Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc35 View Post
no it's not squeezing the pipe enough,we have bad experience from a dealer tech,who install the small screw clamp, and the result is we have the base storage compartment all flooded. don't take chance go with the pressurizing clamp to avoid trouble
Are you saying Tech installed screw clamp on PEX, or on REINFORCED VINYL HOSE?

IN MY RESEARCH, first I measured the OD on PEX Crimp FITTINGS (plastic or brass) at (closer to 7/16" (11mm)), where the PEX TUBING ID is much closer to 1/2" (12mm)= loose fit, which made little sense when you consider the type of PEX fitting that you EXPAND w/ PEX Ring and install and it shrinks back to water-tight fit? The REINFORCED VINYL HOSE ID is much closer to the 1/2", which made me wonder if 1/2"-PEX FITTINGS (=7/16OD?**) should be used w/ 3/8" reinforced vinyl and stretched over fitting before being clamps? HOWEVER, I was UNABLE to FIND ANY WRITTEN OR VIDEO documents on using the Reinforced Vinyl HOSE on PEX Fittings, or w/ PEX Clamps. I did find pressure ratings =>150-PSI (so, should be FINE for RV use where needed inside RV? BUT, I strongly suspect BETTER w/ proper smaller screw clamps? My CITY WATER CONNECTION was noted to have this reinforce vinyl hose w/ screw clamps for better than 20 years w/ no leaks? BUT I have seen pics of where (someone) used the SS crimp PEX clamp? (**Wondering if something amiss, I even went to the store and measured OD on 1/2" PEX fittings to verify I didn't have something mismatched) Hmmmmm?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #22

Footnote: NOT sure if I measured the OD on standard 1/2" REINFORCED VINYL HOSE while at the store?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #23

What about Sharkbite fittings for PEX. They work and are easy to install, just cut the line straight and clean push the hose in and done. I know they work my whole house is done in them for the last 15 years and never a leak.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #24

The reinforced Poly sold at the big box stores is quite a bit thicker (larger OD) than pex or the poly Jayco used on our 2019. Our water line to the kitchen slide was getting kinked with the slide movement and blew this fall. I needed to order 5/8" pex clamps (Amazon) to fit the 1/2" poly from Lowes / Home Depot. The 1/2" clamps will fit the 3/8" poly but you'll need to find a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer for the splice. If you're splicing pex to pex, shark bite is the easiest solution.
stauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #25

I have Redhawk and had a problem with leakage at outside shower inlet fitting. Very tight space to try and fix with leak around fitting. I simply cut the pex tubing to remove the fitting and installed a 1/2" sharkbite coupler. Time required just a few minutes. I think at home depot the coupler was little more than $7 which on Amazon you can buy other brands of the sharkbite for less. I think from now on if there is another leak this is exactly what I will do. You can easily remove the sharkbite fitting if needed and certainly will last basically forever.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #26

Sharkbite. Added advantage that they are easy to remove if needed. No other tools needed. No other clamps. Minimal skill.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Sharkbite. Added advantage that they are easy to remove if needed. No other tools needed. No other clamps. Minimal skill.
you do need the little orange C-clip looking tool to get them apart.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #28

and it's in every sharkbite package I had purchased, maybe not now, but they are most likely near by on the shelf and cheap

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
Are you saying Tech installed screw clamp on PEX, or on REINFORCED VINYL HOSE?

IN MY RESEARCH, first I measured the OD on PEX Crimp FITTINGS (plastic or brass) at (closer to 7/16" (11mm)), where the PEX TUBING ID is much closer to 1/2" (12mm)= loose fit, which made little sense when you consider the type of PEX fitting that you EXPAND w/ PEX Ring and install and it shrinks back to water-tight fit? The REINFORCED VINYL HOSE ID is much closer to the 1/2", which made me wonder if 1/2"-PEX FITTINGS (=7/16OD?**) should be used w/ 3/8" reinforced vinyl and stretched over fitting before being clamps? HOWEVER, I was UNABLE to FIND ANY WRITTEN OR VIDEO documents on using the Reinforced Vinyl HOSE on PEX Fittings, or w/ PEX Clamps. I did find pressure ratings =>150-PSI (so, should be FINE for RV use where needed inside RV? BUT, I strongly suspect BETTER w/ proper smaller screw clamps? My CITY WATER CONNECTION was noted to have this reinforce vinyl hose w/ screw clamps for better than 20 years w/ no leaks? BUT I have seen pics of where (someone) used the SS crimp PEX clamp? (**Wondering if something amiss, I even went to the store and measured OD on 1/2" PEX fittings to verify I didn't have something mismatched) Hmmmmm?

PEX A - You use an expander tool. As the tool expands the tube, insert the fitting and it shrinks to the fitting. It is forever trying to get tighter for the rest of it's life. It's more flexible than PEX B, so you can use it instead of adding fittings every time you need to turn. It can bend and make turns easier than B.

PEX B - You need to use a crimp clamp or a pinch clamp. It's less flexible than PEX A. You use more fittings with B due to it's lack of flexibility.

Sharkbite fittings can also be used on PEX. Just make sure you use a gage to make sure you're inserting the tube far enough into the fitting. On push fittings, there's an o-ring inside that makes the seal, so make sure you
deburr the tube.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote