through the same issue with 2022 Greyhawk. It was a suction leak.

In the back of the utility center , on the extreme right as you face it, there is a line that has the supply connection to the pump. Below that on the same line there was a short length of PEX, a drain valve, and then a length of PVC going through the compartment floor. Although the connections on the short piece of PVC looked good, they were not tightened enough to prevent it from pulling air into the line. New connections solved the problem. Your utility center plumbing should be the same or close. (We have a horizontal utility center.)

There are only a few connections that could be allowing air into the suction side and they are all visible after removing the front panel. That said, it's under warranty and you might not choose to deal with it yourself.
I am fairly good with cars, etc., so I can take a look. However, I am not good with the nomenclatures of a motorhome. What is the "utility center"?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #10

TheOtherDodge, it's the compartment where you connect your fresh water hose. Probably near the back on the driver side. At my request, Jayco sent me a plumbing schematic. That utility center plumbing of valves and hoses takes some time to digest but it's pretty straight forward to trace.

Also, sorry, this old brain switched from PEX to PVC in the middle of the post - that line is all PEX. You could make the repair with braided hose and hose clamps if you don't have a PEX tool. But no hose clamps on PEX; it won't work.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #11

I may have a copy of that schematic too. Let me see...

No.
Sorry. I recall seeing it here, but I didn't save it off.

In the interest of overcomplicating things, seems like if you could pull off a 'pressure hold' test, you'd know whether there was a leak or not.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #12

I had the same issue on day 3 of ownership of a 2022 Redhawk 26M. We attempted to get the pump to prime but it would not. Took it to the dealer and they primed it by putting a water hose on the city outlet and putting a low pressure feed of water with the valves set to "Sanitize/Winterize" which normally draws fluids from the city feed into the pump and through the water lines. Putting the hose on this provides an "assist". I haven't had any issues since.
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitLion View Post
I had the same issue on day 3 of ownership of a 2022 Redhawk 26M. We attempted to get the pump to prime but it would not. Took it to the dealer and they primed it by putting a water hose on the city outlet and putting a low pressure feed of water with the valves set to "Sanitize/Winterize" which normally draws fluids from the city feed into the pump and through the water lines. Putting the hose on this provides an "assist". I haven't had any issues since.
Thanks I will try that. The odd thing is that it worked for me before...just stopped all of the sudden the next time I tried it.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #14

Most of these RVs have a swashplate pump. There are very rubber valves with inside the pump case that can be easily clogged if you get debris in there. Grit from a wellwater source can be enough. If you get debris in there, the pumps become difficult to prime. Most pump manufacturers sell a small filter assembly that screws in to the pump inlet to keep debris out. The manufacturers don't bother to spend the money on the filter.

If you find that your pump is having trouble priming, you might try cleaning out the pump housing. It's pretty easy to do once you pull the pump out for service. You just need a screwdriver. Watch how you take it apart. Clean out any debris you find, and put it back together.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitLion View Post
Hi NitLion, I don't understand exactly what the dealer did from your post. Did they connect the supply hose like you would for the other settings and then use settings 2 & 4? Thank you.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge View Post
Hi All. New here and new owner of a 2022 RedHawk 24B

I have been around motorhomes all my life, but first time owning one. It is only 3 weeks old.

I am not able to get the water pump to pump water. I have the settings on "Normal" with a full tank of water. I WAS able to get it to pump when I first got it, but now, nothing although I can hear the pump. I have tried several things with the complimentary tech line including using the city water pressure to try to help with the prime.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Other than what others suggested by priming and check for a blockage that could be intermittent. That makes sense to me since manufacturing can get pretty dusty and dirty, I can see them not taking the time to have clean plumbing and parts. I would hook up to city water and try and flush out the system, check the screen on the pump filter and clean out the pump. As long as you hear the pump running you know it’s getting a signal to turn on.

Also in my 2019 Redhawk 25R, I’ve added an accumulator tank to my water pump. It makes it run smooth and steady, never surges anymore, I’m very happy with that mod. And as an added bonus, if you forget to turn on the pump and go to wash your hands or flush the bowl, you’ll get a decent amount of water out of the Accumulation to rinse your hands or flush a bit.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #17

New pumps do go bad. I thought I had a leak in the system as the pump would come on intermettently when no fawcetts were open but after finding no leaks, I disconnected the outlet line from the pump and capped the outlet side of the pump to see if it held pressure. When I turned the pump back on it ran, stopped, ran, stopped, etc. The pump was bypassing internally and wouldn't maintain pressure. This was on a brand new 2021 Greyhawk. The dealer sent me a new pump and I switched it out myself and just returned the old pump to them for the warranty claim. They would have done the job for me but they are a distance away and we were getting ready to leave on a trip so this was my preference. No problems since.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #18

Hey, johnynorthland. On accumulator tank, is it piped in they as in a house with a well, between the pump and everything else? Also, is it an rv specific tank? A brand and part number would be great. Thanks in advance.

As an aside, on a 2019 trip in our 2018 Greyhawk we lost (2) two water pumps, one in British Columbia and the second a month later in Alaska. Fortunately, you can find them all over the place at $125 a pop.

Warranty Fun Fact! If you call Jayco Corporate Customer Service and document your issues as they occur, it makes it easier to get square with the dealer later, even if out of warranty when you get home as we were (based on miles, not time).
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzellers5 View Post
Hey, johnynorthland. On accumulator tank, is it piped in they as in a house with a well, between the pump and everything else? Also, is it an rv specific tank? A brand and part number would be great. Thanks in advance.

As an aside, on a 2019 trip in our 2018 Greyhawk we lost (2) two water pumps, one in British Columbia and the second a month later in Alaska. Fortunately, you can find them all over the place at $125 a pop.

Warranty Fun Fact! If you call Jayco Corporate Customer Service and document your issues as they occur, it makes it easier to get square with the dealer later, even if out of warranty when you get home as we were (based on miles, not time).

Goes right in-line with the pump, couldn’t be easier if you buy the screw on pump silencing kit I’m listing below with it.

SEAFLO Accumulator Tank Water... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUYL8F8...p_mob_ap_share

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUYL8F8...p_mob_ap_share

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WN5F96...p_mob_ap_share

SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WN5F96...p_mob_ap_share
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #20

Are all the valves under your sinks inside open? I changed my indoor water filter under my bathroom sink and closed the valves, put the new filter in, but forgot to open the valves. Tried the water, heard the pump but no water! Then I remembered...DUH ;{
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote