Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #21

The term 'siphoning', despite almost everyone using it, is not what is happening.

These freshwater tanks are not very deep at all.
But they ARE very very wide. And they do not have internal baffles.

So every time you stop, pull out, or turn, the water sloshes around inside the tank and some of it goes out the overflow. It's like a tsunami traveling back and forth across the tank. If you drive on a road with a crown, the water will go to the downhill side, and run out the overflow.

Despite what the dealer or Jayco may say, it is a very common problem.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #22

So when I fill my tank until water starts to come out the over flow and shut the water supply off, then it continues to drain out another ten to fifteen gallons without moving the unit is not siphoning? I determined the 10 to 15 gallons based on several refills with a water meter after the tank finished draining. I don’t agree with the sloshing out the over flow. I had a 97 Jayco Eagle 303RTS and it never sloshed water out.
Case79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case79 View Post
So when I fill my tank until water starts to come out the over flow and shut the water supply off, then it continues to drain out another ten to fifteen gallons without moving the unit is not siphoning? I determined the 10 to 15 gallons based on several refills with a water meter after the tank finished draining. I don’t agree with the sloshing out the over flow. I had a 97 Jayco Eagle 303RTS and it never sloshed water out.

I agree with you. I have filled my tank, shut off the water supply, and saw 3/4 of my water continue to come out the vents. Since moving the vents higher , I no longer have that problem. I fill tank till it comes out the vent, when I shut off water supply, it does not come out the vent anymore.

I will admit, when traveling with the vents open, before I relocated them, water would slosh around and I could see it spilling on the Highway.
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #24

I'm not sure why the builder puts in 3 vent connections in the top of the tank, so close together. I'm not sure if it is a volume thing or 3 small holes instead of one big one to stop the volume when the unit is sloshing down the road.

I feel part of the problem is that we all over fill to get the absolute maximum amount of water in our tanks and also, its the simplest way to insure the tank is full.

I do believe "Syphoning" is the proper term and that is by creating a vacuum and the water is pulled into the vacuum of the water into the drain tube or tubes.

For us, we have resolved the problem by the valve on the end of the vent tube, that I ran over the back of the tank and ending in the Utility compartment. We fill until water comes out the tube and close the valve. After 2 showers, I connect a hose extension. Hold the hose extension above the tank and let air enter the vent line. Sometimes I have to blow into the line to push the water in the fill tube back in to the tank and then you can here a rush of air venting in to the tank.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
I feel part of the problem is that we all over fill to get the absolute maximum amount of water in our tanks and also, its the simplest way to insure the tank is full....
I tied the three overflow lines together with tees and added a valve at the end.
The first time I filled the tank after I made this modification, I let the hose keep filling the tank after I saw water coming out of the overflow, until I thought the flow was substantial. This was a mistake. After I got to the campground I opened the valve, and a lot of water was coming out. I closed the valve, and used some water out of the tank using the pump. The next morning I opened the valve and a good bit of water was still coming out. I realized that I had overfilled the tank, and the top of the tank may have been bulging upwards.
Now I stop filling the tank when the first trickle of water comes out.

I'm not debating whether this was siphoning, or it was excess water coming out of the tank because the top of the tank was bulged upwards.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #26
Site Team

Here's a picture of a 39 gallon fresh water tank. Made by Ameri Kart (which made all the tanks under our TT) and sold by Recpro. It's only 6" high, thus it's prone to bulging, and sloshing water out the over flow tubes. We have 2 of these under our trailer. https://www.recpro.com/39-gallon-rv-...SABEgIsnPD_BwE

Bad idea? maybe, but if you want a tank that's less prone to squeezing water out, it would be under your bed due to the height of it, and that would take up most of the storage under there. That exact scenario was in out '96 Fleetwood TT,

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #27

So, is the best solution to close off two of the three overflows and raise the remaining one or close them all off and add a gravity fill?

I just want a simple solution...one without having to remember to remove a plug or open a valve.

I have never had a problem with a gravity fill.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #28

I had 3 valves located at the lower edge of my rig. A pain to deal with. I recently extended all 3 hoses up into my water fill/outside shower cabinet and am now done with the hassle.

I do have valves on them but so far have not needed to close them. When filling it is easier to see the water right in front of your face rather than having to constantly look underneath. I am happy!

In my opinion, getting the hoses above tank level is the best option. Can't have a siphon uphill (well actually you can but it would also require the hose to go lower). If water is flowing out of vent hoses above tank level, you are overfilling.

Just my observation.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #29

I just purchased a Greyhawk 30x and have same three lines that need to be tied together. Can you shoot me a picture of how you tied them together. Also how did you run vent line from there?

Thanks in advance,

Keith
KeithTopliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #30

BTW, I got under the rig and no way could I see the vent line attachment points to the water tank. The water tank is buried up inside the frame and tubes are against the side of the tank. No way can I raise them up above water level.

Keith
KeithTopliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #31

What I did was purchase a three 1/2 inch to one 3/4 inch plastic manifold. They sale this at Lowes in the PEX plumbing section. I used stainless steel connectors to fasten to the 3 overflow hoses and connected a 3/4 hose to the output. Imran that to near my water fill and put in a reducer down to 1/2 inch and connected to a valve just like my low point drain valve. Had to drill a new hole to mount it but turned out good. Only thing I have to be careful about is to not use high pressure filling the last few gallons. I'll try to get pics later and post them here.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #32

Ok so please explain "overfilling the tank"? When I fill, I close my overflow valve and fill until water backs out the gravity feed fitting. I then cap the feed fitting and move on. Is there an issue with doing that? I guess I figured that if I have a 40 gal tank - I want it full! In a previous discussion of this issue some one suggested a gravity feed fitting that had a vent in it. Mine has that but I don't think it is connected?? That would resolve the overflow and negative pressure issue I think. I plan to remove my feed fitting in the spring and figure out a way to do that.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #33

Since you will no longer have 3 open overflow hoses you will not want high pressure in the tank while filling. I use a gallon meter do I'll know when it gets near full so I can slow it down. The valve on the side is open and you'll see water coming out when full. Then I stop the water and close the valve. When I stop and need water I open the valve so the tank won't collapse.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbrjk View Post
Ok so please explain "overfilling the tank"? When I fill, I close my overflow valve and fill until water backs out the gravity feed fitting. I then cap the feed fitting and move on. Is there an issue with doing that? I guess I figured that if I have a 40 gal tank - I want it full! In a previous discussion of this issue some one suggested a gravity feed fitting that had a vent in it. Mine has that but I don't think it is connected?? That would resolve the overflow and negative pressure issue I think. I plan to remove my feed fitting in the spring and figure out a way to do that.

You are in a class C forum. We don't have a gravity feed or associated vent tube. The fill is coming in through a hose connection just like your city water connection.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
Since you will no longer have 3 open overflow hoses you will not want high pressure in the tank while filling. I use a gallon meter do I'll know when it gets near full so I can slow it down. The valve on the side is open and you'll see water coming out when full. Then I stop the water and close the valve. When I stop and need water I open the valve so the tank won't collapse.
This. Dang I do miss my gravity feed though, so much simpler than crawling under to open/close valves.