Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Water Pumps

I have a 2014 Jayco 31FS Motorhome and have a question about water pumps. This is the first motorhome i owned so i am a litte unsure of some things. I have a switch by my slideouts / tank indicators that says water pump. I also have a switch in the bathroom that says water pump. should both of these be off when i am plugged in at the campground and only used when i dry camp? If not, when do i use them? THANKS
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

You only need the pump when you are dry camping to pump water from the fresh water tank and only one switch needs to be on.

When you are hooked up to water in the campsite, the pressure is supplied.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

I keep mine on all the time even when hooked up to the city line. The water pressure is low with it off and the on demand water heater seems to work better with the extra pressure
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

To add to this line of questioning...when you are hooked up to city water, does it go through your fresh water tank or straight through to the tap? Also, as a newbie...when you are hooked up to a campsite for 'sewer' does it go right through the holding tanks to the outlet, or do they need to fill up and then be emptied? So much to learn!! Or is there even a hookup for sewer??

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Shack View Post
To add to this line of questioning...when you are hooked up to city water, does it go through your fresh water tank or straight through to the tap? Also, as a newbie...when you are hooked up to a campsite for 'sewer' does it go right through the holding tanks to the outlet, or do they need to fill up and then be emptied? So much to learn!! Or is there even a hookup for sewer??
When running on city water, it does not go into the tank due to the check valves in the pump itself. It goes straight to the point of use.

When hooked up to sewer on site, you leave the gate valve closed until your black and gray tanks are full and then you dump at once (black first, gray second) just like at the dump station. If you leave the gate valve open the poo will pile up below the toilet and you will have a blockage.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

The switch in the control panel is the one you should turn on for the water pump. The one in the bathroom (I was told) was if you forgot to turn the one on in the cointrol panel and you are doing your business and there is no water to flush, you can turn it on there. Once you turn either one on, they will both light up. Yes keep your drain to the sewer closed until full and then dump Black first and Grey second.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Thanks mcfarmall and Marshmellow.....So glad I asked and didn't just assume. That would have been a nasty surprise!

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote