Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Water tank brace?

I was reading that some of the Jayco Seneca owners have installed a water tank brace...… Anyone have more information on that issue?
Peachlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

I found that my fresh tank had shifted and the only thing holding it back was the vent lines and the were kinked from the tank resting on them. I remove and discarded the trim panel and installed an adjustable hanger rod. This keeps it in place and allows for visual observation of the tank level.

For some reason I can not upload photo right now. But if you at the post on water heat recirculation from yesterday there is a photo of a portion of the tank. I can try to upload a photo tomorrow.

I also installed supports under the tank to prevent or reduce deformation that was occurring.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

Thanks, new at finding my way around here. Is that a common Seneca issue?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

Yes very common issue. It also depends on the model and year you are dealing with but basically support is needed between the chassis frame and the compartment floor (plastic tub) that the water tank sets in. Without support the sagging tank and compartment can do other damage like crush wires and propane line like I found on mine. It can vary but on mine I had 3/4” space to get support into and I used 3/4” x 1.5” rectangle tubing slid in from the sides. Some owners have had it done under warranty but I choose to do it myself so it was fixed to my liking.
Attached Thumbnails
D3AE2E9F-6F02-4639-A944-5B9856C0E1A3.jpg   656EB998-E6A2-4F17-A98E-B5D7C18EBFD5.jpg   976B24C7-81DB-4552-90B6-294B20109C5A.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Good info. Thanks! I’ll be under the unit tomorrow for a look. I’ve had it 3 years almost, but haven’t been able to use it during a significant amount of needed repairs. Hoping to sort out anything that the dealer didn’t fix, or fixed wrong. Love the unit and hoping it has a future with us.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

Second reply. Thanks again! Ours is a 2016 37TS. Any idea if they dealt with issue in that model year?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

We have a 2015, and ours has the same design issue.

Honestly, I've been putting off the fix that many of the other Seneca owners have posted on JOF. I've been studying the various solutions that others have engineered, evaluated the feedback that each have offered as part of the endeavor and am getting real close to doing the same thing ourselves. It is only a matter of time before someone has a ruptured tank (although I am not recalling any mention of one on the JOF) We often travel with a full tank, and don't want to ruin a trip with having a rupture.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

I’ll have to read through more of the replies. I’m still finding my way around here. Good on all you folk for taking time to post your mods, updates, and repairs! Did anyone pay a dealer to do the water tank support, and if so, what kind of price did they have to pay? Thanks again all.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachlander View Post
I’ll have to read through more of the replies. I’m still finding my way around here. Good on all you folk for taking time to post your mods, updates, and repairs! Did anyone pay a dealer to do the water tank support, and if so, what kind of price did they have to pay? Thanks again all.
I had my unit back to the factory for some repairs on my kitchen slide and mentioned my sagging freshwater tank. The Jayco Service Center added metal braces under the tank bridging the frame rails which then supported the compartment floor that the tank sits on. This was warranty work so no cost to me.

After I got it back and saw what they did I noticed the same sagging happening to the black and gray tanks, I went ahead and added similar braces myself. Now all three tanks are better supported. These mods cost me the price of the steel and the sweat equity installing them myself!

You can see the cross braces in the picture below taken when I was installing the lift system for my roll on/roll off sewer tote carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
20180725_084258_resized_1.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #10

Not just a Seneca issue, a Jayco issue across the board.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #11

saw this on another site

would be the way I'll approach the issue if ever needed.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060563.jpg