Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #1

Water Tank Sagging?

Is this a problem with anyone else?

Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #2

This is a fairly common issue and there are a variety of solutions that people have done. There are a couple causes of this. the first is the plastic belly pan they use, this wraps over the rails of the chassis but there is a 1.5 in gap between the rails and the bottom of the pan, thus when you fill the pan deforms unit it hits the rails. The second issue is 10-20% of the tank is hung out over empty space with no support, thus it starts to deform and results in less water capacity as the overflow vents become lower that the back part of the tank.

Solutions range from installing metal or wood sleepers in the space between the rails and the outer pan and then installing a plywood platform under the tank. There is a post from last year that outlines several of these solutions.

I installed a plywood deck and reconfigured the vent lines to eliminate the water loss while driving with full fresh water tank. These two changes have increased the water storage by almost 15 gallons and we are approaching the actual water level these tanks are supposed to hold close to 70 gallons.

One possible additional solution would be to cut the belly pan and allow the tank to sit on a platform on the rails, you then could install a larger tanks and pick up an additional 10-20 gallons of water, While this is an option cutting the pan might cause more issues than it solves.

You can use the google search function NORTY1 has posted and find these older posts.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

Dealer reinforced mine under warranty
Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Jayco factory service reinforced mine with 2 X 4s under warranty - it will work but less than “ professional “ - I plan on replacing them with square or rectangle tubing and using it as a mount for a storage compartment of some kind Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Jayco factory service reinforced mine with 2 X 4s under warranty - it will work but less than “ professional “ - I plan on replacing them with square or rectangle tubing and using it as a mount for a storage compartment of some kind Les
Like Mike, Jayco did mine under warranty. It was done at the Middlebury Service Center when it was there for other warranty work. Jayco installed square steel tubing spanning the frame rails, drilling through the rails to secure the tubing in place. It has worked so well I duplicated what Jayco did where my grey and black tanks are located. They were also deforming down when full.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Like Mike, Jayco did mine under warranty. It was done at the Middlebury Service Center when it was there for other warranty work. Jayco installed square steel tubing spanning the frame rails, drilling through the rails to secure the tubing in place. It has worked so well I duplicated what Jayco did where my grey and black tanks are located. They were also deforming down when full.
Can you share pictures of that? Thank you!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Weather permitting, will do today. I have to be underneath to finish up my ramp/mounting mechanism for my Barker sewer tote!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Weather permitting, will do today. I have to be underneath to finish up my ramp/mounting mechanism for my Barker sewer tote!
Pictures of the sewer tote rack would be nice also. That's one of my future "If I live long enough" projects.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Pictures of the sewer tote rack would be nice also. That's one of my future "If I live long enough" projects.
Here is a teaser, the ramp itself. Working today to fab a bracket for the Lippert winch I purchased to lower it for removal and then hoist it up for travel. Will also install a latch so the winch isn't the only thing holding the ramp/tote up while underway. I have no intention of off-loading my tote while moving!
Attached Thumbnails
20180717_195006.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

Great Picture! That's space I've always wanted to take advantage of.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
The first picture is for the freshwater tank that Jayco did. The actually drilled the frame to bolt the new crossbars in place.

The second picture is where my black tank sits, I added the crossbars but elected not to try to drill the frame. Instead I angled self-tapping screws into the new crossbar supports using fender washers to pinch things together. Has not moved at all. Grey tank sits over the axle, did the same thing there just no good picture!
Attached Thumbnails
20180724_070744.jpg   20180724_070819.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
The first picture is for the freshwater tank that Jayco did. The actually drilled the frame to bolt the new crossbars in place.

The second picture is where my black tank sits, I added the crossbars but elected not to try to drill the frame. Instead I angled self-tapping screws into the new crossbar supports using fender washers to pinch things together. Has not moved at all. Grey tank sits over the axle, did the same thing there just no good picture!

Fantastic!! Thank you!!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

Rob, how big are the rails in between the frame and plastic holding the fresh water tank? I see by posts that some are using 2x4's and was wondering if yours were that thickness also. Trying to figure which way to go with mine also. Three trips to Alaska has really left a sagging spot in the plastic. Thanks Mark
PrairieWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieWanderer View Post
Rob, how big are the rails in between the frame and plastic holding the fresh water tank? I see by posts that some are using 2x4's and was wondering if yours were that thickness also. Trying to figure which way to go with mine also. Three trips to Alaska has really left a sagging spot in the plastic. Thanks Mark
The rails Jayco installed were 1" square steel tubing. I followed their lead and used the same. In my case, that was all there was room for. When I did the areas under my black and grey tank I had to push up on the sagging compartment floor to get the rails to slide in place.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #15

Thanks Rob. I was thinking 1 inch would be about right. Just have to get some materials now.
PrairieWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #16

Water Tank Sagging?

So I did my tank supports over the weekend. Gotta say pretty easy. There was a 3' x 4' x 1" piece of styrofoam under the tank which was deforming it to begin with. Before I did the support I measured that I was able to fit 64 gallons into the tank. Figuring that I would be able to put more in after I finished the supports, I filled it again and got it to fit .... you guessed it 64 gallons. Brochure states 84 gallons including hot water heater which is tankless so tank is 0. I looked at the tank after it filled. It was nice and square and no deformity. Is it possible the last owner switched the tank? I doubt it as there was no evidence of replacement that I could witness. BUT, the last owner did swap out the tankless water heater for a tank version. Either way the job is done and I can relax better going down the road with the support in place.

Thanks to the group for letting me know about this problem, would never have caught it.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpastorini View Post
So I did my tank supports over the weekend. Gotta say pretty easy. There was a 3' x 4' x 1" piece of styrofoam under the tank which was deforming it to begin with. Before I did the support I measured that I was able to fit 64 gallons into the tank. Figuring that I would be able to put more in after I finished the supports, I filled it again and got it to fit .... you guessed it 64 gallons. Brochure states 84 gallons including hot water heater which is tankless so tank is 0. I looked at the tank after it filled. It was nice and square and no deformity. Is it possible the last owner switched the tank? I doubt it as there was no evidence of replacement that I could witness. BUT, the last owner did swap out the tankless water heater for a tank version. Either way the job is done and I can relax better going down the road with the support in place.

Thanks to the group for letting me know about this problem, would never have caught it.

What year and model are you working on. I get exactly 72 gallons in the fresh water tank of our 2018.5 RB. Being we have the S2 chassis with the 100 gallon fuel tank in this area it makes the work a little harder as you have no direct access. I was only able to get 3/4" material height in between the frame and the plastic compartment and used 3/4" x 1 1/2" x .120 steel tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
i-g46cChz-X2.jpg   i-RBPBDnz-X2.jpg   i-rrchcwq-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #18

My 2018 ts has a 72 gallon tank 43×39×10 inches. Which calculates out to 72 gallons. This issue with tank capacity on this is that the top of the tank is no support and due to gravity it can sag up to 2 inches at the center. Loss of an inch of height will reduce full volume by 7 gallons. No sure which model has 80 gallon tank but the same principal would be in effect. You could be losing volume from the top collapsing.

Carefully filling my tank past "full" I can slip in an extra 3 to 5 gallons and the top will be relatively flat.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #19

2014 seneca 37 ts
Old 09-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #20

someone else just posted on another thread that they measured 64 gallons as well. So I am less stressed about it.