Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Water pump running continuously

Having a problem (since the day I purchased my Grayhawk29mv of the water pump continuously running even when connected to the RV park water line. The pump will not shut off and keeps running 24/7. I've taken it in and dealer says they can't find nothing wrong. The red light in the bathroom stays on 24/7.

Any fix that will work ?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:27 AM   #2

On my pump there are two switches to activate the pump. One in the main control panel and another in the docking station outside. Have a look and make sure the one in the docking station is off .
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

Our 2018 29MV has a separate switch for the water pump in the compartment with the outside shower controls. I don't know if the two water pump switches work like a 3-way switch in your home, or if they are separate (only one can be on or they could both be on at the same time). Could it be a bad switch or wires shorted out between the pump and switch? Did you try disconnecting the power wire at the water pump?

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Having a problem (since the day I purchased my Grayhawk29mv of the water pump continuously running even when connected to the RV park water line. The pump will not shut off and keeps running 24/7. I've taken it in and dealer says they can't find nothing wrong. The red light in the bathroom stays on 24/7.

Any fix that will work ?
The pump should not be powered at all if connected to a pressurized source. I suspect the others are right about a second switch.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #5

There's three switches for the water pump. Control panel inside the door, in the head, and in the outside shower panel. All three have to be off or the pump will run and the pilot lights on the switches will remain on.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the input guys.

S/
RP

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

The dealer may have found nothing wrong because they know how to put the switches in their correct positions. Also, keep in mind the pump will continue running until the correct back pressure is reached, so if you have a small leak somewhere, like the tiny little drain valves for winterizing aren't fully closed... I recently discovered this. :-)
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

The pump is continually running? Not just an indicator light on? It's actually running continuously?

If not, please clarify.

And, your dealer can't find anything wrong? The fact that the pump is running is wrong.

Did you communicate with the dealer after they looked at it to know that it was running when they looked at it?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
The pump is continually running? Not just an indicator light on? It's actually running continuously?

If not, please clarify.

And, your dealer can't find anything wrong? The fact that the pump is running is wrong.

Did you communicate with the dealer after they looked at it to know that it was running when they looked at it?

This is exactly what I was thinking!
A pump that runs continuously is *wrong*.

The three-switches in the correct position is new to me. My Greyhawk has just two and they operate independently: any one can ENERGIZE the pump and any one can remove power from the pump.

But that doesn't mean the pump itself runs!

Plus what someone else said - if the red light is on, that's nothing to worry about. If the pump runs continuously, something is wrong and the pump thinks there's a spigot open.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post

Any fix that will work ?
You'll need to get to the pump under the bed. There are 2 allen key adjustments on the front of the pump. I believe it is the top allen nut that needs to be turned counter clockwise to adjust the pressure sensor. Go just far enough to get it to shut off. I had the same problem. I fixed after researching the issues with the pump set up.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
The pump should not be powered at all if connected to a pressurized source. I suspect the others are right about a second switch.
2012 31FS with same issue. Water pump runs if fresh water holding tank is less than about 3/4 full. Once it is 3/4 or more full it will pressurize easily then shut off. I have had it checked by dealer and replaced the pump myself. I just keep at least 3/4 tank water and no more issues.

FYI I do not recommend changing the pump for this issue but if you need to for any reason here is some info. My pump is under the back bed. Remove the screws that hold the wooden cover. Kill power to the RV. Take pictures before you service so you know how it is connected and which wires go where. My pump was hard wired so had to cut the connections and use wire nuts for the new install. Have a towel ready you will have small amount of water loss if you change pump. Reconnect and test. Watch for leaks and ensure it works well before you put the wood cover back on.
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild4Williamsburg View Post
2012 31FS with same issue. Water pump runs if fresh water holding tank is less than about 3/4 full. Once it is 3/4 or more full it will pressurize easily then shut off. I have had it checked by dealer and replaced the pump myself. I just keep at least 3/4 tank water and no more issues.
In your case I'd suspect an air leak in your pump input side. Once water level drops below it the pump pulls air instead of heavier water. If true, not certain how to verify or remedy.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote